Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

So how come our V6 Impalas get better gas mileage than the Toyota RAV4 4 bangers? In addition to the new Malibu Chev has the new Cruze in the works thhat should give those toy Otas a run for their money

Funny part was when Florence was teaching English to young executives in Japan they told her outright that while they had lost the shooting war they would bury us financialy and they did with our help.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So how come our V6 Impalas get better gas mileage than the Toyota RAV4 4 bangers? In addition to the new Malibu Chev has the new Cruze in the works thhat should give those toy Otas a run for their money.
Everywhere but the resale value. I didn't say that we couldn't make good engines, but you'll never convince me that America can build a small and more economically efficient engine better than they do in Japan.

I love General Motors products, I'd drive an Impala over a RAV4 any day, Impalas are great cars. But let's be realistic. In a race to see which engine will get the first check engine light or need the first head gasket, the Impala will win.

We must have half a dozen of those come through used car recon every week. Those 3400 engines are well known for lower intake gasket failures and wrist pin knock, and it shows in their resale value. Would I buy one? Damn straight, I like them. Do they have a better engine than the RAV4? Not by a long shot.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

Then I won't worry since both of our Impalas are LS models with the 3.8 and I know that is a damn good block. I put 140,000 mile on a Buick Century with a 3,8 V6 and it still did not burn oil.

The 2.2 litre Mazda engine in the Ford Probe I had blew a rear oil seal at 75,000 but it was cheaper to add oil than spend $300 to change a $20 part. Funny part was that engine did not like ethanol in the gas, when I gave it to the Sally Ann and bought the Impala it was giving me less MPG than the Impala.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Been a chevy guy all my life. Last van was a venture and I have to say lord what a POS the electrical system was in it. Also the 3.4 while a punchy motor is well known for blowing head gaskets in as little as 70K.

My current 2000 astovan is probably my fav chevy but even its not without its fault. Intake gasket failure is well documented at 100K or under as well starter and AC issues.

My biggest gripe with chevy is WTF is with repair costs. I bought a chevy not a BMW. What I mean is try to find an astovan starter for under 300 bones. Come on thats rediculous !