Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM

well any way I am going to dive in and find the meaning of life,like it really matters anyway.life is just a moment.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Exactly!
that is my cup of tea ,I study man and his ideas so i should enjoy these.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Exactly!
Damn! You are blunt!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Kinda Like Bill Moyers
Joseph Campbell is one of my heroes and I have read most of his work. He was George Lucas's mentor.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoi View Post
Joseph Campbell is one of my heroes and I have read most of his work. He was George Lucas's mentor.
Yes from listening to his opening lecture on Ultimate Loyalty,God Or Man.he is good at getting it out and in a understandable way for a simpleton as I.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Yes from listening to his opening lecture on Ultimate Loyalty,God Or Man.he is good at getting it out and in a understandable way for a simpleton as I.
His books are amazing. Get the Power of Myth. The Power of Myth is a pretty good one and easy to read.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

Thanks a lot but I still need to finish Paul Tillich and C.S. Lewis.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Banned

Bill Moyers made Joseph Campbell, at least as a popular cultural icon. Even I must admit that those old PBS interviews and presentations were impressive and I was a fan of Campbell's for a long time. It began to slip as I got older and recognized the nature of the sort of dreamy and unspecific tenets of his "philosophy." And then I found out about the seamy underside of Joseph Campbell. There are clear indications from a number of people that he was racist, anti-Semitic, and dismissive of "liberals", grouping them with Jews and Communists. The Power of Myth was almost a bible in our house for many years.

Quote:
Roy Finch, a professor emeritus of philosophy who knew Campbell for 20 years at Sarah Lawrence, said Campbell was ''a cryptofascist'' who ''could be reckless in expressing his views.'' These remarks are in a letter he wrote to The New York Review.

In a telephone interview, Professor Finch tried to put Campbell into an intellectual context necessary, he said, to understand him. Campbell, he said, was an admirer of figures like Nietzsche, Oswald Spengler and Ezra Pound, all of whom contended that Western civilization was threatened with the rot of decadence. Western civilization, Campbell said, needed to be reinvigorated by what he might have called the heroic values he associated with the heritage of the ancients, pre-classical Greeks, the Hindus, the Druids or the Celts, all subjects of his mythological investigations. 'Tended to Lump People'

Professor Finch said Campbell's ire came out of his preoccupation with Western decadence and included many people both past and present -Christians, Communists, liberals, Jews, even such Greek philosophers as Plato and Aristotle whom Campbell charged with sapping the Greek spirit of preclassical heroic virtue.

''Joe tended to lump people together,'' Professor Finch said. ''So, for example, if he's criticizing Communists, he might be inclined to lump them together with Jews. He thought the left-wing, liberal, Jewish, Communist point of view was part of the degeneration that was going on in our society, and his comments were in that context.'' - Richard Bernstein, NYT, 11/6/89

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/06/ar...-semitism.html
This, and additional things I've dug up, comments about black people, and after the moon landing in '69 how the moon would be a "good place to send Jews"... have put plenty of doubt in my head about someone that I once admired greatly.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-08-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 PM

Apparently like Scientology, Ayn Rand, and the John Birch Society, another intellectual pitfall I managed to bypass.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 07-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Bill Moyers made Joseph Campbell, at least as a popular cultural icon. Even I must admit that those old PBS interviews and presentations were impressive and I was a fan of Campbell's for a long time. It began to slip as I got older and recognized the nature of the sort of dreamy and unspecific tenets of his "philosophy." And then I found out about the seamy underside of Joseph Campbell. There are clear indications from a number of people that he was racist, anti-Semitic, and dismissive of "liberals", grouping them with Jews and Communists. The Power of Myth was almost a bible in our house for many years.

This, and additional things I've dug up, comments about black people, and after the moon landing in '69 how the moon would be a "good place to send Jews"... have put plenty of doubt in my head about someone that I once admired greatly.

no one is perfect I think his writings stand on themselves,the man Himself Racist or what ever, he still contributed and the I will not let knowledge slip by because of this.there has to be a more tolerant way to see men that did not meet the standards of political correctness.it serves no one to denounce ones teachings because that person was less than favorable in a moral climate. not to be defensive just to state a point.