Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: How likely is it that the Republicans will win?
100% They will definitely win. 1 4.76%
90% 1 4.76%
80% 1 4.76%
60-70% 4 19.05%
50% 1 4.76%
40% 6 28.57%
30% 2 9.52%
20% 2 9.52%
10% 1 4.76%
0% They will definitely lose. 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I think a lamp could beat Obama in 2012. "It's the economy stupid"
I happen to agree with you.

Someone as dumb as a lamp will most likely win in 2012.

Regardless of what happens between now and then.

Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
no lamps running though
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I think a lamp could beat Obama in 2012.
None of the GOP candidates are as bright as a lamp. Pretty much dim bulbs, methinks.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't know what to tell you, Painter. And, I'd be willing to bet the "fixed income" most of those folks are on is, at least in part----Social Security. But, these same people are saying we need to balance the budget and stop "People who just sit around and get a check from the government from stealing anymore money from our grandchildren.". Right? And, who would that be? Elderly people on a "fixed income", perhaps?

I like the "generational theft" spin. That truly is top notch propaganda right there, I gotta hand it to them. It's usually accompanied by images of babies. Someone who has worked hard all of their lives and put money into SS for 40-50 years, is-----Stealing food out of the mouths of babies. You heard me right, that is the inference,..... OMG, THEY'RE STEALING FROM BABIES!!!! Oh, the horror of it!

Here's my take.

My taxes helped pay for the Medicare that funded my mothers care right up to the last minute of her life. And, I don't care that the same is being done for others. (After the private insurance system dumped her, because she was cutting into their profits.) My taxes also paid her SS. She, as many women in her generation, was a traditional housewife. She had seven children and stayed home to raise us. And, I don't care that my taxes are also going to other elderly women in the same situation.

My father didn't have to use Medicare (AFAIK), because of a contractual agreement between his union and his employer. He had BC/BS, up to the day he died. He collected SS, but then he also contributed into it for over fifty years.

Were my parents "thieves", Painter?

Are you?

Am I?

I work, always have, and will as long as I still can. When the day comes that must stop working, will I be a "thief" for expecting to collect my SS, even if it costs the working generation as my parents generation cost me?

Nope. I think my parents earned it. I think you probably earned it. And I believe I will have earned it, when the time comes.

I also believe there is something other than a concern over "generational theft" at play here. Something that stinks.

Dave

Just to reiterate...I was the traditional housewife of the fifties.
My hubby worked for the same company for thirty three years and retired.
We raised three kids...educated in private school and paid the tuition to the university. Remember...the savings of many seniors were tied up in wall street...yep...not a pretty picture for many. That... being what it may...we have always make do on hubby's salary. NEVER had a credit card during our youth...yet managed to take some nice vacations with the kids.

BUGET! Does anyone remember that work???? Or use it?
I'm finding out there are shocking standards for SSI ( some of which allow young people to compute ALL day!).

He** yes I am worried about my children and grandchildren's future. BUT...keep in mind...many senior's children are now unemployed and parents willingly subsidize. Or... divorce brings kids home and grandparents wind up raising a second family.

Society has always been judged by how it treats its young and elderly.
Change will be coming.
Don't let the name teabaggers get to ya...remember Hippies? What ever happened to them?

I was always taught...if service (SSI) is what you pay for...service is what you should get. BBB anyone???
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I'm finding out there are shocking standards for SSI ( some of which allow young people to compute ALL day!).

Not sure what this means. Can you clarify?

Society has always been judged by how it treats its young and elderly.
Change will be coming. Yep, and we can only hope it's change for the better.

Don't let the name teabaggers get to ya...remember Hippies? What ever happened to them?

I live near the ocean, and Edgar Cayces A.R.E.....I see old hippies every day. They sell mediocre artwork on the boardwalk and hangout on the beach with their bellies hanging over their Speedos and their grey ponytails hanging out from under the Panama Jack hats that hide their huge bald spots.

I was always taught...if service (SSI) is what you pay for...service is what you should get. BBB anyone???
Good post, BTW.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you, Painter. And, I'd be willing to bet the "fixed income" most of those folks are on is, at least in part----Social Security. But, these same people are saying we need to balance the budget and stop "People who just sit around and get a check from the government from stealing anymore money from our grandchildren.

Dave

One more point. Many seasoned citizens volunteer in their communities.... meals on wheels, visit the infirmed in hospitals and nursing homes...etc. I know many who give back to their communities. Including myself.

The seasoned citizen of the 40's and 50's is NOT the one of this twenty-first century. Many take better care of themselves read more and enter this vast information highway to gain better access to the knowledge AND mental challenges to keep them viable individuals. Sans prescriptions...if at all possible.

So old gram/gramps on porchville in their rockers is basically slim to none.

Perhaps that IS the problem. We ARE living longer lives. BUT remember a persons worth is a matter of opinion.

You have it right son.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
One more point. Many seasoned citizens volunteer in their communities.... meals on wheels, visit the infirmed in hospitals and nursing homes...etc. I know many who give back to their communities. Including myself.

The seasoned citizen of the 40's and 50's is NOT the one of this twenty-first century. Many take better care of themselves read more and enter this vast information highway to gain better access to the knowledge AND mental challenges to keep them viable individuals. Sans prescriptions...if at all possible.

So old gram/gramps on porchville in their rockers is basically slim to none.

Perhaps that IS the problem. We ARE living longer lives. BUT remember a persons worth is a matter of opinion.

You have it right son.
Absolutely. This is why the belittlement of senior citizen benefits as "welfare" just drives me nuts. My Dad went to work at 14 and didn't retire until age 68. Volunteered to serve in WW2. Volunteered for Civil Defense in the 1950s. Worked hard all of his life and took excellent care of his large family. But, when he started receiving his SS check he became a "welfare deadbeat"? What?

Dave
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 AM

How did I know Twodogs would vote 100%?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Reading bits of Robert Samuelson's OpEd piece this morning. Naturally he is against any form of what he calls entitlements. So he starts comparing the U.S. France and Germany as to what percent of the GDP they represent in each country and how unsustainable it is. Strange that all the bleeding economists never compare against Canada. Unless things have changed drastically they look after their people pretty well. Their economy must be chugging along quite well judging by the $CDN value. Guess they are just smarter than the rest of the world.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Quote:
I happen to agree with you.

Someone as dumb as a lamp will most likely win in 2012.

Regardless of what happens between now and then.

Dave
The economy is a huge problem for Obama and most here are sidestepping it. Unless something really, really 'patriotic' happens Obama is done for. And he sure isn't getting the kids again. Well maybe, they ain't the sharpest tacks in the... tack barrel? (not dumb just naive)

I voted 90%.

Blue, does that mean even if he wins?

Pete