Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Unfortunately for this argument that is not my position. I thoroughly believe the Europe should handle this to the largest extent possible. It's their guys running around like excited ants.

And, if Obama agrees to do so, it is his doing and not the rights.

Pete
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Unfortunately for this argument that is not my position. I thoroughly believe the Europe should handle this to the largest extent possible. It's their guys running around like excited ants.

Pete
Waiting for the EU to reach a common position ie head out of arse is pointless so I guess you mean mainly the UK. Last time we did this was in the second Iraq war and the French are still grumbling. You maybe don't see it from your side of the pond, but the only way the EU unites Europe is to act as a brake on just about everything.

The problem is that the more we huff and puff about what we could do, and then do nothing, the less credible we become. What's the tripwire? Using his airforce against his own people? It's reported that he's already doing this.

UK newspapers claim Gaddafi has chemical and biological weapons. If he has and if he uses them, do we do anything, or is it another problem 'those Arabs' should sort out for themselves?

It would not surprise me one bit if instead of us helping to overthrow him, our governments first get our own people out to keep things stable, then very quietly prop him up.

It reminds me of the Hungarian uprising in the 1950's. They were lead to believe that NATO would help defend them if they declared independence, so that's what they did. Right up to the last when Russian troops had overrun almost all the country, what was left of their government still believed we would help. They made shortwave broadcasts telling "their allies" the locations of airfields they were defending to give time for our troops to arrive.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Abby Normal

Americas role in Libya is very straight forward. watch it on the news every night and see what happens.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Let Italy sort it out. Libya was an Italian colony, and that's where the refugees from North Africa are heading. Berlusconi may have to button his fly first though.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Gas here, $3.35/gl, up appreciably.

Pete
Over 4 dollars here thank you very much.

Carl
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Over 4 dollars here thank you very much.

Carl
same here, any excuse

energy prices should be government regulated
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Pete
BAM!!!

Chas
Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Thank you vedda much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Waiting for the EU to reach a common position ie head out of arse is pointless so I guess you mean mainly the UK. Last time we did this was in the second Iraq war and the French are still grumbling. You maybe don't see it from your side of the pond, but the only way the EU unites Europe is to act as a brake on just about everything.

The problem is that the more we huff and puff about what we could do, and then do nothing, the less credible we become. What's the tripwire? Using his airforce against his own people? It's reported that he's already doing this.

UK newspapers claim Gaddafi has chemical and biological weapons. If he has and if he uses them, do we do anything, or is it another problem 'those Arabs' should sort out for themselves?

It would not surprise me one bit if instead of us helping to overthrow him, our governments first get our own people out to keep things stable, then very quietly prop him up.

It reminds me of the Hungarian uprising in the 1950's. They were lead to believe that NATO would help defend them if they declared independence, so that's what they did. Right up to the last when Russian troops had overrun almost all the country, what was left of their government still believed we would help. They made shortwave broadcasts telling "their allies" the locations of airfields they were defending to give time for our troops to arrive.
LOL!

My Gran believed very much the same thing about the EU. I often don't think about GB with the EU and probably should. I agree that huffing and puffing is counterproductive, but apart from GB I see the EU as a paper tiger anyway. Which I think is a shame.

I think though it might make him think twice about his wmd. I hope so.

We did that again (Hungary example) to the Iraqis at the end of the 1st gulf war.

Pete
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

And gas here is up to $3.55. Another 20 cents, and fast.

Pete
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Area Man

Quote:
And gas here is up to $3.55. Another 20 cents, and fast.

Pete
What is the rationale for it? That's what I'm trying to figure out. On CNBC Thursday morning, they were claiming we are in a "glut", and that the turmoil in Libya, Tunisia and Egypt has little to do with it, as we don't import much oil from any of those countries anyways. Fear of war in the region, perhaps? I guess. But, if you recall "experts" were claiming $5 a gallon gas before these uprisings occurred. "Seasonal" rise? This much, this fast in a "glut"?

I smell a rat. A big, oily one, with thick hide and a tiny brain who feels it's too soon for the economy to recover.

Dave