Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:34 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Did backpacking sort-of in Glacier National Park in 2018. Sleeping on ground was uncomfortable and cold as hell the first night (I basically had a screen tent and fly, and a very light sleeping bag, and the temp dipped into upper 30's up in the mountains. But found out those space blankets really do hold the body heat in. Did not attempt self-contained backcountry backpacking, just was going to day hike around from base camp. Found out even that was very challenging given altitude and steepness of trails. Never made it up to continental divide. My training in lowlands was not vigorous enough!
Wow! I wouldn't even attempt that! My problem was heat, humidity and bugs. The tent is a 10 x 10 canvas Kodiak. At 66lbs, it's useless for backpacking. But its great for cold weather....... On Tuesday, it hit 93 degrees with 71% humidity.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:44 PM

The biggest complaint on the whole aging BS in my experience, is just how it easy now it seems you will hurt something. A simple lifting a speaker or a quick twist reaching for something just over there. Being careful of where you step due to wearing cheaters or just age related issues.

Needed to clean the dryer of lint buildup as preventive maintenance. Had to attach the outlet hose and never remember the contortions along with flexibility it required. Glad it will now be another year or so before needing attention.

(edit......neck and back surgeries unsure if they attributed or help......could be just years of physical labor)

Last edited by Oerets; 06-20-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:54 PM

I worked for the local Department of Aging for over twenty years and we had a saying there...."Getting old ain't for sissies".
Old 06-20-2021, 09:24 PM
Admin

Right knee is titanium, left is for shit, hips ache, tore both rotator cuffs and I just had a steel plate installed with some hefty lag screws at L4 L5 (lower back). After a nasty staph infection I've got a IV infusion pump hooked up to a central line. At least my ankles still work.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I worked for the local Department of Aging for over twenty years and we had a saying there...."Getting old ain't for sissies".
or the faint of heart. I've found cannabis helps with my aches and pains. Good thing I live in a state that's legalized it.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:53 AM

I had open heart surgery in May 2018 to correct a birth defect.
At sixty five years old, I was in the pediatric intensive care unit at UC Davis. They figured since pediatric surgeons are experienced in fixing birth defects, they would be the best at fixing an old lady with a birth defect.
It was a trip. When I woke up, I saw on the ceiling a mural of the cow jumping over the moon which, I'm sure, was put there for the delight of sick children.

I'm so lucky they found the problem and could fix it.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Right knee is titanium, left is for shit, hips ache, tore both rotator cuffs and I just had a steel plate installed with some hefty lag screws at L4 L5 (lower back). After a nasty staph infection I've got a IV infusion pump hooked up to a central line. At least my ankles still work.
The knee business is pure Sadism. The docs wanted me to wait until I turn 65, continuing to wear bulky braces that helped with exactly nothing and get $700 shots that barely worked and my insurance doesn't cover about every three months for the following ten years.........

They were shocked when I went searching for a second opinion.

It didn't take long to find a surgeon and I had it replaced last October.

The upshot is that he told me it looked like the bad right medial meniscus was likely the result of an old injury and that my left knee may never need surgery.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM

The first MD was being cautious maybe.
Trying to have you wait as long as possible keeping you from the possibility of a second replacement down the road.

Then again I have fired Doctors in the past. Have no issues with doing so. It is my health and if not happy with service. Bye bye......
Old 06-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The first MD was being cautious maybe.
Trying to have you wait as long as possible keeping you from the possibility of a second replacement down the road.

Then again I have fired Doctors in the past. Have no issues with doing so. It is my health and if not happy with service. Bye bye......
Still have some drainage from the incision three weeks after the surgeon re-opened my back to clear out the staph infection. I'm about to go mad proctologist on his ass this Weds.

Grumble, grumble, grumble....
Old 06-21-2021, 10:58 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Still have some drainage from the incision three weeks after the surgeon re-opened my back to clear out the staph infection. I'm about to go mad proctologist on his ass this Weds.

Grumble, grumble, grumble....
I understand the frustration, but please try for frank reasoning...prep yourself and ask sound questions.