Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Suggestion Box

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Area Man

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom.... I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are?... I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism." "

Barry Goldwater
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Area Man

"The big thing is to make this country, along with every other country in the world with a few exceptions, quit discriminating against people just because they're gay. You don't have to agree with it, but they have a constitutional right to be gay. And that's what brings me into it."

"Having spent 37 years of my life in the military as a reservist, and never having met a gay in all of that time, and never having even talked about it in all those years, I just thought, why the hell shouldn't they serve? They're American citizens. As long as they're not doing things that are harmful to anyone else... So I came out for it."

“Gays and lesbians are a part of every American family. They should not be shortchanged in their efforts to better their lives and serve their communities. As President Clinton likes to say, ‘If you work hard and play by the rules, you’ll be rewarded’ and not with a pink slip just for being gay.”

Barry Goldwater
Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7:Maybe? but rainbows are better than the alliterative.
Mean nasty liberal spell checker! We hates it!

John
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM

More Goldwater 'Pinko" statements:

"Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar."

"You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight."

"I feel very definitely that the [Nixon] administration is absolutely correct in cracking down on companies and corporations and municipalities that continue to pollute the nation's air and water. While I am a great believer in the free competitive enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment. To this end, it is my belief that when pollution is found, it should be halted at the source, even if this requires stringent government action against important segments of our national economy."

“Today’s so-called ‘conservatives’ don’t even know what the word means. They think I’ve turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It’s not a conservative issue at all.”
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Area Man

"What I was talking about[Gay rights, Abortion]was more or less 'conservative,' " Goldwater recalls, saying he was smeared by the people around President Johnson – "the most dishonest man we ever had in the presidency." Goldwater continues: "The oldest philosophy in the world is conservatism, and I go clear back to the first Greeks. ... When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."

Barry Goldwater
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

There was a neat full page ad on the last page of the A section of the WaPo, paid for by Catholics for Choice - the Vatican will not be amused.

I hope SCOTUS reads it.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I think most people come looking for the bolded above and then drown in the cesspool this forum degenerates into. Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's every violent authoritarian dick who ever got the power to do it.
Right. And THAT could be anyone from any school of political ideology. Take stubborn intransigence, the belief that ones ideas are the "The word of God", or the "True American Way", mix in a love for violent force, (Guns and all things military, anyone?), and you have the recipe for some serious ugliness.

It doesn't have to be "leftist" or "rightist" ideology that drives it.

Dave
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Oh Jeez, now you bring out Sister Mary Elephant??
Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Mean nasty liberal spell checker! We hates it!

John
Are you being obtorsionist? I think you be needin' to trusequeate yourself so you don't look so ublimatic.

Dave