Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 AM

I always wonder what the BART police would have said had those 6 people not capture the action on cell phones.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM

If I was a cop, I wouldn't have issued a citation in their situation. I mean heck ... they didn't have any time to spare. The baby was breething air 6 minutes after they reached the hospital parking lot. Sure, 102 is fast, but it was on the interstate. People blow my doors off everytime I get on one .. even if I speed up to 80 .. it seems like it still isn't fast enough for the average Joe and they pass on by. So, why not give an honest couple with an honest excuse for speeding a break?

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_17015306

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-05-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Comb, I'm fine with my local cops knocking some heads, in general. But over here at least, a large amount of them no longer work for us, they work for the system. D, this is where I both agree and disagree with you. It doesn't have to be privatized to become corrupt. Police - judges - fines - pay police - judges - fines ad infinum.

Pete
Problem is it comes down to trust and common sense. In the 1950's, if a child was caught scrumping apples it wasn't unknown for a cop to give him a cuff round the ear. Not hard enough to hurt, but hard enough to embarrass; to show him up in front of his friends. If the child was caught playing on a bomb-site left over from WW2 the cuff would be hard enough to hurt. Better to leave a temporary mark than have to explain to the parents that little Johnny's under half a ton of rubble because a wall collapsed.

But what would happen now if a kid comes home crying that a policeman had hit him? Would the parents consider that there may have been a valid reason, or react with anger first?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Come visit Prince George's County, MD. Their police force is kind of a cross between the Gestapo and the Keystone Cops. Really.
I hear that the police force "behaves stupidly" over that way too.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Problem is it comes down to trust and common sense. In the 1950's, if a child was caught scrumping apples it wasn't unknown for a cop to give him a cuff round the ear. Not hard enough to hurt, but hard enough to embarrass; to show him up in front of his friends. If the child was caught playing on a bomb-site left over from WW2 the cuff would be hard enough to hurt. Better to leave a temporary mark than have to explain to the parents that little Johnny's under half a ton of rubble because a wall collapsed.

But what would happen now if a kid comes home crying that a policeman had hit him? Would the parents consider that there may have been a valid reason, or react with anger first?
Here? Lawsuits. The parents would see the marks on their kid and see dollar signs. $$$$$. Then, this would lead to more regulation disallowing police to "assault" people.

Actually, I believe such things have already come to pass, both here and in your corner of the world.

Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I hear that the police force "behaves stupidly" over that way too.
That was more related to the police assuming a black man didn't belong in an "upscale" neighborhood. They were wrong, it was his legal residence.

Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That was more related to the police assuming a black man didn't belong in an "upscale" neighborhood. They were wrong, it was his legal residence.

Dave
An honest mistake.

I thought that everyone knew that wealthy black folks lived in deluxe apartments in the sky.

Chas
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Comb, I see your concern. Unfortunately the folks I'm talking about either aren't kids or the kind of kids that are long past crying, and I'm not talking about age, sadly.

Pete
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
An honest mistake.

I thought that everyone knew that wealthy black folks lived in deluxe apartments in the sky.

Chas
ROTFLMAO!!!

Pete
Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
An honest mistake.

Chas
One would think so, but apparently not. We have a neighborhood, just about a mile down the road from here. It's been a predominantly African-American neighborhood for a very long time. But, at some point it became community for the affluent blacks in the area. There is probably not a single home over there that goes for less than half a million.
I drove my bigot brother over there once, and told him to look around, "Yeah, so?", "Nice place, Huh?", "It's f**kin' beautiful. So what?", "It's nearly 100% black."...........He still didn't get it. He told me a little later that I was an asshole for putting him, "in danger like that."

In danger of what?

They were probably afraid we were there to rob them..................

Dave