We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Better yet, 1946.
I can't disagree. There's a sense of entitlement there that -- very much -- rivals the concept of Manifest Destiny in the Americas.

In this sense, what's the difference between Eastern US American Indian tribes and the current Palestinians? Today's Palestinians aren't counting on assistance from the French in order to be relevant, militarily...

Palestine DOES have a point that Israel is an "invented" nation that was forced upon the Middle East after WWII.

I'd be mad, too.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Area Man

Have you seen my posts on this issue in the "Something we can agree on?" thread, Zeke?
Check it out.

Dave
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I can't disagree. There's a sense of entitlement there that -- very much -- rivals the concept of Manifest Destiny in the Americas.

In this sense, what's the difference between Eastern US American Indian tribes and the current Palestinians? Today's Palestinians aren't counting on assistance from the French in order to be relevant, militarily...

Palestine DOES have a point that Israel is an "invented" nation that was forced upon the Middle East after WWII.

I'd be mad, too.
Of course, that completely ignores the history of the Jewish people in the Holy Land. The Israelis may have been in the area just as long, or longer, than the Palastinians.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Area Man

Using that logic, we could all go back to Africa and demand our rightful claim.

Dave
Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Dave
Yep. A piece of the Great Rift Valley has my name on it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Uh -- It was the Brits who ceded the land to Israel after WWII with UN approval. I believe Whosit & Schwartz hold the Title Insurance and the deed is clear..

In fact, Israel didn't take the West Bank from the Palestinians in 1967. I believe the tanks and soldiers that came into Israel thru Jerusalem had Jordanian flags on them. It should be JORDAN asking for that land back..

Netanyahu had to remind everyone that Palestinians refugees were created when Israel was immediately attacked after it's creation. But also thousands of Jews were evicted from Arab lands at the same time. More like the story of the India/Pakistan exchange when those countries split. ((And THAT one certainly hasn't been neighborly either)) Those daffy Brits...

And Manifest Destiny is a real crock. We should have left ALL of the Americas in the hands of European colonialists. Waited for them to push the Indians back, build an Interstate Hiway system and construct 2 DisneyWorlds. THEN, we could have grabbed it already developed... Our founders and pioneers really blew it..

Last edited by flacaltenn; 05-21-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Uh -- It was the Brits who ceded the land to Israel after WWII with UN approval. I believe Whosit & Schwartz hold the Title Insurance and the deed is clear..

In fact, Israel didn't take the West Bank from the Palestinians in 1967. I believe the tanks and soldiers that came into Israel thru Jerusalem had Jordanian flags on them. It should be JORDAN asking for that land back..

Netanyahu had to remind everyone that Palestinians refugees were created when Israel was immediately attacked after it's creation. But also thousands of Jews were evicted from Arab lands at the same time. More like the story of the India/Pakistan exchange when those countries split. ((And THAT one certainly hasn't been neighborly either)) Those daffy Brits...

And Manifest Destiny is a real crock. We should have left ALL of the Americas in the hands of European colonialists. Waited for them to push the Indians back, build an Interstate Hiway system and construct 2 DisneyWorlds. THEN, we could have grabbed it already developed... Our founders and pioneers really blew it..
Few people seem to recall who the beligerants were. Palestinian and Jews did live in harmony once, but only when the presence of a powerful third party insured by force good behavior. The argument that without Israel there would be no ME problem is tenuous at best. Muslims have been fighting among themselves since the 700s.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Jigsawed

It puzzles me why Obama is spending political capital and time on this issue. He needs all the help he can get on the domestic side of things. The Israeli/Palestine conflct is one eternal mess with the blood thirsty Hamas on one side and the religious fanatics on the other side, who believe that GOD gave them the land so much so that they are pushing their government to build more and more provocative settlements.
I would say to our president: Concentrate on the economy and giving help to our people in dire need.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:

Dave
Subtle -- not -- and precisely my point!

Checking out the recommended thread, now...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Few people seem to recall who the beligerants were. Palestinian and Jews did live in harmony once, but only when the presence of a powerful third party insured by force good behavior.
So you've noticed that also Bhunter? Palestine under Britain DID have Jews and Arabs living side by side (not totally happy, but peacefullly). Muslims and Hindus in India again under British rule.. More recently, Christians, Muslims, and 16 other Heinz varieties under Dictator Tito in Yugo.. And what happened in EACH case when Autonomy was granted?

Hmmm, there's a lesson here somewhere.. Could it be that to keep the melting pot from boiling over, you need a lid and a governor? Or just a baby-sitter. Or was it just the ole Brit charm?