Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Admin

AFL-CIO Mission Statement-American Heros

"The AFL-CIO exists to represent people who work. The mission of the AFL-CIO is expressed in our Constitution:

The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations is an expression of the hopes and aspirations of the working people of America.
We resolve to fulfill the yearning of the human spirit for liberty, justice and community; to advance individual and associational freedom; to vanquish ****oppression, privation and cruelty in all their forms; and to join with all persons, of whatever nationality or faith, who cherish the cause of democracy and the call of solidarity, to grace the planet with these achievements.
We dedicate ourselves to improving the lives of working families, bringing fairness and dignity to the workplace and securing social equity in the Nation.
The AFL-CIO envisions a future in which work and all people who work are valued, respected and rewarded. While the AFL-CIO represents millions of working people who belong to unions and have the benefits of union membership, the labor federation embraces all people who share the common bond of work.

Work is what we do to better ourselves, to build dreams and to support our families. But work is more than that. Work cures, creates, builds, innovates and shapes the future. Work connects us all.

The AFL-CIO is an organization of people who work. We help lead a movement for social and economic justice in America and the world."

From the AFL-CIO Website http://www.aflcio.org/About/Our-Mission-and-Vision

How is it in this day and age an average citizen is coerced and their right to organize is co opted by such companies as Home Depot, Wal-Mart and many other corporations. After these giants breeze into town, they systematically undercut local businesses with blatantly unfair and illegal trade practices and conspire to drive them from the marketplace. After which the unemployed workers are subjugated into work contracts that forbid them from having any voice or say in their work and pay.

These faceless corporations force their employee to sign a contract forbidding them from organizing in any way, shape or form. The contract stipulates that any such activity is grounds for dismissal. This applies to the time off the clock,24-7-365.
Ask around, I am not making this up.
How is it that these companies can shoulder their way into a community and proceed to dismantle the rights and hard won protections bought with life, limb and toil of previous generations?
Am I the only one outraged? Am I the voice in the wilderness crying for justice?
I hope not.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Area Man

I thought "Yellow Dog" contracts were supposed to be illegal?

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...w+Dog+Contract

Apparently, they found a way around it. And, I'm sure there were some big, stinking rat conservative activist federal judges behind it.

Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I thought "Yellow Dog" contracts were supposed to be illegal?

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...w+Dog+Contract

Apparently, they found a way around it. And, I'm sure there were some big, stinking rat conservative activist federal judges behind it.

Dave
As I did, I was stunned to hear from an employee that a non organizational clause was in his employment contract. After looking around I've found a reference http://www.arts.cornell.edu/econ/CAE/06-01.pdf that appears interesting. I've read through only less than half of it so far. I'll report back once I've read more.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Two Princeton professors, Larry Bartels and Martin Gilens did a study on what politicians do and what their constituents of various backgrounds want them to do. Most policy changes do not represent anything the bottom 10% of constituents want, little or nothing the middle class wants, but everything the top 10% wants. Money talks.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

As a guy who managed large public sector construction for about twenty years before coming to DC, I was pretty agnostic about the labor unions and their role in construction (other than their silly work rules often left me shaking my head).

However, once I got here and negotiated with the big-wigs at various union headquarters downtown on behalf of 3 different Federal agencies and served with them on several national consensus standards committees, I lost a lot of respect for them. At the highest levels, the unions are pretty heavy-handed and corrupt (like much else in Washington, BTW). Some are better than others (Operating Engineers and Electrical Workers seem pretty squared away, while the Building Trades and OCAW (oil, chemical, atomic workers) were a rough, malicious bunch.)