in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Abby Normal

lol, facts are facts
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
lol, facts are facts
You know what Noonereal, you exhibit all of the classic, arrogant liberal traits which drive people into the conservative movement.

"FIX" network, "hard working chumps", "it's sad when people vote against their own best interests", etc. You dismiss everything to the left of your personal viewpoint out of hand, as though it's not worthy of any consideration.

The left has played this game for a long time. They paint themselves as enlightened and highly intelligent. Their candidates take on a rock star personna, and are addressed by one name, such as "Hillary" or "Obama". Bill Clinton was a policy wonk, Hillary was the "world's smartest woman", and Obama can do anything short of walk on water.

As one of the "chumps" who is simply a tool of the right wing puppetmasters, and too stupid to vote in my best interests, I'd just like to point out a couple of things. I not only vote much of the time on principle, but as often as not on what I perceive as not only in my best interests, but also in the best interests of the nation.

"Facts are facts", huh? Politics and mathematics are not the same thing. But I'll give you one fact...YOUR opinion of what's best for me is not the same as MY opinion of what's best for me.

I will admit, there are a lot of really smart liberals. But again, there are a lot of really smart conservatives. They just have a different philosophy.

But the REALLY smart ones don't go around trying to piss off the opposition, because if they expect to get anything done, they're gonna need them.

Chas
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

"Facts are facts", huh? Politics and mathematics are not the same thing. But I'll give you one fact...YOUR opinion of what's best for me is not the same as MY opinion of what's best for me.

Chas
Well said! We all vote according to what we believe to be in the best interest of us as well as our families.
What I find most interesting is...those that voted Obama into office are not happy campers these days. A few are still watching the election polls. It's over...relax...you got whom you wanted... for now.

As far as the healthcare issue...we need to contact our reps and let them know how we feel. The squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Last edited by painter; 08-02-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Obamessiah CAN'T walk on water ?!? Omigawd, Myrtle ! What are we gonna do...Next, you'll be tellin' me he AIN'T gonna pay for my house, gas, phone, lights, insurance, gettin' the dog groomed....
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

If you relly look back a few years you will see that when people like Dirksen and others of his era died politics started to get nasty. By the time the Decider's right hand man Rove got started and that other fat idiot with the talk show bi-partisanship died and it will be a snowy day in August when it gets ressurected.

Richard Mellon Scaife did this country no favours with all the money he spent trying to demonize the Clintons, up to that point Bill's only crime had been beating Bush senior at the ballot box. Regardless of what so many in the GOP believe they do not rule by divine right.

I really think that at this point both parties should be outlawed. The right is bereft of new ideas and I equate Blue Dogs with those spoiled kids who, when they don't get their own way, hold their breath until they turn blue.

Even Reagan with all his faults managed to garner a few bi-partisan votes.

Now as Will Rogers said many years ago, we really do have the best government money can buy.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You know what Noonereal, you exhibit all of the classic, arrogant liberal traits which drive people into the conservative movement.

"FIX" network, "hard working chumps", "it's sad when people vote against their own best interests", etc. You dismiss everything to the left of your personal viewpoint out of hand, as though it's not worthy of any consideration.

The left has played this game for a long time. They paint themselves as enlightened and highly intelligent. Their candidates take on a rock star personna, and are addressed by one name, such as "Hillary" or "Obama". Bill Clinton was a policy wonk, Hillary was the "world's smartest woman", and Obama can do anything short of walk on water.

As one of the "chumps" who is simply a tool of the right wing puppetmasters, and too stupid to vote in my best interests, I'd just like to point out a couple of things. I not only vote much of the time on principle, but as often as not on what I perceive as not only in my best interests, but also in the best interests of the nation.

I will admit, there are a lot of really smart liberals. But again, there are a lot of really smart conservatives. They just have a different philosophy.

But the REALLY smart ones don't go around trying to piss off the opposition, because if they expect to get anything done, they're gonna need them.

Chas
Did not mean to insult you but why not then offer your opinion as to why after decades of opposing health care McCain is now offering something?
Do you also disagree as to why he is on Fox?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
If you relly look back a few years you will see that when people like Dirksen and others of his era died politics started to get nasty. .

I think we all have a tendency to keep looking back (he said...she said). Obama is the pres and has promised change. So far...the changes are not what America is all about. Remember...I am an Independent. i was a Democrat WITH BRAINS at one time...then a Republican who found little difference from the former. I would hope we could look at the present...hope for the ideals our country stood for and b**ch when necessary. I see too many young people with children going to food banks. Men are out of work!!!! Keep in mind... when unemployed individuals have reached their limit on benefits...the results will show a lesser number on the roles.

Last edited by painter; 08-03-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I think we all have a tendency to keep looking back (he said...she said). Obama is the pres and has promised change. So far...the changes are not what America is all about. Remember...I am an Independent. i was a Democrat WITH BRAINS at one time...then a Republican who found little difference from the former. I would hope we could look at the present...hope for the ideals our country stood for and b**ch when necessary. I see too many young people with children going to food banks. Men are out of work!!!! Keep in mind... when unemployed individuals have reached their limit on benefits...the results will show a lesser number on the roles.

I know several people who are in the unenjoyment system and have been for close to a year and half. Its my understanding as of right now there is no limit in sight as to term limits. In a way thats a good thing but many I know refuse to look because they are earning way more on the house then
if they took lessor jobs.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Back to Healthcare and Insurance:

I listened (while on a long work-related car ride) to a radio program today on the health care debate and a nurse called in to remind folks that healthcare isn't free (nor is the insurance). Since the 1940s so many folks have had their health insurance paid for by their employers...if the employers didn't buy this then either the profits would increase or salaries would (could) increase, or both...but then the employee would need to purchase their own insurance. What many people forget is that one way or the other we are all paying for healthcare already, yet we all need to be more conscious of the responsibilities and costs of healthcare and insurance.

Healthcare and insurance isn't and shouldn't be free.

Last edited by wajobu; 08-03-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I know several people who are in the unenjoyment system and have been for close to a year and half. Its my understanding as of right now there is no limit in sight as to term limits. In a way thats a good thing but many I know refuse to look because they are earning way more on the house then
if they took lessor jobs.

You are right...thanks for setting the record straight. This is the latest from New York State...

Extended Benefits
Since the average unemployment rate in New York State is now above 8%, an additional 7 weeks of Extended Benefits have been added, for a total of 20 weeks. This is in addition to the 26 weeks of regular benefits and the 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits. Extended Benefits may be claimed on this website in the usual manner.
For information about Unemployment Benefit Extensions, click here.