Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Jigsawed

A good defense of being an audiophile?

For some time now I have given up trying to be an audiophile. I found my search exasperating. When I thought I had found the magic it did not last.

In the below article the writer puts up a stout argument for his being an audiophile.

I envy him.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...s_of_high.html
Old 02-20-2015, 03:40 PM

Sometimes I listen to my Adcom matched with a Music Angel Tube pre-amp with Mirage speakers and I get really nice details with great highs...but light bass. Then I switch to another Chinese tube set up with a sub-woofer driving AR3s went I want bass. When those don't sound so great anymore I switch to my NAD driving Snells...

or my MAggie 6V6 driving KEFs

you get the picture one system is not perfect ever lol
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Ready

The music is the magic. The key is to be a musicphile first, and to stay one. You won't go wrong then.

Author passes this test.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The music is the magic. The key is to be a musicphile first, and to stay one. You won't go wrong then.

Author passes this test.
It looks like I am a musicphile at last after a long journey.

I sold off some respected equipment both tube ss and no longer
visit the high end stores.

I now just listen to my radio and the internet.

It was indeed a pleasure to read an article in which someone makes
convincing sense of the endeavor, albeit implying that nirvana is
expensive.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM

I suppose I'm a musicphile too since having a terrific music collection has always been more important to me than having a high end system to play it on. Now, the system I have is good and I do look to improve it from time to time. It's just that no "audiophile" would be the slightest bit interested in owning my stuff and, given what it probably cost him, I doubt I'd be interested in owning his gear either.

John
Old 02-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

Author passes this test.
Exactly, because if you know the music your mind can fill in anything your system may not provide.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

Years and yaers ago there was a lad I worked with (hell we were both lads) and he was always inviting me over to hear his latest system. One day I asked him - 'Pierre do you ever listen to the music/'
Old 02-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I suppose I'm a musicphile too since having a terrific music collection has always been more important to me than having a high end system to play it on. Now, the system I have is good and I do look to improve it from time to time. It's just that no "audiophile" would be the slightest bit interested in owning my stuff and, given what it probably cost him, I doubt I'd be interested in owning his gear either.

John
By coincidence, I was asked just yesterday via PM if I were and Audiophile.

Here is my reply:

LOL

Depends on what it means but off the top of my head I would think I lack the sophistication associated with the term.

If anything, I am a shot and a beer type audiophile.

I think of myself as a guy who does not know much about audio just loves music.

I do place much value on aesthetics and bough my McIntosh stuff based on design and raw wattage.

It's most common for me to listen to music on a Saturday or Sunday with a football, basketball or soccer game on the tube not with my eyes closed absorbing every nuance.

and, I don't care how flawless the sound, I would never regularly sit in a basement build, perfectly treated room to listen to music. I need large windows and a view.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Years and yaers ago there was a lad I worked with (hell we were both lads) and he was always inviting me over to hear his latest system. One day I asked him - 'Pierre do you ever listen to the music/'
excellent
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Banned

I don't suppose most people who consider themselves to be audiophiles would consider me to be an audiophile. At least not the Absolute Sound/Stereophile crowd. I think I'm a half-audiophile. I can hear differences in speakers, as can we all, I can hear differences in TT set-ups, arms, carts, etc. And a good TT set up does sound better than digital. But that's about it. I can't hear jack-shit difference from one CD player to another, or one pre-amp from another. And as far as I can determine...as long as there's enough watts to drive the speakers properly...watts is watts. Cable differences...really? Power conditioners? Bricks on your amp? Bullet shaped pieces of metal on your speakers (the infamous Totem Acoustic Beak to reduce the "parasitic resonances")? Lead shot in your speaker stands? Bags of lead shot on top of your speakers to "tame the liveliness?" Feh. And...if I never hear the term "palpable" used in a discussion again it will be just fine for me. Most of the gear is Goodwill and estate sale castoffs.

Some of my favorite pieces of music for listening were not recorded very well. So I agree, it's the music...and the performance.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 02-23-2015 at 05:29 PM.