Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

We had a 13 year old girl in Baltimore playing with a couple of friends and they accidentaly killed her with a .22 rifle. The boys panicked and drug her body out to the alleyway and covered it with trash.

The interesting part is that the rifle turned up in the back seat of an off duty cop's cruiser. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Having had a 16 year old cousin shot and killed in a hunting "accident" I am really no fan of the wild distribution of firearms.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
If this what you are talking about, http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/georgia-arms/

Seems to be more of a sales pitch from suppliers.

From article

"Why It Happened

What emerges from the DLA’s letters and the accounts of the NRA’s lobbyist and the Newsmax reporter is that the policy had originated with an order the previous year (during the Bush administration) from the Office of the Secretary of Defense to prohibit the sale of uniquely military items controlled by the Department of State through its munitions list. This order eventually worked its way down to the DLA’s Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service, the department responsible for selling military surplus items. DRMS found that small arms cartridge cases were listed as "sensitive" munitions items, according to the DLA letters, and thus sales of empty cases were halted.

Cox, the NRA’s lobbyist, said the DLA’s explanation "put to rest various theories and rumors that were circulated on the internet, concerning the reason for the suspension." He said the sales had been stopped "in the interest of national security." Newsmax’s reporter said the order was intended "to keep sensitive military hardware from making it into the hands of liquidators and, potentially, the enemy."

An Undead Theory

But those facts haven’t buried the zombie claims that the Obama administration is trying to eliminate the supply of reloaded military small-arms ammunition. We keep getting those messages. The most recent carries the subject line: "Why Ammo is Scarce."

Ammo may well be scarce: Georgia Arms warns buyers on its Web site that shipping times are delayed five to seven weeks. But the reason isn’t any Obama administration move to shut down reloaders. Georgia Arms states that it is "due to a huge increase in demand."

And it’s logical to think that surge in demand is coming from gun owners who are needlessly concerned"

Barney

I don't know why I am surprised that you believe that rifle and pistol cases are "Sensitive Munitions" ?
Or that you would believe that this is their concern, as the abandoned a "Super Secret Stealth Observation Aircraft" in Iran, without trying to destroy it before it could be sent to Russia and China to reverse engineered and study.

Ammunition cases have not changed in over 100 years ! I have examined them, weighted them, checked their volumes and hardness and ounce fired cases are all within the acceptable normal variances, depending on the type of weapon they are fired from. So their secrets are already revealed.

And if this was a situation of National Security, they would have our troops in the Sand Box police their cases before they left the battle field.

The politicians lie, the government confirms their lies, what else is new.
But I am sure you will continue believe what you wish. Or believe what ever they tell you to believe.

Sincerely,

Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

You're right Bill. I wouldn't believe a word from the NRA's chief lobbyist either.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We had a 13 year old girl in Baltimore playing with a couple of friends and they accidentaly killed her with a .22 rifle. The boys panicked and drug her body out to the alleyway and covered it with trash.

The interesting part is that the rifle turned up in the back seat of an off duty cop's cruiser. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Having had a 16 year old cousin shot and killed in a hunting "accident" I am really no fan of the wild distribution of firearms.
While I feel for your loss Merry,

I had a friend killed by a baseball bat as we played a game. He moved to the outside of the plate to catch a curve ball, the batter pulled the bat back and struck him on the top of his head. He died days latter from brain injuries.

Any tool can and most likely has caused the death of someone, even when used properly.

But as an hunter I know that there is nothing more alarming than to have people that you do not know, handling firearms around you.

Again I am sorry for your loss,

Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
I'm not surprised "D", I have never known a Barrister that allowed the truth influence his case yet. Or prevent them from prosecuting an inocent person, or defending a guilty person yet.

Barristers would be beneath a politician, if politicians were not mostly Barristers first.

Sincerely,

Bill
We are also trained at exposing illogical propositions, inconsistency and deception. Now you decide whether you have a problem with that.

The particular inconsistency here, is that you questioned another poster's reliance on a report. The primary source cited for that report was a lobbyist for the NRA. I pointed out that I too, would be skeptical of an NRA lobbyist. In this case, however, he seems to be contradicting an article from his organization's publication. You were aware of that irony, were you not?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Including Chardon, violent crime is down.

Pete
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
We are also trained at exposing illogical propositions, inconsistency and deception. Now you decide whether you have a problem with that.

The particular inconsistency here, is that you questioned another poster's reliance on a report. The primary source cited for that report was a lobbyist for the NRA. I pointed out that I too, would be skeptical of an NRA lobbyist. In this case, however, he seems to be contradicting an article from his organization's publication. You were aware of that irony, were you not?

Regards,

D-Ray
My apologies "D",

I find myself guilty of seeing what I expected to read, rather then what was actually printed. In the future I will try to read twice, open my mouth ounce.

Again, My Apologies.

Sincerely,

Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Any tool can be used to inflict pain, injury or death.

The most efficient, of course, are those tools specifically designed to do so.

I don't mind some fairly stringent limitations on who is allowed to obtain said instruments.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

They've been continuously loosened here over the last 10 years or so, after a very careful start, and violent crime keeps going down, down, down.

Which makes sense.

Pete
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Any tool can be used to inflict pain, injury or death.

The most efficient, of course, are those tools specifically designed to do so.

I don't mind some fairly stringent limitations on who is allowed to obtain said instruments.

I totally agree Zeke,

The only problem is that murders, armed robbers, drug sellers and users and other people that show diminished mental control are already prohibited from owning firearms. And criminals by nature, do not obey laws at all.
So what limitations do you feel would work ?

Bill