Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Open Letter to Congress from Conservative Anti-Trumpers

We are a group of citizens united by our deep concern over threats to the integrity of American democracy and the rule of law. With the indictments announced on Monday, the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller into Russian interference with the 2016 election is now entering a new and critical phase.

At the same time, a growing chorus of Republican and conservative voices has started calling for Mueller’s resignation on trumped-up grounds, a move that may be calculated to help justify dismissal of the special counsel and pardons for his targets.

In view of these events, we want to come forward and express our strong support for allowing the Mueller investigation to proceed without interference or obstruction. We would regard dismissal of the special counsel, or pardons issued preemptively to anyone targeted by his investigation, as a grave abuse of power that justifies initiation of impeachment proceedings.

We hereby call on House Speaker Ryan and Senate Majority Leader McConnell to make clear, both publicly and privately, that they support the Mueller investigation and regard any interference with that investigation, including dismissal of the special counsel or preemptive pardons of investigation targets, as completely unacceptable.

We further urge all Republican members of Congress to issue public statements on these issues as well. It is morally imperative that the Republican Party and the conservative movement stand as bulwarks of the rule of law, not enablers of its erosion and violation. Now is the time for choosing.

In the words of one of its writers (a former GOP Congressman from South Carolina),

“Donald Trump is reshaping the heart of the GOP into something that is very dark and very diseased,” said Inglis. “My nightmare scenario is a Republican Party that loses its soul. It’s one thing to lose an election. It’s another to lose your soul.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.83dc39d9559c

Last edited by finnbow; 11-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Admin

Jennifer Rubin has another good column out today tearing the WSJ editorial staff a new one.

'The sorry state of Murdoch media'
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.74f2e4d7e7b4
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Jennifer Rubin has another good column out today tearing the WSJ editorial staff a new one.

'The sorry state of Murdoch media'
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.74f2e4d7e7b4
Maybe they've given up on buying Sky News over in the UK. The Brits, despite their history of tabloid journalism, still can't hack Fox News' journalism standards.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/medi...iew/index.html
Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Rational Anarchist

Can the GOP leadership afford to do this with the midterms just a year away? Trump would make the primaries an even bigger mess than he already has/is.

Last edited by nailer; 11-01-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Maybe they've given up on buying Sky News over in the UK. The Brits, despite their history of tabloid journalism, still can't hack Fox News' journalism standards.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/medi...iew/index.html
I can't believe our cousins across the 'Pond' haven't re-visited that stupid Brexit vote and thrown PM Mays' ass into the Thames or the Tower of London.
(grin)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Can the GOP leadership afford to do this with the midterms just a year away? Trump would make the primaries an even bigger mess than he already has/is.
Huh?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Huh?
Read the OP.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
I can't believe our cousins across the 'Pond' haven't re-visited that stupid Brexit vote and thrown PM Mays' ass into the Thames or the Tower of London.
(grin)
Why is the Brexit vote stupid?

The Brits (mainly English and Welsh) reacted correctly to the massive influx in a short span of time of nearly a million Poles, Lithuanians. And then saw in pipe line Ukrainians.

They saw their working class jobs were advertised abroad and their wages depressed.

They saw foreigners who had not put anything in the system competing with them for scarce benefits, especially housing.

London is not England and Wales.