Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
The thing with Beck is, he doesn't care if he gets fired, or shot, or loses everything that's dear to him. He is a patriot and has made a decision to make his life's work exposing corruption in government.
Dunno. He's a shock jock. He's always been a shock jock. Always had a cast of characters he played. This may just be the most successful one he's come up with yet. Not sure I'm buying it.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
You know, I've wondered about that very issue.

I agree that blatant lies should definitely be kept in check. But how?

We trust(?) news agencies who tell us what's going on. They add their biases, cleverly edit content, etc, but basically it's pretty rare to have any stories checked for accuracy before they're presented to the public for their consumption. How can this be done?

I remember reading a story where a classroom full of high school students was discussing freedom of the press. When told that it was indeed the law of the land as the First Amendment of the constitution, almost two-thirds of the students did not believe it and said that these freedoms went too far, and that the government should have oversight of what gets printed or distributed.

The problem with verifying news or other info is "who would do the verifying?"

You need a source that does not have a dog in the fight. I trust Jim Lehrer's news hour because he has no sponsors. Back in Canada the news never had sponsors because you can almost guarantee a bias when there are sponsors. I would not trust anyone working for Rupert Murdoch as far as I could throw them.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sorry but the concept of Beck as a patriot is just too funny for words.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

This thread has degraded almost to "Liar, Liar, pants on fire".

Unbiased reporting is almost an oxymoron. It seems to me you folks watch the media source that accommidates opinions you have already formed.

As for NPR, they have sponsors, private donors and "Foundations". There is money involved, so with money comes the bullshit.

I do not even watch the local news, and have not in years. I am sick of "Rape, kill, pillage and burn" reporting.

I do read 2 local papers, and even there I read very few articles, mostly op-eds and Ltrs 2 Editor stuff. I "glean" my news from other citizens such as yourselves.

I once read a study that stated networks selected female anchors for their appeal to men that would fantasize about the anchor performing oral sex, wish I would have kept that, kind of shows what the networks are really trying to sell you.

I thank you folks for the "balanced" reporting.

Just my observations.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
This thread has degraded almost to "Liar, Liar, pants on fire".

Unbiased reporting is almost an oxymoron. It seems to me you folks watch the media source that accommidates opinions you have already formed.

As for NPR, they have sponsors, private donors and "Foundations". There is money involved, so with money comes the bullshit.

I do not even watch the local news, and have not in years. I am sick of "Rape, kill, pillage and burn" reporting.

I do read 2 local papers, and even there I read very few articles, mostly op-eds and Ltrs 2 Editor stuff. I "glean" my news from other citizens such as yourselves.

I once read a study that stated networks selected female anchors for their appeal to men that would fantasize about the anchor performing oral sex, wish I would have kept that, kind of shows what the networks are really trying to sell you.

I thank you folks for the "balanced" reporting.

Just my observations.

Well...so glad hubby and I are not alone. We are radio enthusiasts probably stemming from a fifties habit. I ocassionally watch the History channel and HGTV ( primarily because of my interest and involvement in gardening and decorating). He on the other hand LOVES sports and is looking forward to this fall season's viewing... on a gifted fifty five inch television.

Local talk radio gives us the true pulse of the public opinions and much food for thought. We read several papers on line and I enjoy crossword puzzles courtesy of our local newsboy.

As a suggestion...I joined this site to add yet another dimention. Some posters were already familiar to me from another site. I also thank a few for the humor...and insight into their thinking. It makes this seasoned citizen smile. The minuses...I can deal with.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Well folks, I don't believe nobody or nuttin.

Even my little dog is sly enough to try to set me up. And the little prick pulls it off every now and then when I ain't payin' attention.

I'll take this one step further. I've read "Crappie Wisdom" and have come to the conclusion that I'll never be as smart as even a fish.

Don't put a lot of stock into my thoughts.

Chas
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Even my little dog is sly enough to try to set me up. And the little prick pulls it off every now and then when I ain't payin' attention.

I'll take this one step further. I've read "Crappie Wisdom" and have come to the conclusion that I'll never be as smart as even a fish.

Chas

OMG, if that's the case where does that leave me???????

I have come to embrace many of your views and always give careful consideration to your posts.

Good thing I don't have a dog.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas

Crappie, did someone say Crappie?

You just can't trust them Linder boys, they are too damned technical to make fishing fun. Best advice I ever found was to change your approach to fit what "IS" bitin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crappie.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Radio/TV is a BUSINESS. It exists SOLELY as a means for generating revenue, a return on investment, for its stations' owners. This fact is neither good nor bad, it just IS. People tune in to what they want to hear, the radio/TV station owner is then able to charge high rates for advertisements that advertisers pay to put on his station...If they DON'T tune in, the station owner can either 1) Go out of business, or 2) change his programming to something people WANT to hear. I decry the number of country and/or gospel stations around here, but that is what the majority of people around here apparently WANT to listen to, & radio station owners are acting accordly to the audiences' wishes, & hopefully make a buck in the process. I suppose I should call or write the FCC, & complain that the stations around here are NOT servicing MY needs as an myopic, 52-yr-old white male who wants to listen to Top-40 hits from the '60s & '70s...(grin)
Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here we have an FM station supported by the listeners that plays classical music 24/7, the four systems in the house are all tuned to that station, don't have time for the rest.