Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 AM

So, I'm still not clear about something:

In previous threads, you've cheered the high price of gasoline. The logic was the high oil and gas prices would act as a catalyst for the alternative energy industry. However, in this thread, some of those same folks appear to be cheering the impact that the recent drop in gas prices have had on their family's budget.

So, which is more important: the short term impact on your family's cash flow or the long tern goal of moving toward alternative energy?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
However, in this thread, some of those same folks appear to be cheering the impact that the recent drop in gas prices have had on their family's budget.
Try actually reading some of the posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I absolutely agree.

We should jack up the gas tax to where it is in western Europe.

That's what I would do if I were dictator.

Jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack.

Our gas tax goes nowhere near paying for the negative impacts of the American love affair with Land Yachts.

I'd make these big ass 4X4 pickem up truck and SUV drivers feel some serious pain.

The same goes for Truckers.

It's about time they started paying their own way.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 12-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
So, I'm still not clear about something:

In previous threads, you've cheered the high price of gasoline. The logic was the high oil and gas prices would act as a catalyst for the alternative energy industry. However, in this thread, some of those same folks appear to be cheering the impact that the recent drop in gas prices have had on their family's budget.

So, which is more important: the short term impact on your family's cash flow or the long tern goal of moving toward alternative energy?
Whell, the list of things you're not clear about is endless.

So, whom are you addressing here? Are you speaking to a particular poster or is your "you" a collective reference to all of us starry-eyed tree huggers?

Since your question is totally lacking substance and intended only to provoke (what a surprise!), I won't bother to respond to it but I will say this.

I think lower gas prices are a perfect opportunity to raise taxes on gasoline and diesel (but not home heating oil). The revenue should be earmarked for subsidies to alternative energy research, development and implementation.
Taxes could be raised significantly and the pump price would still be lower than our historic highs.

How's that for a "win-win"?

How's that for provocative?

John
Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Whell, the list of things you're not clear about is endless.

So, whom are you addressing here? Are you speaking to a particular poster or is your "you" a collective reference to all of us starry-eyed tree huggers?

Since your question is totally lacking substance and intended only to provoke (what a surprise!), I won't bother to respond to it but I will say this.

I think lower gas prices are a perfect opportunity to raise taxes on gasoline and diesel (but not home heating oil). The revenue should be earmarked for subsidies to alternative energy research, development and implementation.
Taxes could be raised significantly and the pump price would still be lower than our historic highs.

How's that for a "win-win"?

How's that for provocative?

John
So, just so we're clear: you're looking at a short - term weakness in oil prices, spurred in part by what is likely short term policy making by the Saudis and OPEC, as an opportunity to increase taxes. Since its also quite likely that the Saudis are responding to the US's increased oil production
- since that increased production is threatening the Saudi's and OPEC's market share, wouldn't that tax actually help out the Saudi's and whatever OPEC nations that Saudi's can convince to follow their lead?

And isn't is the least bit interesting to you that the US's surge in oil production has caused such a major movement in world oil market prices?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
So, just so we're clear: you're looking at a short - term weakness in oil prices, spurred in part by what is likely short term policy making by the Saudis and OPEC
Exactly.

They want to sucker a bunch of idiots like you into replacing your current gas guzzling 4X4 V-8 pickups and SUV's with even bigger gas guzzling 4X4 V-8 pickups and SUV's. Then they'll jack the prices back up higher than ever and you'll be stuck.

It'll work too, because there are plenty of stupid people out there like you.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Exactly.

They want to sucker a bunch of idiots like you into replacing your current gas guzzling 4X4 V-8 pickups and SUV's with even bigger gas guzzling 4X4 V-8 pickups and SUV's.
Ah, it's the whole conspiracy theory thing. Got it. And by the way, our mini van with its V-6 doesn't do too badly on gas. But don't let what I drive get in the way of a good rant.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
So, just so we're clear: you're looking at a short - term weakness in oil prices, spurred in part by what is likely short term policy making by the Saudis and OPEC, as an opportunity to increase taxes. Since its also quite likely that the Saudis are responding to the US's increased oil production
- since that increased production is threatening the Saudi's and OPEC's market share, wouldn't that tax actually help out the Saudi's and whatever OPEC nations that Saudi's can convince to follow their lead?

And isn't is the least bit interesting to you that the US's surge in oil production has caused such a major movement in world oil market prices?

John's post was very specific, "...raise taxes on gasoline and diesel (but not home heating oil)..................".
You have termed it, "........as an opportunity to increase taxes....."

Watch Fox a lot?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:

The Saudis can raise or lower the price of oil on a whim. They don't need a tax increase here to do it. Also, as should surprise no one, your linked article doesn't support your assertion that the falling price is due to Saudi machinations.

There are many other reasons for the huge and rapid price of oil, not least of which is the effect, in and of itself, of US production on global supply. There's also the fact that Daesh is in control of and operating quite a few oil fields in Iraq and Syria. The oil they're pumping is being dumped on the black market at fire sale prices.

John
Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The Saudis can raise or lower the price of oil on a whim. They don't need a tax increase here to do it. Also, as should surprise no one, your linked article doesn't support your assertion that the falling price is due to Saudi machinations.
That's not really how they operate, but don't let a lack of understanding stand in your way. It's not like Saudi's / OPEC's objectives are anything new, and unless you've not been paying much attention you shouldn't need me to enlighten you, but maybe you do. Here, this might help:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...uo5P_blog.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-sau...s-mees-2014-12

Quote:
There are many other reasons for the huge and rapid price of oil, not least of which is the effect, in and of itself, of US production on global supply. There's also the fact that Daesh is in control of and operating quite a few oil fields in Iraq and Syria. The oil they're pumping is being dumped on the black market at fire sale prices.

John
Nothing that the Daesh/ ISIL extremists are doing appear to be impacting long term oil prices. The most commonly cited reason for the oil price drop are summarized here:

Four things are now affecting the picture. Demand is low because of weak economic activity, increased efficiency, and a growing switch away from oil to other fuels. Second, turmoil in Iraq and Libya—two big oil producers with nearly 4m barrels a day combined—has not affected their output. The market is more sanguine about geopolitical risk. Thirdly, America has become the world’s largest oil producer. Though it does not export crude oil, it now imports much less, creating a lot of spare supply. Finally, the Saudis and their Gulf allies have decided not to sacrifice their own market share to restore the price. They could curb production sharply, but the main benefits would go to countries they detest such as Iran and Russia. Saudi Arabia can tolerate lower oil prices quite easily. It has $900 billion in reserves. Its own oil costs very little (around $5-6 per barrel) to get out of the ground.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-4

If you continue to read through the Economist article, you might encounter a rationale that would suggest that slapping a tax on oil might actually help the Saudi's in their efforts to damage the U.S. Oil industry. But I wonder if that really matters to you anyway.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
At the price of how many more towns will be destroyed? Take your North Dakota fraked oil and shove it.