Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM

If the gummint has as much control of GM as we think they do, they would do well to order the release of manufacturing assets (plants, property, and tooling) as part of the sale.

As long as GM holds all the cards, they're just going to keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Loyal Opposition

I just got a flyer from the dealership where I bought my Saturn. They will close their doors tomorrow. Hell, I did my part, I bought two of them within a month. (My first one got totalled by an out of control Mustang. My car was vacant.)

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Penske's bright idea was to have Nissan use it's excess capacity to build the new "saturns". GM was never gonna play a part in it in the long term.

As far as government involvement in the auto industry, the Japanese have been doing it for 50 years, and it has worked just fine for them. Certainly no free market in Japan.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Penske's bright idea was to have Nissan use it's excess capacity to build the new "saturns". GM was never gonna play a part in it in the long term.

As far as government involvement in the auto industry, the Japanese have been doing it for 50 years, and it has worked just fine for them. Certainly no free market in Japan.
Interesting to have an international perspective here. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

I should know this, but I don't - are any of Japan's industries unionized?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Hi, everyone. First post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Another report was that Penske had approached Renault (which owns 40 odd percent of Nissan) as his manufacturing partner. Whoever it was, they didn't bite so Roger was left without a source for vehicles once GM shut the lines down next year.

Quote:
And, speaking of Renault, the French government had a stake that company it until 1996 when they re-privatized it. The government intervened in the early '80s to stave off Renault's imminent collapse. The directors they appointed turned the company around.

Just as with the Swedish banking system, temporary nationalization of key industries can work wonders if done correctly.

John