Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:58 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
OK, you explain that you think Clinton was bad for domestic industry, while Biden is good. What I am missing is why that is Biden favoring his base, and not 'everyone.'

I will note you have a lot of resentment and bitterness coming out when you speak of 'Clinton spitting.' I suspect you felt personally harmed by economic changes in the Clinton era.
I did fairly well during and after the Clinton era. However I sincerely hold democrats' praises shown Clinton are undeserving. I believe democrats to this day are afraid to be frank re Clinton. I suspect they fear that by doing so they are giving an edge to the Repubs.

The said base is a faithful, long suffering one which often is just accorded lip service.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:42 PM
Ready

Once again I read evocations of the victimhood of the base, and more preoccupation with the badness of Clinton. Can we talk about Biden? Does the rising tide of Biden's industrial policy not lift all or most boats?
Old 05-26-2023, 02:28 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Once again I read evocations of the victimhood of the base, and more preoccupation with the badness of Clinton. Can we talk about Biden? Does the rising tide of Biden's industrial policy not lift all or most boats?
Some boats.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
OK, you explain that you think Clinton was bad for domestic industry, while Biden is good. What I am missing is why that is Biden favoring his base, and not 'everyone.'
Because "everyone" is not represented at the meeting in Detroit. The political class is represented and labor is represented. That's pretty much it. Biden's trade policy is "worker-centered". I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean in total, or what it might be a euphemism for. Here's how the AFL-CIO explains it:

As the Biden administration continues to remake U.S. trade policy, its “worker-centered” approach extends to digital trade and the digital economy by placing the needs of workers, consumers and society ahead of the profits and interests of big technology companies.

Sounds like a rather manufacturer-unfriendly policy to me.

Last edited by whell; 05-26-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Because "everyone" is not represented at the meeting in Detroit. The political class is represented and labor is represented. That's pretty much it. Biden's trade policy is "worker-centered". I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean in total, or what it might be a euphemism for. Here's how the AFL-CIO explains it:

As the Biden administration continues to remake U.S. trade policy, its “worker-centered” approach extends to digital trade and the digital economy by placing the needs of workers, consumers and society ahead of the profits and interests of big technology companies.

Sounds like a rather manufacturer-unfriendly policy to me.
So what and what makes you think that manufacturers are not being spoken to. Sounds more like yet another Biden bashing from you. (Yawn).

These meetings are meant to be symbolic and the real give and take is done behind the scenes.

Biden’s massive manufacturing push is working and U.S. companies have already committed $200 billion to new projects

Quote:
The Biden administration’s efforts to revive U.S. manufacturing appear to be succeeding, with some business sectors plowing in almost 20 times the investment in new U.S. manufacturing projects versus only a few years ago.
I personally know of a small independent manufacturer who have moved their entire manufacturing to the US very recently and this tide will continue.

https://fortune.com/2023/04/17/biden...g-200-billion/
Old 05-27-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
So what and what makes you think that manufacturers are not being spoken to. Sounds more like yet another Biden bashing from you. (Yawn).

These meetings are meant to be symbolic and the real give and take is done behind the scenes.
Because I actually read the article. Maybe I missed it, but I did not see the list of manufacturers who attended this meeting.

This was also the first I've seen of the "worker-centered" trade policy. So, I looked it up. At best, the descriptions sound more hopeful than practicable and involve many politicians speaking about its virtues. But as usual, there's a lot of rhetoric and not much substance.
It turns out that this article was published in Politico on the same day as the article from Politico posted above. Here are a couple of key quotes:

More fundamentally, Biden’s brain trust has yet to settle on a vision for how the next era of global economics will be constructed. Their initial ideas are abstract at best.

“I don’t know if the administration has clearly outlined what that new world looks like,” Sen. Marco Rubio, the top Republican on the Intelligence Committee, told POLITICO after a Capitol Hill hearing in February when he assailed the old, pro-globalization paradigm. “But I don’t know if anybody else has either.”

The Rubio comment is interesting in that it is 1) a pretty balanced assessment, and 2) he's no fan of Trump's brand of trade policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Biden’s massive manufacturing push is working and U.S. companies have already committed $200 billion to new projects

I personally know of a small independent manufacturer who have moved their entire manufacturing to the US very recently and this tide will continue.
Yes, the $200B number is attributed to the Semiconductor bill that passed earlier with pretty broad bipartisan support. But that has nothing to do with a so-called "worker-centered trade policy" that has no flesh and bones yet.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:31 PM
Jigsawed

I suspect also that Biden is expecting some German input.
The loss of cheap energy has forced Germany to consider moving part of its manufacturing to the US. Additionally the the size of the Biden's proposed subsidy adds to Europe's unease.

The happening in Detroit could just be symbolic. However, I truly believe that Biden wants to reward his base.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Ready

You mean 'black people' when you say 'his base?'
Old 05-27-2023, 06:16 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Organized, active union.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Do YOU mean black people when you refer to Biden's base?