Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Fair Comment.

[QUOTE=Charles;163251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post

I thought you told a story about an altercation you had in a pub with someone half of your age, and how we was shocked that the old fellow, being yourself, took him to task. I saw a certain amount of humor in it at the time, and still do.

My apologies if I've confused you with someone else...I was just having some fun.

If nothing else, we're on the same page on the wind farms. IMHO, the only way they will pay for themselves is to increase the cost of electricity to the point that no one can afford it in the first place.

They also kill lots of birds over here as well, noticeably the Bald Eagle, our treasured national bird.

We should have taken Ben Franklin's advice and made the wild turkey the national bird, as we're fast becoming a nation of skittish, bug eyed turkey necks with the attention span of...well, a damned turkey.

BTW, are hard feeling once again festering between the British, the Scots, and the Irish in particular? I was of the assumption that everyone had taken to getting along. At least, I haven't heard much about the IRA for some time.

Take care, I need to get busy and do some work.

Chas

I thought you told a story about an altercation you had in a pub with someone half of your age, and how we was shocked that the old fellow, being yourself, took him to task. I saw a certain amount of humor in it at the time, and still do.

My mistake, 'twas indeed I that you were referring to. The egit was young (mid 30's), reasonably fit but pissed.

BTW, are hard feeling once again festering between the British, the Scots, and the Irish in particular? I was of the assumption that everyone had taken to getting along. At least, I haven't heard much about the IRA for some time.

Not really, but using the word British instead of English sums up the divide.

"The Acts of Union were two Acts of Parliament: the Union with Scotland Act 1706 passed by the Parliament of England, and the Union with England Act passed in 1707 by the Parliament of Scotland."

If you look up the Massacre of Glencoe you'll get an idea of how tense things were between Scotland and England before the Act of Union. It's crazy. Even now, some people think marriage between a Campbell and a McDonald is wrong.

"In 1688, William, Prince of Orange, accepted an invitation to take the throne of England, glad to enlist English help in his wars with Catholic France".

The thing to remember is that following The Act of Union between Scotland and England, the previously independent Scottish Parliament was suspended, not closed. There's to be a referendum in Scotland next year, question is basically "should Scotland be an independent country again"

The IRA thing was different. Basically the cause was sound; England ruled Ireland and treated the Irish very badly. There were republican movements before the IRA. Problem is that the IRA were strong, organised and stupid. They thought that bombs and shootings could unite, not further divide. Now we've got the Good Friday agreement; a clean slate where almost all IRA/UDA prisoners were released.

There are still splinter groups like the Real IRA. Inasmuch as there membership is low they're Relatively harmless but still dangerous.

As a species, humans seem to specialize in bigotry, hatred and stupidity.

Last edited by Combwork; 07-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=Combwork;163258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

My mistake, 'twas indeed I that you were referring to. The egit was young (mid 30's), reasonably fit but pissed.

Not really, but using the word British instead of English sums up the divide.

"The Acts of Union were two Acts of Parliament: the Union with Scotland Act 1706 passed by the Parliament of England, and the Union with England Act passed in 1707 by the Parliament of Scotland."

If you look up the Massacre of Glencoe you'll get an idea of how tense things were between Scotland and England before the Act of Union. It's crazy. Even now, some people think marriage between a Campbell and a McDonald is wrong.

"In 1688, William, Prince of Orange, accepted an invitation to take the throne of England, glad to enlist English help in his wars with Catholic France".

The thing to remember is that following The Act of Union between Scotland and England, the previously independent Scottish Parliament was suspended, not closed. There's to be a referendum in Scotland next year, question is basically "should Scotland be an independent country again"

The IRA thing was different. Basically the cause was sound; England ruled Ireland and treated the Irish very badly. There were republican movements before the IRA. Problem is that the IRA were strong, organised and stupid. They thought that bombs and shootings could unite, not further divide. Now we've got the Good Friday agreement; a clean slate where almost all IRA/UDA prisoners were released.

There are still splinter groups like the Real IRA. Inasmuch as there membership is low they're Relatively harmless but still dangerous.

As a species, humans seem to specialize in bigotry, hatred and stupidity.
Perhaps the serpent led Eve to the wrong tree.

Chas