Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Jigsawed

Climate change and the Syrian conflict: It is believed that the transfer to urban centers in Syria of large numbers of young men, who were driven out of northern Syria by the 3 year drought (2007-2010) contributed to the Syrian conflict.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...lict-in-syria/

Last edited by Dondilion; 09-06-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Persona non grata

We're long overdue for a major thinning of the herd.

We may have been able to sustain a world population of 2-3 billion like it was when I was born, IF we had really worked on living in a sustainable way. But we had already let that horse out of the barn long before. Then, on top of it we proceeded to breed like rabbits so that there are now 7.3 billion of us motherfuckers.

So the way I see it we're pretty much fucked no matter what we do from now on.

Most of the time, I try not to think about this because it's depressing as Hell.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 09-06-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 AM

Actually, with equitable distribution of resources, the world can sustain a much larger population than we currently have. The trouble comes in trying to achieve that equitable distribution. The "haves" don't like sharing and the "commodifiers" will try to corner the market on everything and then sell it to those who can afford to pay.

Of course, global warming is a game changer because it may make even current population levels unsustainable. Also, it will make (has made) "commodities" like food and water scarcer and lore costly. This, in turn, makes the capitalists all the more eager to control access to them.

It's going to get very, very bad.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Manipulation of emotions is a weak answer to the stark reality of dangers to Europe posed by the transfer of Muslims, especially those from the Middle East conflict zones.
First of all, Dondillon, these refugees are people like you and me. Your anti Islam agitation is pretty tiring. I cannot understand what's got into you.

However, what this human race need is a reduce of brainless blabla by politicians and other authorities, and and increase of empathy in order to make possible a future for our human race.

Germany will accept tenthousands of civil war refugees (no refugees by economical reasons). And that is good. In the next years much more qualified labourer will retire than young qualified labourer will succeed in these jobs. If Germany wants to hold it's high prosperity it needs young immigrants. By the way - there are a lot of qualified people amongst the refugees, doctors etc...
Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
First of all, Dondilion, these refugees are people like you and me. Your anti Islam agitation is pretty tiring. I cannot understand what's got into you.

However, what this human race need is a reduce of brainless blabla by politicians and other authorities, and and increase of empathy in order to make possible a future for our human race.

Germany will accept tenthousands of civil war refugees (no refugees by economical reasons). And that is good. In the next years much more qualified labourer will retire than young qualified labourer will succeed in these jobs. If Germany wants to hold it's high prosperity it needs young immigrants. By the way - there are a lot of qualified people amongst the refugees, doctors etc...
It's emotional, as much as the empathy he dismisses. To be clear, most anyone, including myself, 'fears' or 'hates' threatening enemies, and most anyone, including I'm sure Dondilion, feels sad empathy for a poor drowned boy. The difference is which of these emotions do we choose to feed, which one is stronger in us, which one is decisive.

And it's important to keep in mind that there are other courses between total war, and defenseless charity. One can have some of each sort of thing. One should, I would say.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Few feelings are stronger in most people than the desire to care for and protect little children. The stark image of the young boy on the beach is going to be historic in it's impact, joining a small handful of news pictures that remain in our minds, and change the course of nations.
I would hope so.

But I can't help wondering how many dead 3 year old Mexican children litter the desert in the American Southwest. Where are their pictures?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Actually, with equitable distribution of resources, the world can sustain a much larger population than we currently have. The trouble comes in trying to achieve that equitable distribution. The "haves" don't like sharing and the "commodifiers" will try to corner the market on everything and then sell it to those who can afford to pay.
An "equitable distribution" at 7.3 Billion human beings plus won't leave anything for the other species that live on our planet. Our oceans are well along a trajectory toward death right now. That's 2/3 of our planets biosphere. Once they are gone we'll be gone too.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
An "equitable distribution" at 7.3 Billion human beings plus won't leave anything for the other species that live on our planet. Our oceans are well along a trajectory toward death right now. That's 2/3 of our planets biosphere. Once they are gone we'll be gone too.
So? We'll just eat them.

I agree that the trajectory is bad, actually catastrophic, but it's a trajectory, not an inevitability. We can halt it, perhaps even reverse it. Whether we will is another matter and I'm not too optimistic. It would require an entirely new paradigm (or, failing that, a very ancient one) for human society and I suspect that the requisite will for the new model isn't there and probably won't be until it's too late, leaving us the ancient model as out only option.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Let do some formulating,

For the positive, some of many.

Ever improvements in science and medicine, thus lowering infant death rates and increasing life spans. The use of HiVAC to increase our comforts and live in areas of extremes. The ability to reroute water allowing crops and humans to survive in deserts.
Able to increase food production to unimagined levels.
Replacing ever increasingly human tasks of the past with machines.

Some of the negatives for the unsustainable lifestyle we have now,

Increasing CO2 sea level and temps.
Mass extinctions of other life forms.
Drastic swings in weather patterns and norms.
Pollution.
Clear cutting forests.
Stripping the oceans of it bounty in factory fishing fleets.

Just the rise in sea level in a country like Bangladesh in the next 100 years alone will displace many millions. Then add the projected population growth. Some dark days ahead for mankind.

On ISIS, just why I ask, from the outside looking in. just fix the neighborhood so they will stay back home? The money being spent now could be used to rebuild an area for a start and get them to fight their own fight. Secure and area with broad support from the local countries and other like the US and Europe. Build a fighting force of those effected to retake and hold their homes.

Sorry but I learned a long time ago, you have to fight your own fights if you want results. Letting others is the way of the weak. Sending them home by force? The problem has gotten beyond that now. The powers that be have allowed this to grow because of inaction. Waiting for others to jump in.

My solution would be to create a safe area in Syria and westernize modernize the populace. Get the young behind our ""spoiled decadent"" open society. Have the populace see a future safe and secure with an vibrant economy. But this will cost many billions and years of commitments, thru many governments. So will not happen, continue putting out fires here and there, plugging leaks as they appear. The cheap quick and easy approach, the news cycle is ever changing to the next headline to distract.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 09-06-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
First of all, Dondillon, these refugees are people like you and me. Your anti Islam agitation is pretty tiring. I cannot understand what's got into you.

Again you are pure emotion and lack common sense.