Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
As difficult as pointing out where I said torture.

Pete
Nah, it was 427 who was publicly calling for torture. You just called for interrogation, followed by summary execution.

So you're fine with just shooting non-citizens if we want. Now will you answer a question? Are you also fine with torturing them first?

And if not, why not?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

As far as shooting people it would be easy to say ask your leader.

The short answer is of course you can shoot people, if we're warring. I'd say we are.

I also have no problem with military tribunals. Hell FDR killed spies on American soil using them. We owe these people nothing.

Torture is a tough one. No I am not for officially sanctioned 'torture'. That said I don't have the slightest problem with a bad guy being roughed up.

It's tough because of the definition. Waterboarding sure seems like torture to me, although we do it to our own troops. But sleep deprivation? Again, it IS (anyone who's read The Gulag Archipelago would agree imo), but does that mean it can't be used? Consider the left's affinity for European 'morality'. There is a big push there to consider solitary confinement torture! What are supposed to do with these guys, give them (gasp!) cold coffee? Fart in their general direction?

Different topic than trying this guy in our court though.

Pete
Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Ready

Ah, clarification. Not summary execution, necessarily. Execution after judgement by a military tribunal. That may or may not be different....

Still, you go on to say 'we owe these guys nothing.' That's the whole thing I'm arguing about. I say we owe them something, because we should respect human rights.

And if you say there are no human rights, you're like the idiot who said "There's no rules in a knife fight!"
Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
As far as shooting people it would be easy to say ask your leader.

The short answer is of course you can shoot people, if we're warring. I'd say we are.

I also have no problem with military tribunals. Hell FDR killed spies on American soil using them. We owe these people nothing.

Torture is a tough one. No I am not for officially sanctioned 'torture'. That said I don't have the slightest problem with a bad guy being roughed up.

It's tough because of the definition. Waterboarding sure seems like torture to me, although we do it to our own troops. But sleep deprivation? Again, it IS (anyone who's read The Gulag Archipelago would agree imo), but does that mean it can't be used? Consider the left's affinity for European 'morality'. There is a big push there to consider solitary confinement torture! What are supposed to do with these guys, give them (gasp!) cold coffee? Fart in their general direction?

Different topic than trying this guy in our court though.

Pete
All this talk about human rights yet Obama plays God and decides which lives to snuff out with drones or respect with a U.S. trial.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Ready

I'm on record as saying hits by drone (as opposed to drone participation in combat) should not be ordered without general enabling legislation, and specific judicial review in each case. Get all three branches on board.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
All this talk about human rights yet Obama plays God and decides which lives to snuff out with drones or respect with a U.S. trial.
No, no. He's not doing anything. Taking a nap, according to John Boehner. In between naps he kills terrorists, catches the guy responsible for Benghazi, and kills Bin Laden. All of which, somehow, is bad, according to the people who got thousands of Americans killed in needless wars and made a bad situation in Iraq an absolute nightmare. But it's Obama's fault. Clearly.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
No, no. He's not doing anything. Taking a nap, according to John Boehner. In between naps he kills terrorists, catches the guy responsible for Benghazi, and kills Bin Laden. All of which, somehow, is bad, according to the people who got thousands of Americans killed in needless wars and made a bad situation in Iraq an absolute nightmare. But it's Obama's fault. Clearly.
I'm just not buying the "Human Rights" B.S. One day it's a war, the next day it isn't. All too convenient IMO.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Yeah, there's some stuff there that makes me uncomfortable too. But I do find it ironic that the people responsible for full-on "kill everybody" wars, and torture, all of a sudden get bent out of shape about offing some random bad guy with a drone. I mean *I* don't like it, but I didn't like the other stuff either. At least I'm consistent.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Yeah, there's some stuff there that makes me uncomfortable too. But I do find it ironic that the people responsible for full-on "kill everybody" wars, and torture, all of a sudden get bent out of shape about offing some random bad guy with a drone. I mean *I* don't like it, but I didn't like the other stuff either. At least I'm consistent.
I agree.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're the perfect master of almost definitive statements.

It's not a tough one at all. You used the term "bad guy"...well Pete, you want to blur the lines between who the good guys and the bad guys are real quick? Be ambivalent about torture, or whatever convenient term you can think up to make yourself feel better about it.