Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM

Old enough to remember a time.

When The United States I feel was at it's zenith.

For you'all maybe not but 1969 was a high water mark for the us I feel. We landed a man on the moon, in a hot war along with a cold one. Still the country was running along.

The rich paid a much higher tax rate. Still gave to improve society. Most worked for the same company their whole career with a retirement at the end. Unions were a good thing to be in. The schools were public and considered good, didn't need silly testing to prove themselves.

Then came Tricky Dick and the GOP and their plan to improve things........

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1969.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1969

http://www.1960sflashback.com/1969/Economy.asp

http://www.historyorb.com/events/date/1969

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 07-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Admin

Music was great in '72 - '73. Then along came disco.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Music was great in '72 - '73. Then along came disco.
They would never let us in a Disco club, stupid no blue jeans rule. Like I would of went anyway.

Music was great in 69 too! I will always remember my cousins rubbing it in I was not allowed to spend the summer that year in Mass. They all went to a little outdoor concert that August. While I stayed home bailing hay and feeding live stock.

Barney
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM

I used to go to Revere Massachusetts to visit my grandparents as a kid....loved Boston and the subway. Loved my Nana and Gramps also. Now I am just 10 years younger than my grandfather was when I was born.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
They would never let us in a Disco club, stupid no blue jeans rule. Like I would of went anyway.

Music was great in 69 too! I will always remember my cousins rubbing it in I was not allowed to spend the summer that year in Mass. They all went to a little outdoor concert that August. While I stayed home bailing hay and feeding live stock.

Barney
My older brothers took off in the family VW microbus for that three days in NY while I stood there in the street pissed as hell. Pop said, "No way are you going!" I was 12. I finally forgave him sometime in the late '90s.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Admin

Funny how some memories are clear as a bell. The night when the astronauts walked on the moon is one of those. After the live broadcast I went outside and sat there in the dark looking up at the moon for a couple of hours trying to imagine what it must've felt like.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I used to go to Revere Massachusetts to visit my grandparents as a kid....loved Boston and the subway. Loved my Nana and Gramps also. Now I am just 10 years younger than my grandfather was when I was born.
My cousins live in the Berkshires at the other end of the state. But been to Bean Town. Wish I could afford to live in Salem or Puberty (Peabody).

Barney
Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Funny how some memories are clear as a bell. The night when the astronauts walked on the moon is one of those. After the live broadcast I went outside and sat there in the dark looking up at the moon for a couple of hours trying to imagine what it must've felt like.
We were camping and everyone was around the radio in the truck listening looking up at times.

Back then people seemed to care more of others plight. Not like it is now.

Hell men wanted women to be on BC's!!!

Companies invested in capital equipment and training. Sure they got a tax break but there was more to it then just that. Kids today feel they will be rich someday. Most of the ones I know born in the nineties anyway. Have a hard time with manual labor for some reason. Look down on physical labor jobs.

Barney
Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM

Dick was bad. Reagan killed the American Dream. Why should I have to pay? We went to hell after that.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Dick was bad. Reagan killed the American Dream. Why should I have to pay? We went to hell after that.
I know! There is talk of naming a new bridge after St Ron here in the Derby. People I swear, he was a two bit actor after all. But hey they are the same ones who gave W two terms. Then block any movement forward.

Nixon was the beginning of the decline IMO!

Barney