Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
When I got canned, they kinda did me a favor. My B/P is now normal, or nearly so, I wasn't going anywhere, & I was the last one of the family that owned the joint previously still there.They said I wasn't doing my job right, but what they let me go over was so nebulous, it could have applied to anyone. My immediate supervisor would go thru my desk drawers & raise hell that they weren't "tidy". Or see a magazine on my desk-I also sorted the mail, & frequently had junk mail on my desk-& raise hell over the magazine being "Not printing related". I had MSNBC as my sign-on screen, & I got dinged over that. Penny-ante bullshit. She didn't like that I kept my door closed, either. But during the winter, they kept the heat so low, that was the only way to stay halfway warm. If you stopped in the hall & visited w/a co-worker more than about 30 seconds you got the fish-eye, too. I pity the people still up there. We were GOOD people, but the new owners were a bunch of arsewholes. Oh, & I had to sign somethin' when I was let go, sayin' I wouldn't "Disparage" Mundet...Well, Steven Wright, you & all the other jerkovs can go kiss what I can't ! I hope you go broke, that's what you deserve...That "Disparagin'" enuff for ya ?!? (grin) I've been gone 18 months now, I'll say what I please...
Went through your desk drawers?

You know, a conibear trap inside of a pair of panties would have put an end to that.

Since you were getting fired anyway.

Chas
Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I remember years ago I had to fire the neighbor kid, he was just a dud. Almost made me sick, but I finally worked up the gumption and told him, "Jim, I hate to do this, but I've got to let you go."

Once I saw the smile on his face, I finally made the connection. Jim never wanted a job, his Momma MADE him come ask me for a job.

That made me feel a little better, but I still despise passing out walking papers.
I remember back in the 70's one of the first people I had to let go was someone I had "carried" for a long time. When I told him he would be let go he was shocked. He demanded to know why if he was not producing why was he not told by me? I told him I never told him because I did not want him to feel bad and since I could get things done anyway why upset him.
He told me that I had not been fair to him and that by not being honest with him no matter what my intent gave him no opportunity to become productive.
He was right.

After that I fired many other people over the years but never had a bad experience again as I was always very clear on expectations and reviewed performance. In fact I had several people apologize to me when I fired them and even had people seek me out years later to thank me for all I had done for them in spite of having to fire them eventually.

Still it was never pleasant.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

I see that Senator Brown voted for the Jobs Bill much to the dsipleasure of Mitch McConnell - though he usually has such a sour puss it is difficult to tell.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I remember back in the 70's one of the first people I had to let go was someone I had "carried" for a long time. When I told him he would be let go he was shocked. He demanded to know why if he was not producing why was he not told by me? I told him I never told him because I did not want him to feel bad and since I could get things done anyway why upset him.
He told me that I had not been fair to him and that by not being honest with him no matter what my intent gave him no opportunity to become productive.
He was right.

After that I fired many other people over the years but never had a bad experience again as I was always very clear on expectations and reviewed performance. In fact I had several people apologize to me when I fired them and even had people seek me out years later to thank me for all I had done for them in spite of having to fire them eventually.

Still it was never pleasant.

That's the key. Every time I say anything to an employee I have a voice in the back of my head "what if you have to fire this person down the road?" If an employee of mine gets praise you can be damn sure they earned it. And if they're not pulling their weight you can be *very* damn sure they know it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I see that Senator Brown voted for the Jobs Bill much to the dsipleasure of Mitch McConnell - though he usually has such a sour puss it is difficult to tell.
Yep. What amazes me is the wing-nuts I've seen suggesting him for a Presidential run in 2012.........after only what, a month in office? Just because he's the "41st" who broke the Dems "magic 60" and nothing more?
The shallow logic is amazing, isn't it, Rob?

Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yep. What amazes me is the wing-nuts I've seen suggesting him for a Presidential run in 2012.........after only what, a month in office? Just because he's the "41st" who broke the Dems "magic 60" and nothing more?
The shallow logic is amazing, isn't it, Rob?

Dave
to be fair he is also a playgirl centerfold
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Resident octogenarian

The main reason is that they have absolutely no one else to run for President, so the grab onto anyone still breathing.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
to be fair he is also a playgirl centerfold
Which would be an important point with Gay Republicans. (But, the rest of the party doesn't like to talk about them. It's just not good. Take their money, of course, but don't be seen thanking them for it. It will upset the homophobes and the religious zealots.)

Dave
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Which would be an important point with Gay Republicans. (But, the rest of the party doesn't like to talk about them. It's just not good. Take their money, of course, but don't be seen thanking them for it. It will upset the homophobes and the religious zealots.)

Dave
Some wing nut asshole got up at the CPAC Convention and "condemned" the organizers for inviting GOPride, a gay Republican group.

John
Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Some wing nut asshole got up at the CPAC Convention and "condemned" the organizers for inviting GOPride, a gay Republican group.

John
Is there something about that that surprises you?

Dave