Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Yep, it is a sad day for those that believe in liberty and freedom. I have no problem with grabbing and holding foreign terrorists, but the extension to American citizens smacks of a police state. Where is the outrage and protesters and media that incessantly attacked GW for usurping freedom in the name of "homeland" security. I still hate that word: "homeland." It was a poor choice then and it still is IMNSHO.
Bush was a Republican----So f**k him.

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Does Obama know about this? Certainly he'll veto it, as it's only supported by the right.

Pete
Don't care. The GOP put their fingerprints on it, it's their baby. Regardless of what Obama does.

The Republican Party hates the constitution and by extension, America itself.

I heard they spent like an entire 12 minutes debating this mess.

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Does Obama know about this? Certainly he'll veto it, as it's only supported by the right.

Pete
What sucks is that tough guy rhetoric the GOP uses has cowed the Democrats into doing all sorts of similarly stupid sh!t in the name of national security. Can't look soft, you know.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Blue, he's the President, on his watch, he owns it

I agree Finn, we can get the Dems to do ANYTHING. It's like falling off a log LOL!

Pete
Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Area Man

Pete,

Yeah , but he's not a Republican.

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

D'oh! I forgot

Pete
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Whats this now? American citizens will now be subjected to the same criminal bullying and utter disregard for civil liberties and basic human rights that we seem to think we can arbitrarily impose on citizens of other sovereign nations? Perish the notion!

And most of us wonder why we are so reviled by the rest of the world. Amazing.
That just might be the problem of being a superpower and having the largest economy. There are still a hell of a lot of people that would rather be here than where they currently are. Take a look at the number of successful Chinese that are leaving China. Meanwhile, over in Europe, we see the de facto economic hegemony of Germany over the European continent. What couldn't be done with two world wars is slowly being done through economic power. The grandiose plans and goals of the EU have seemingly evaporated over a relatively short time span.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That just might be the problem of being a superpower and having the largest economy. There are still a hell of a lot of people that would rather be here than where they currently are. Take a look at the number of successful Chinese that are leaving China. Meanwhile, over in Europe, we see the de facto economic hegemony of Germany over the European continent. What couldn't be done with two world wars is slowly being done through economic power. The grandiose plans and goals of the EU have seemingly evaporated over a relatively short time span.
There's seems to be an inference here that they're doing this (i.e., economic hegemony) deliberately. Unlike the number of sheeple that followed Hitler off the cliff, I don't know a single German (and I know a bunch) that likes what's going on. They were OK with paying $billions to reunite with the former East Germany (though there was grumbling), but bailing out southern Europe ain't exactly their idea of a good time.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
There's seems to be an inference here that they're doing this (i.e., economic hegemony) deliberately. Unlike the number of sheeple that followed Hitler off the cliff, I don't know a single German (and I know a bunch) that likes what's going on. They were OK with paying $billions to reunite with the former East Germany (though there was grumbling), but bailing out southern Europe ain't exactly their idea of a good time.
I wasn't trying to make that inference. No, the Southern countries are doing it to themselves. Germany would likely be happier if they didn't need to bail out the South. The reunification with the East was indeed one of the high points of the last half century. Of the Axis powers, Italy is the only one that hasn't had economic success. We'll see how France responds to Germany's increasing economic footprint.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

Unfortunately for Germany if the other EU countries stop importing German goods then their economy starts circling the bowl as well.