Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Converting a Blue state to a swing state?

Interesting poll released by a Pittsburgh newspaper showing a tightening race in a state normally considered solidly "Blue".

http://triblive.com/home/2641005-74/...#axzz27OPodyJE

From the article - which for me took a bit of time to load:

Obama polled 47 percent to Romney's 45 percent among likely Pennsylvania voters, with 6 percent of voters undecided and 44 days until Election Day, according to the survey by Susquehanna Polling & Research. The survey of 800 voters, conducted Sept. 18-20, has a margin of error of 3.46 percentage points.

Voters continue to put the economy at the top of their list of concerns. Only one in three believes the country is headed in the right direction.

Yet, a deeper look at the numbers shows a more nuanced picture. Romney leads Obama, 48 percent to 44 percent, on the question of who would create jobs to speed up the recovery. Ask who looks out for the interests of the middle class and Obama leads, 56 percent to 38 percent.

Obama leads, 49 percent to 41 percent, among likely voters on the question of who would better defend the homeland. But voters who peg foreign affairs and international events as their top concern prefer Romney, 53 percent to 46 percent, the poll found.

“Three in four (undecided voters) say the country’s going in the wrong direction,” Lee said. If they believe that, they’re unlikely to back the incumbent, he said. “They’re either staying home or they’re voting for Romney.”

Doesn't sound like either candidate had planned to spend much time in Pennsylvania this election cycle. With this polling result, one wonders whether than will change. If the Romney campaign decides to spend some money in PA, it would likely force the Obama camp to do the same. With funds already tight for the Dems, making them spend money where they hadn't planned to might pay dividends for the Repubs in historical swing states like Ohio.

October is going to be an interesting month.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Ohio is still the key state.....if the choice is between Ohio and PA the President will just put his efforts into winning Ohio....if he wins Ohio he has the election.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Couldn't get the link to open but, first of all, a state that elects Tom Ridge governor, Rick Santorum senator and a legislature that will pass a voter ID law and brag about how it'll guarantee a Romney win ain't no blue state, hasn't been since before St. Ronnie.

Having lived near enough to Pennsylvania to work there when I lived in New Jersey and do most of my shopping there when I lived in Maryland, I know Pennsylvania very well. Except for parts of the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas , Pennsylvania is pretty conservative. Parts of it, in the middle around "Paterno Country", York and Harrisburg, are rabidly right wing.

So, whell, as usual, you proceed from a false premise and then draw unwarranted conclusions from it. Very tedious.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 09-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Loyal Opposition

I would think that the most effective expenditure for the Dems in any contested state is on get out the vote efforts.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM

I found the article (or an article) with Google. Here's something interesting.
  • Obama leads, 49 percent to 41 percent, among likely voters on the question of who would better defend the homeland.
  • Voters who peg foreign affairs and international events as their top concern prefer Romney, 53 percent to 46 percent.

Obviously, there's a glaring inconsistency here. When I see this sort of thing I start wondering about the poll's methodology.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 09-24-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I found the article (or an article) with Google. Here's something interesting.
  • Obama leads, 49 percent to 41 percent, among likely voters on the question of who would better defend the homeland.
  • Voters who peg foreign affairs and international events as their top concern prefer Romney, 53 percent to 46 percent.

Obviously, there's a glaring inconsistency here. When I see this sort of thing I start wondering about the poll's methodology.

John
And, whell, a source you often quote, Real Clear Politics, has Obama up by 8% in Pennsylvania. That's 8, whell, 8. Landslide territory. It looks to me like R&R are making a swing state into a blue state.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...bama-1891.html

John

Last edited by Boreas; 09-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Here's a link to a report on the Pittsburgh Trib poll that will actually work.

http://www.politicspa.com/trib-poll-...mney-45/41601/

John
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM

PA is not a solidly blue state. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are about the only area of the state that vote Democratic. The rest of Pennsyltucky is full of redneck Republicans. How do you think frothy Santorum got elected.

Pennsylvania has a Republican Senator, 12 Republican House members, and the states Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General are all Republicans.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
PA is not a solidly blue state. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are about the only area of the state that vote Democratic. The rest of Pennsyltucky is full of redneck Republicans. How do you think frothy Santorum got elected.

Pennsylvania has a Republican Senator, 12 Republican House members, and the states Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General are all Republicans.
Don't you know you're never supposed to let facts get in the way of a totally manufactured political dig? Whell does.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM

What will the GOp do when Texas turns blue? Only a matter of time...