Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
no one is perfect I think his writings stand on themselves,the man Himself Racist or what ever, he still contributed and the I will not let knowledge slip by because of this.there has to be a more tolerant way to see men that did not meet the standards of political correctness.it serves no one to denounce ones teachings because that person was less than favorable in a moral climate. not to be defensive just to state a point.
Wanting to send Jews to the moon is not only extremely racist but dumb.

Why would you want to deprive the earth of a people with such a wealth
of knowledge.

Just check the Nobel prizes... Medicine, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
Approximately 20% of all Nobel and 38% of US National Medal of Science Awards.

Starting from 1933 Nazi Germany deprived Jews of meaningful employment and lost some of the most brilliant scientists and doctors of that time.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Wanting to send Jews to the moon is not only extremely racist but dumb.

Why would you want to deprive the earth of a people with such a wealth
of knowledge.

Just check the Nobel prizes... Medicine, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
Approximately 20% of all Nobel and 38% of US National Medal of Science Awards.

Starting from 1933 Nazi Germany deprived Jews of meaningful employment and lost some of the most brilliant scientists and doctors of that time.

it works both ways,we learn from all people good and bad,did we not learn from hitler the most hideous human ever born.And look at how the Jewish People rebounded.I just think we lose a lot of knowledge in our closed mind attitude we have about people because of their personal beliefs.granted Joseph Campbell would not make a Impact in today's climate as he did in the early part of the last century.Like some Black guy said,Free Your Mind And Your Ass will Follow,The kingdom of Heaven is within and Think It aint Illegal Yet!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
no one is perfect I think his writings stand on themselves,the man Himself Racist or what ever, he still contributed and the I will not let knowledge slip by because of this.there has to be a more tolerant way to see men that did not meet the standards of political correctness.it serves no one to denounce ones teachings because that person was less than favorable in a moral climate. not to be defensive just to state a point.
Well...everybody's got a right to their druthers, eh? My druthers shift quickly when I find out the guy lecturing me on what oughta be valued and how life oughta be lived, turns out to be a racist and bigot who believes progressives are the ones dragging the culture down. Sometimes the message just doesn't trump the messenger. But that's just me, I guess.

I didn't need Joseph Campbell to be perfect...just a little less hypocritical.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-09-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

As a matter of fact Campbell was preceded by Sir James George Frazier and his work "The Golden Bough" and there should be a copy of it around here somewhere.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Well...everybody's got a right to their druthers, eh? My druthers shift quickly when I find out the guy lecturing me on what oughta be valued and how life oughta be lived, turns out to be a racist and bigot who believes progressives are the ones dragging the culture down. Sometimes the message just doesn't trump the messenger. But that's just me, I guess.

I didn't need Joseph Campbell to be perfect...just a little less hypocritical.
Ike, We are all hypocritical,But you are right it is freedom of choice.his teachings are not really what I would call required reading. But I would dare to say most men from his time period were most likely bigots of some type.it is all in our attitude of the nature of reality and our perception and actions.this world holds amazing discoveries every day.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Ike, We are all hypocritical,But you are right it is freedom of choice.his teachings are not really what I would call required reading. But I would dare to say most men from his time period were most likely bigots of some type.it is all in our attitude of the nature of reality and our perception and actions.this world holds amazing discoveries every day.
In 1969 he must have been aware of the chronicles of Nazi Germany.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM

all I can say is it is good we all have high standards and live exemplary lives.

And I think the consensus is in on Joseph Campbell the Bigot Racist he is.one thing I will say it was never my intention to take his side,because I dont agree with his beliefs.but only on a academic level that is all I have to say on the matter.I merely wanted to point out the scholarly attributes and not his personal beliefs.funny how we can manipulate and steer a topic.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Banned

Y'know...to be fair to the memory of Joseph Campbell there is nothing in any video, audio or any other record of him saying any of this stuff. It's all reports from former colleagues who, for some reason, decided to hold on to it until after he was gone. So there could be thoughtful reasons for this, or vindictive ones, I suppose. Most of those making the reports however, were longtime colleagues and fairly distinguished in their own right, so...that's all I have to say about that, I guess.