Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:02 PM

So the fact that this mega storm will be impacting mostly Red states must surely be a sign to the Bible-thumping Evangelicals in those states, yes? I mean, in their primitive brains, this must be God’s wrath for their support of a president* who isn’t really a true believer. Or we need to start a conspiracy theory to that effect.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Don’t Worry, Guys: Pat Robertson’s Got Hurricane Florence Totally Under Control

https://www.indyweek.com/news/archiv...-under-control

Quote:
Televangelist Pat Robertson spoke at a special prayer service at his Christian Broadcasting Network today, ordering Hurricane Florence not to harm any of his facilities and to turn back out to sea.

Robertson claimed that when he first arrived in Virginia in 1961 to establish CBN, the region was threatened by Hurricane Esther, which he feared would destroy his fledgling network. As such, Robertson and his staff gathered in prayer and commanded the storm to shift course, which he claims miraculously happened because God stepped in to save CBN.

With another storm approaching, Robertson again gathered with CBN staff today to order Florence to veer away from land and produce no damage.

“I don’t want that thing to come in,” Robertson said. “I don’t want it to hurt Regent, I don’t wait it to hurt CBN, I don’t want it to tear up the beautiful campus, I don’t want it to tear these trees down, I don’t want to see any damage, I don’t want a bunch of glass flowing, and I don’t want [damage] all over this area that is counting on us to pray for them.”

Robertson then commanded Florence, in the name of Jesus, to change its path away from land and to spin off into the Atlantic ocean.

“We declare in the name of the Lord that you shall go no farther, you shall do no damage in this area,” he said. “We declare a shield of protection all over Tidewater and we declare a shield of protection over those innocent people in the path of this hurricane. In Jesus’ holy name, be out to sea!”
Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 AM
Mutated Member

Can anybody tell me why a lot (most?) of American houses are built like houses of cards?

A lady - living close to the landfall area - has been interviewed and told the reporters that she will not leave her house, she feels totally safe because it is 150 years old. In the background one could see it. A nice red house built of sturdy material, probably stone.

However - I really hope that here will be only material loss, and no casualties...
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Can anybody tell me why a lot (most?) of American houses are built like houses of cards?

Could be the fact regulation, oversight cost money to the builders. Allowing short cuts cheaper materials. Who then pass the savings along to the consumer. Who both roll the dice hoping to win and a day will never come like this one.

That's my guess any way.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Ready

Right on the coast, codes mandate new construction be fortress-like. Recently stayed in N. Myrtle Beach. The sliding glass doors leading to the balcony were so heavy one could hardly move them.

Most of US construction, unlike in Europe, dates to after the time of manufactured dimensional lumber and the nailed frame walls it makes possible. That's why the thinner walls, compared to joined timber or solid masonry.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Mutated Member

Another very funny issue is the high-voltage lines, mostly on ridiculous "wooden sticks". Billions and billions of tax payers money disappears in senseless military stuff insted of modernizing the supply of electricity.

I think this is one of the funniest issues when it comes to the "greatest" nation on earth.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 09-14-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Another very funny issue is the high-voltage lines, mostly on ridiculous "wooden sticks". Billions and billions of tax payers money disappears in senseless military stuff insted of modernizing the supply of electricity.

I think this is one of the funniest issues when it comes to the "greatest" nation on earth.
Certainly a fair amount of infrastructure inertia. Money spent, working fine, it's not broken, until it breaks.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
So the fact that this mega storm will be impacting mostly Red states must surely be a sign to the Bible-thumping Evangelicals in those states, yes? I mean, in their primitive brains, this must be God’s wrath for their support of a president* who isn’t really a true believer. Or we need to start a conspiracy theory to that effect.
Ummmmm…………..

Here in Virginia, (an increasingly blue state), the usual Evangelical twits like Pat Robertson are doing a victory lap. Yes, Pat repelled the hurricane.