Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yeah, and Bush telling Pelosi 'you'll miss me' They said Bush left because he said it was out of control? I thought that was pretty good. Plus the fact they kept Obama informed, that surprised me. Perhaps things work better than we think.

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Area Man

"Obviously I've lost control of this meeting." is the direct quote.

As I recall, he had lost control of way more than that stupid meeting.

And, of course they kept Obama informed. By that point, everyone knew the old fart fumbling with the queue cards had no chance of winning the election.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

When you stop and think about it the wonder is that the housing bubble did not happen earlier. If ever there was an example of 'moral hazard' it has to be the mortgage sysem. Who was the barking idiot who dreampt it up?

Last edited by merrylander; 04-25-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I liked the story about the meeting called by McCain and the way he fumbled around with "queue-cards" and "mumbled incoherently" until one of the Republicans remarked, "Well, at this rate, I'LL be voting for Obama."...
And to think he was the smart/experienced one on the GOP ticket.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

He did have enough brains to call the meeting.... I suspect he's already having aging issues by then.

How partisan shall this be? They already mentioned that Obama will be shown to be FOC next installment. But that's no surprise

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Area Man

"foc"?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL! In keeping with our newfound genteelness I replaced 'S' with 'C' - same stuff different name

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
When you stop and think about it the wonder is that the housing bubble did not happen earlier. If ever there was an example of 'moral hazard' it has to be the mortgage sysem. Who was the barking idiot who dreampt it up?
Well, you don't have to be a financial wizard to see that writing mortgages in excess of the appraised value of the property, to people, basically with "no money down" since there is no way in hell by which they could ever qualify for a conventional loan, with payments which won't even cover the interest, is going to go to shit.

And if anyone has ever taken a few minutes to thumb through an old abstract, they will see that indeed prices do go down.

Chas
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, you don't have to be a financial wizard to see that writing mortgages in excess of the appraised value of the property, to people, basically with "no money down" since there is no way in hell by which they could ever qualify for a conventional loan, with payments which won't even cover the interest, is going to go to shit.

And if anyone has ever taken a few minutes to thumb through an old abstract, they will see that indeed prices do go down.

Chas
Which is why the repeal of Glass-Steagal, and thence a deregulation of the market was such a stroke of genius?
More of this, I say! We haven't had enough! Free these folks up to do more damage! It's the only rational answer!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Which is why the repeal of Glass-Steagal, and thence a deregulation of the market was such a stroke of genius?
More of this, I say! We haven't had enough! Free these folks up to do more damage! It's the only rational answer!
I just watched the first 2 hours of the show. It was indeed both interesting and disheartening watching all the politicians line up in favor of the repeal of Glass-Steagal in order to ensure that the US remained the center of int'l. finance. In retrospect, it was an overt and bipartisan effort by a bunch of clueless lawyers (our political class) that sold us down the river.

And while you're indeed correct in your assessment, Chas, what kind of regulatory system allows the "too big to fail" Wall Street firms (Lehman, AIG, Bear Stearns) invest so heavily in this toxic sh!t, while risking a global economic collapse in the process?