Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Thanks for the great ideas!
I'm going to have to try the chic and dumplings....
Perhaps Finnbow will post up that Alsatian recipe. The picture looked great. I made a variation and it was great.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why not just eat out of the pot and have less dishes to wash?

Chas
I've gone one better and just set the open can on the glowing coals......

Who's the fool who totes around 50lbs of iron pots-n-skillets when he's backpacking? Not me.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Perhaps Finnbow will post up that Alsatian recipe. The picture looked great. I made a variation and it was great.
Barbara - I love to cook and makes all sorts of stuff from Italian to Greek, middle Eastern, German, French, Thai, Japanese, Chinese and a few others. Do you have any favored cuisines or ingredients? I'm sure I have some recipes that'll fit your needs.

Here's my Choucroute Garnie (Alsatian sauerkraut) recipe. It's great and nothing like the funky, stinky stuff many Americans call Sauerkraut.

One 2# bag of sauerkraut. Rinse by putting in a large colander and immersing in a sink full of cold water. Rinse 4-5 times. This is essential.

Render fat from two slices of chopped bacon. When bacon is brown, add one large chopped onion and saute until soft.
Add drained and rinsed sauerkraut, along with:
1 peeled and grated Granny Smith (or other tart) apple
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
2 cups dry white wine (dry Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc)

Bring sauerkraut to a boil and add ample porcine goodness (ham, pork chops, smoked sausage, bratwurst). Have the pork covered by the kraut.

Simmer for an hour and serve on a large platter with meat piled on top of sauerkraut and boiled new potatoes (red or white) surrounding the kraut (boil potatoes separately). Serve with hot mustard.

This goes best with a tart, dry white wine (again a dry Riesling (preferably from the Alsace) or Sauvignon Blanc)

Last edited by finnbow; 05-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Here's what I fixed today:

Four cups of chopped onions;
Four bell peppers diced;
Brown the above with three pounds of ground beef;
Put in two crockpots with fifteen 20 oz. cans of pork and beans;
add 2 cups of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce to each crockpot;
Cook on high for 2 hours.

Pour eight 12 oz. cans of beer into two large soup pots.
Add 48 bratwurst suasages;
Bring to a boil and boil for fifteen minutes;
Light up a bag of Charcoal;
Remove the brats from the beer;
Put the brats on the grill and brown evenly.

Add some BBQ beef; pulled pork; hot dogs; frog eye salad; pasta salad; cole slaw; chips; pop; beer, brownies and watermelon.

Add a boy with five years of college and a physics degree under his belt, and a roommate with five years of college and a computer science degree, bring along a drum and some guitars and have a party.

Oh yeah, add about three inches of rain and a tornado siren. Thank goodness for covered park shelters.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Area Man

Sounds delish, Don.

But, I'd avoid letting my arse get anywhere near open flames for a few days after that.......
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM

My mom made these no bake chocolate and peanut butter cookies for me as a kid and I still make the to this day. One pan is all you need and a little bit of time. So good and so easy they should be illegal
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Got any good recipies?.

yes
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Barbara - I love to cook and makes all sorts of stuff from Italian to Greek, middle Eastern, German, French, Thai, Japanese, Chinese and a few others. Do you have any favored cuisines or ingredients? I'm sure I have some recipes that'll fit your needs.

Here's my Choucroute Garnie (Alsatian sauerkraut) recipe. It's great and nothing like the funky, stinky stuff many Americans call Sauerkraut.

One 2# bag of sauerkraut. Rinse by putting in a large colander and immersing in a sink full of cold water. Rinse 4-5 times. This is essential.

Render fat from two slices of chopped bacon. When bacon is brown, add one large chopped onion and saute until soft.
Add drained and rinsed sauerkraut, along with:
1 peeled and grated Granny Smith (or other tart) apple
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
2 cups dry white wine (dry Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc)

Bring sauerkraut to a boil and add ample porcine goodness (ham, pork chops, smoked sausage, bratwurst). Have the pork covered by the kraut.

Simmer for an hour and serve on a large platter with meat piled on top of sauerkraut and boiled new potatoes (red or white) surrounding the kraut (boil potatoes separately). Serve with hot mustard.

This goes best with a tart, dry white wine (again a dry Riesling (preferably from the Alsace) or Sauvignon Blanc)
Got dammit! Now I'm hungry and I've got this strange urge to put on some Lederhosen and invade somebody! Alsace we're commink vor yu!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM

Finnbow, we eat just about anything, lol. Right now I have most of a ham left over and am using it in a variety of ways. By the week end I'll clean up what is left on the bone to cook with eggs and potatoes.
Most of the real cooking I do is on the week ends. During the week I just throw stuff together so we don't starve.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Finnbow, we eat just about anything, lol. Right now I have most of a ham left over and am using it in a variety of ways. By the week end I'll clean up what is left on the bone to cook with eggs and potatoes.
Most of the real cooking I do is on the week ends. During the week I just throw stuff together so we don't starve.
Leftover ham - If it's a big chunk on the bone, I'd go with a pot of split pea or Senate navy bean soup, or perhaps a pot of New Orleans style red beans to serve over rice. Pick one and I'll elaborate, if you wish.