Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Loyal Opposition

Political discussion is commonplace at my work, but the political views are somewhat homogenous. One doesn't generally go into a practice representing unions without a political commitment to the ideals of the labor movement. The guys sitting on the other side of the table are billing at a much higher rate and making a lot more money, but that's not our motivation in entering the practice.

It is a bit less homogenous on the other side of the table. Early on in my career, I was involved in a case in which both the union and the employer were being sued by the same person. Visiting between depositions with the management attorney, I learned that he had taken a semester of college off to work on Bobby Kennedy's presidential campaign. That shocked me at the time, but as I got to know more about his firm, I learned that even though they were a "silk stocking" firm, there were plenty of Democrats.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Political discussion is commonplace at my work, but the political views are somewhat homogenous. One doesn't generally go into a practice representing unions without a political commitment to the ideals of the labor movement. The guys sitting on the other side of the table are billing at a much higher rate and making a lot more money, but that's not our motivation in entering the practice.

It is a bit less homogenous on the other side of the table. Early on in my career, I was involved in a case in which both the union and the employer were being sued by the same person. Visiting between depositions with the management attorney, I learned that he had taken a semester of college off to work on Bobby Kennedy's presidential campaign. That shocked me at the time, but as I got to know more about his firm, I learned that even though they were a "silk stocking" firm, there were plenty of Democrats.

Regards,

D-Ray
Yeah, they're too busy stabbing each other in the back for a promotion.
Meanwhile, in Ye Olde Coffee Factory, the demotions continue.

Our former esteemed Plant Manager is now a production supervisor.......Ummmmmm, well maybe not. He was supposed to start nightshift a week ago....Hasn't happened. My guess is the prospect of having to actully stay up all night in the 110 degree heat and maybe actually get off his lazy ass and do some friggin' work has him considering his options.

Ah, the fate of the downwardly mobile.....it's tough on a scumbag when what he once put out comes back around. Karma is a bitch, fo' sho'.........

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, they're too busy stabbing each other in the back for a promotion.
Meanwhile, in Ye Olde Coffee Factory, the demotions continue.

Ah, the fate of the downwardly mobile.....it's tough on a scumbag when what he once put out comes back around. Karma is a bitch, fo' sho'.........

Dave
The same people you mistreat on your way up
You might meet up, on your way down....Lil' Feat IIRC
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm the same in your face as on this screen! So if ever we meet, which is OK anytime by me. We shall be as we are now!

I treat any conversations here as if we were face to face. Anything I state I hope is as if we were eyeball to eyeball. Only expect the same from you'all.....

Barney
Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Merry, I'd like to think that I am the same whether face to face or via internet, but, I don't think it is all that simple. We all put on a different face for different situations. While I'm direct and transparnt in either venue, there are topics I would discuss face to face that I would not on the internet and visa versa. But, more interesting to me is the social shifts one makes as they negotiate their way through public forums in cyber space.
Barbara it is simply a matter of age and at my advanced years I simply no longer have the patience to dissemble, I do not have enough time left. Florence and I met later in life so we keep asking Him for another 30 years. We do this every year but I think He has caught on.. This October will be our 29th anniversary.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
I never truly tried to hide who I am online, merely remaining cognizant that nothing, ever, truly goes away. The key -- to me -- is to be as honest as possible about who you are and what you believe. (Past that, even to the crazies, words stand on their own.) I have a habit of being right which has been known to throw the Internet into a tizzy.

To wit, some years back, I indicated with long-standing finality that the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma would capitulate like a little schoolchild when the Freedman issue boiled to a head.

It took a few years, with much posturing related to "self-determination, sovereignty, we determine who are citizens are, etc.," but things did distill: the Federal government, through the power of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, made clear that the Cherokee Nation (in current form) exists at the will, pleasure and recognition of the United States though limited sovereignty.

The Cherokee were told they absolutely possess the power to remove the Freedmen from their decades old citizenship, retroactively, to increase the government teat spoils for everyone else. Of course, the feds would merely allow true sovereignty by cutting off the spoils, ceasing to recognize the tribe, and -- therefore -- giving them (and I am a sliver Cherokee but mostly other stuff) the opportunity to move forward on their own.

Within 24 hours, the tribe capitulated.

Similarly, some years back, my alma mater (in a fit of desperation having been embarrassingly turned down by other candidates) hired a failed NFL leader, with known character issues at the college level, to succeed a recently resigned coach.

I indicated with long-standing finality that this guy was a job hopper who had never completed a fourth year, left unaddressed player legal issues in his wake, is a narcissist, couldn't lead men (or young men), and otherwise was acknowledged scum who lies to administrators, recruits and players, and would otherwise bring shame to my university.

It took a few years, with much posturing related to ten win seasons (we were a few plays from being 8-4 in each), but things distilled in this case as well: said hire was was fired for cause, six Razorback players have been arrested since March, we have hired an interim coach with a sub .500 record at the D1 level, we're being out recruited by Vanderbilt (not the we haven't been for two years), and the humiliation is ongoing before we've even played a game.

My school had plenty of information indicating that this was the likely eventual scenario. This shamed coach had negotiated for a different job behind administration's back at his last college stop, buried multiple player legal issues at Louisville that had to be addressed by the next hire, failed as a leader of men in the NFL where he informed players of his mid-season resignation via note in their locker, and otherwise had left under a cloud or otherwise snapped at the feeding hand -- consistently -- in under 48 months with each prior employer.

Within four years, it happened again.

In each case, I am told a concentrated effort was made to determine precisely who I am, where I live, what I do for a living, etc. (Although the stuff I have seen is woefully inaccurate.) I've been called not an alum, not an American Indian, and all sorts of other stuff in public forums for nothing more than being 100% accurate. In the grand scheme it doesn't bother me as these less than courageous loons don't actually have the courage to knock on my door, if they could find it. (Plus, they'd have to acknowledge the fact that I was right which is anathema to them.) I just kept saying, throughout the process of discovery on these issues, what I've been saying for years...

The bottom line?

1. You can't really hide who you are on the Internet.
2. If you're going to say something, be willing to stand behind it as it will come back.
3. Folks don't get mad when you're wrong, they get mad when you're right and they wish you weren't.

Last edited by Zeke; 05-28-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Barbara it is simply a matter of age and at my advanced years I simply no longer have the patience to dissemble, I do not have enough time left. Florence and I met later in life so we keep asking Him for another 30 years. We do this every year but I think He has caught on.. This October will be our 29th anniversary.
Agreed that age is a factor.
I hope He grants you and Florence every wish.........
Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Zeke,
your last three statements are true as experience tells us.............

so, do you think that makes internet users more careful about what they put out there in cyberspace? That those truths force people into more honesty and integrity in debate? (especially in political forums)
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Zeke,
your last three statements are true as experience tells us.............

so, do you think that makes internet users more careful about what they put out there in cyberspace? That those truths force people into more honesty and integrity in debate? (especially in political forums)
I think the presumption of anonymity leads a lot of folks into voicing opinions they wouldn't in polite company. So, in a way, this is a form of honesty but it isn't achieved through any semblance of accountability.

I'm just big on free exchange of ideas and a level of rationality in arguments. Folks who are -- and I've done it, we all have -- emotionally compromised rarely reach accurate conclusions.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I think the presumption of anonymity leads a lot of folks into voicing opinions they wouldn't in polite company. So, in a way, this is a form of honesty but it isn't achieved through any semblance of accountability.

I'm just big on free exchange of ideas and a level of rationality in arguments. Folks who are -- and I've done it, we all have -- emotionally compromised rarely reach accurate conclusions.
Thanks for that Zeke particularly the last two lines as they express exactly my views had I really gave it as much thought as you have.