Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDefender View Post
Yes the Germans may have enough to bail them out, but Frau Merkl would be removed from office being dragged behind a fleet of VWs. Spain has been struggling for some time and is continuing to get worse. If they are unable to restructure their debt, they will be falling on extremely hard times. Italy is also not that far from falling deep into trouble.
It will be placed squarely upon the Germans and French to keep the Euro zone afloat.
I do think that they will be able to hold it off for some time, and as it has been discussed earlier, they have too much invested in the Euro ideal. That being said, I imagine a majority of Germans would support a move back to the Mark, even though at this point it's really not possible.
And in a way, it should. It's their own darn fault the whole EU got forced on Europe to begin with.

I happed to see a bit on this on Germany's news yesterday, they interviewed people on the street - even the reluctant ones believed the Euro was there to stay.

Pete
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
And in a way, it should. It's their own darn fault the whole EU got forced on Europe to begin with.

I happed to see a bit on this on Germany's news yesterday, they interviewed people on the street - even the reluctant ones believed the Euro was there to stay.

Pete
How do people "force" something upon themselves? Sure, you could say the leaders forced it upon the people. But, if the people stood idly by and took no action, is that not a form of passive consent?

BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us. (Perhaps not at present, but once the economy straightens out----Oh, yeah.) And, I believe it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Europe has a more domineering government than us (for now), at least imo ...

That passive consent is dangerous. Although I largely agree.

The EU a military threat? They've been so generally passive it's rarely crossed my mind. But good point, they are a bigger economy than the US, and things do change over time. The EU and the Euro were conceived as a way to keep Germany and France from doing their historical dance, after all.

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Beside which who would the Germans sell all those VWs and BMWs to?
Well that's easy; all of those newly democratized, "free" Egyptians.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbacked View Post
Well that's easy; all of those newly democratized, "free" Egyptians.
We shall see how it all works out, but Egypt demonstrates what so many here have forgotten. You do not "give" people democracy, they have to "take" it for themselves. We do a disservice to those who did "take" democracy here simply because we are letting the political right whittle it away.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
How do people "force" something upon themselves? Sure, you could say the leaders forced it upon the people. But, if the people stood idly by and took no action, is that not a form of passive consent?

BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us. (Perhaps not at present, but once the economy straightens out----Oh, yeah.) And, I believe it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Dave
But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically.

I don't think so, at least not yet. The thing is that uniting peoples that have only one thing in common; their mutual dislike of each other can usually only be done by facing a common enemy. "Together we stand, divided we fall" and all that jazz. As soon as the common enemy has gone away it's back to business as usual. The Common Market? A lot of people here think its primary purpose was to break, or at least greatly weaken the British Commonwealth.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Europe has a more domineering government than us (for now), at least imo ...

That passive consent is dangerous. Although I largely agree.

The EU a military threat? They've been so generally passive it's rarely crossed my mind. But good point, they are a bigger economy than the US, and things do change over time. The EU and the Euro were conceived as a way to keep Germany and France from doing their historical dance, after all.

Pete
i agree, we have a lot to learn from europe
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
i agree, we have a lot to learn from europe
I'll agree with you there. I just don't think we will reach the same conclusions.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I'll agree with you there. I just don't think we will reach the same conclusions.
as with slavery, women's voting, national healthcare we eventually follow Europe, it just takes so long because of the right wing problem we have
Old 10-01-2011, 02:41 PM

The Euro

[QUOTE=BlueStreak;49201]How do people "force" something upon themselves? Sure, you could say the leaders forced it upon the people. But, if the people stood idly by and took no action, is that not a form of passive consent?

Quote:
BTW, I don't think the formation of the EU poses any immediate military threat. But, I do certainly think it creates a formidable powerhouse politically and economically. One that more than rivals us.
Yes that was the whole idea behind the E.U.