Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

They and any other news outlet are now free to out and out lie in their reporting. How does that sit with you?

John
I also recall CBS canning Dan Rather for pushing a fabricated story that he still maintains is true. I recall the news reports after the Denver theater shooting being more often wrong than even close to the truth. Same with the Connecticut shooting. I see network news divisions doing "infotainment" shows that liberally mix editorial and news and present the product as fact.

To me, I view it as the state of affairs in modern news reporting today. Likely a product of the 24-7 news networks that need filler to maintain an audience, and will manufacture that filler any way they can. You've apparently chosen to heap your ire on Fox News, and likely not without good reason. But I don't see Fox behaving that much differently than CNN, MSNBC, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
How can a reporter who has done "research" get her facts totally reversed, especially when the facts are so strikingly different from what she claimed them to be? That being said, I didn't say that she was lying. I merely asked if we could agree that she might have been. I suppose you're so fond of FOX that you can't even admit that much.
John
I suppose you missed my earlier comment that I don't watch network news shows. As to whether a reporter can get facts reversed, head on out to YouTube. You'll find loads of examples of news reports / anchors / personalities making complete asses of themselves. And I suspect YouTube will need to continue to add server space as folks keep posting new examples.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
I also recall CBS canning Dan Rather for pushing a fabricated story that he still maintains is true. I recall the news reports after the Denver theater shooting being more often wrong than even close to the truth. Same with the Connecticut shooting. I see network news divisions doing "infotainment" shows that liberally mix editorial and news and present the product as fact.

To me, I view it as the state of affairs in modern news reporting today. Likely a product of the 24-7 news networks that need filler to maintain an audience, and will manufacture that filler any way they can. You've apparently chosen to heap your ire on Fox News, and likely not without good reason. But I don't see Fox behaving that much differently than CNN, MSNBC, etc.
Your examples are ones of erroneous reporting, not lies. There is no equivalence. FOX sought and won a court decision that allows them to lie with impunity and to even fire employees who refuse to do it.

John
Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Mini, The idea of solar, wind, geothermal etc. presently is to not replace every dirty source (coal, oil, NG, nuke) power plant. It is to augment it, thereby reducing pollution. BTW, fracked NG is most definitely killing coal. Fossil fuels are all finite, solar isn't. Well, unless you look at the real long term-5,000,000,000 years down the road.
I'm not sure that our national energy policy dovetails with your observations about augmentation. The rate of construction of new coal - fired power plants is declining, and current plants are finding it hard to stay in operation with increasing regulations. Wind power is fine and dandy, but I don't think its proven its viability just yet. Yet, new wind power installations drove up the planned output of wind power ahead of natural gas output last year. Sure, that was due to the prospect of a federal subsidy drying up, but we'll have to see if fracking drives up the contribution of natural gas generated electrical power in a similar fashion in 2013.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...s-in-2012.html

And nuke plants, last i heard, were still in a holding pattern.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/09/news...aste/index.htm
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Your examples are ones of erroneous reporting, not lies. There is no equivalence. FOX sought and won a court decision that allows them to lie with impunity and to even fire employees who refuse to do it.

John
Ah, yes. The Fox news "won the right to lie" internet myth continues to propagate. If it helps you to believe that, go right ahead. However, the last time I checked, Freedom of the press applied to news network affiliates, local news anchors had general managers. and the general managers get to tell their employees what to say on the air.

I suppose if CNN fired Anderson Cooper for picking and choosing the stories that he chooses to pursue, you'd take similar exception with CNN?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Admin

We have a national energy policy? I would love to see that. Got any citations? Have the idiots in control of the House of Representatives heard about this?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
We have a national energy policy? I would love to see that. Got any citations? Have the idiots in control of the House of Representatives heard about this?
LOL! Point taken.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I suppose you missed my earlier comment that I don't watch network news shows. As to whether a reporter can get facts reversed, head on out to YouTube. You'll find loads of examples of news reports / anchors / personalities making complete asses of themselves. And I suspect YouTube will need to continue to add server space as folks keep posting new examples.
No, I didn't miss it but I suppose I did miss the part where you've been talking all through this thread without checking out the link in the OP or in not reading Don's and my earlier posts about FOX's "get out of jail free card".

And, for someone who doesn't watch network news, you certainly seem to have a well developed opinion of the job they do. How'd that happen?

John

John
Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes. The Fox news "won the right to lie" internet myth continues to propagate. If it helps you to believe that, go right ahead. However, the last time I checked, Freedom of the press applied to news network affiliates, local news anchors had general managers. and the general managers get to tell their employees what to say on the air.

I suppose if CNN fired Anderson Cooper for picking and choosing the stories that he chooses to pursue, you'd take similar exception with CNN?
"Picking and choosing" stories isn't the same as broadcasting deliberate lies. That's what FOX won the right to do in court. If you can prove me wrong on that, be my guest. Otherwise, your sarcasm is pretty pointless.

John
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconshorts View Post
Shibani Joshi has no business commenting on how solar power would or would not work. Very stupid of Fox News (and I would say negligent actually) not bringing a Solor Industry person to talk about it.

According to Wikipedia electricity in Germany costs about 31 cents per Kilowatt hour. In the US its 8 to 17.

A while back I ran the numbers and seemed about right. It would take a tripling of electricity prices where I am at to make it even break even. The fact that energy prices in the US are relatively cheap makes solar non-viable. However, Obama is working hard to triple the cost of your electricity prices and will do so if he gets his way. So for those of you praying for a democratic house and senate, better get busy "prepping" for a huge increase in your electricity bills.

http://youtu.be/ydqg7ThZB04

"Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." (January 2008)

Better get those light bulbs swapped out and paint your roof white.

If you're going to quote someone? Do it right. Otherwise, you're just trolling as usual. Sheesh.... and you call me "stupid"?Go find yourself a bridge to hide under, would ya?