Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Resident octogenarian

Very, very nice.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

very nice and neat
unlike my mancave
where one is in danger of having a valve burn or a speaker fall on your head

but my music sounds good lol

is that wooden box the thing you built to drive the maggie? a pre-amp?
Robbin
Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
very nice and neat
unlike my mancave
where one is in danger of having a valve burn or a speaker fall on your head

but my music sounds good lol

is that wooden box the thing you built to drive the maggie? a pre-amp?
Robbin
It's a passive attenuator. Sort of like a preamp with no active circuitry. Basically a selector switch and a pot with a few resistors. It has four inputs and one output. I'm using Radio Shack adaptor to feed the both amp & headphone amp with out having to switch interconnects. I just can't power them up at the same time that way. I plan to add a second switchable output one of these days.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Schweet, man. What's that horn on top of the eWave?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Area Man

I hope you did NOT just ask me that.........................

The horn on top of the E-wave.....................IS the E-wave, Bob.

It buys a Selenium D-220 compression driver (SOME prefer the B&C 250.) and either the Dayton or Pyle waveguide. Then, it picks an appropriate crossover design by JackGiff from the econowave thread, buys parts and constructs crossover. It mates driver with waveguide and either mounts this on top of an existing bass cabinet or it buids one, hooks everything up and, VIOLA'! Another econowave is born....Tweak as you desire.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-23-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
I hope you did NOT just ask me that.........................

The horn on top of the E-wave.....................IS the E-wave, Bob.

It buys a Selenium D-220 compression driver (SOME prefer the B&C 250.) and either the Dayton or Pyle waveguide. Then, it picks an appropriate crossover design by JackGiff from the econowave thread, buys parts and constructs crossover. It mates driver with waveguide and either monuts this on top of an existing bass cabinet or it buids one, hooks everything up and, VIOLA'! Another econowave is born....Tweak as you desire.

Dave
I didn't remember which horn you went with for your build. Anyway, nice rug.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Area Man

Oh, it's the Dayton-http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=270-318

Some say the Pyle is less resonant because it's thicker. I had four one pound bricks of electrical sealing compound in the garage.........My horns aren't resonant AT ALL.

And, I used the Selenium D220Ti driver, some use the B&C driver, claiming it's more "smooth" out of the box (Read; more "dark"). The Selenium just has a long break in period, but, once it breaks in it's as sweet as honey with nice "sparkle" on top.

Sorry, if I snarked at you, Bob. I'd just gotten done debating some halfwits on another site. I should learn not to bring my frustration home with me.

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Oh, it's the Dayton-http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=270-318

Some say the Pyle is less resonant because it's thicker. I had four one pound bricks of electrical sealing compound in the garage.........My horns aren't resonant AT ALL.

And, I used the Selenium D220Ti driver, some use the B&C driver, claiming it's more "smooth" out of the box (Read; more "dark"). The Selenium just has a long break in period, but, once it breaks in it's as sweet as honey with nice "sparkle" on top.

Sorry, if I snarked at you, Bob. I'd just gotten done debating some halfwits on another site. I should learn not to bring my frustration home with me.

Regards,
Dave
No problemo. It's all good.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Area Man

Oh, and the rug is a real Persian, about 40 years old. A guy in my apartment complex back in San Diego sold it to me for $300. He was American, but had been born & raised in Iran. His parents worked for the U.S. Government there, until the Shah was deposed and the religious freaks took over and tossed them out in '79. He had all kinds of cool stuff from Iran, spoke fluent Farsi and all of that. Really nice and intelligent dude too.

Sadly, sometime between living in Iran and the day I bought the rug, he had become a coke-head. He had successfuly quit, but owed people, very nasty people. He asked me for $100....I offered him $300 and told him I felt like a thief. I hope he paid off his debts with that money.................The last time I saw him, he was headed for Colorado.

Kind of cool how objects one acquires can have such memories attached to them, isn't it?

Dave