Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:09 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The fact that you choose to ignore that in order to try again score cheap debate points is your problem, not mine.
Sorry Whell, but you have no standing to accuse anyone of 'scoring cheap debate points,' ever! If there was a law against hypocrisy, you'd do 20 years for that one!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I'm not conflating anything, as everything after the first sentence demonstrates. The debt and the deficit are linked, however, in two ways:

1) The obvious: a current year's deficit becomes part of next year's debt. You appear to concede this point above. Our government does this with great frequency, which may be news to you based on your diatribe above.
2) In order to gain some negotiating leverage, a vote on the debt ceiling has been delayed. All reports I've read are that discussions on this point amount the elected class are on-going, and going pretty well. However, the House does retain the power of the purse, and it can by vote deny funds for budgeted expenses as a check on the power of the Executive.

Strawman alert!

No, I don't believe that at all. In fact, I believe quite to opposite and have stated it here a number of times. The fact that you choose to ignore that in order to try again score cheap debate points is your problem, not mine.

Wow. The Repubs are threatening the increase the debt? Something that would happen anyway if they had done nothing? Those beasts!

Sure it does....
Put your money where your mouth is. Starting now, refuse to pay your credit card bill and report back in a couple of months and inform us how much your credit card debt has decreased.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:56 PM
Jigsawed

January Producer Price Index.

https://cnbc.com/2023/02/16/producer...ary-2023-.html

Wholesale prices rose 0.7% in January, more than expected, fueling inflation increase.

Powell will have to ignore the noisemakers in the market and do what is needed...the Fed rate has to be above the inflation rate. The easy money days are over! Inflation is entrenched.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Sorry Whell, but you have no standing to accuse anyone of 'scoring cheap debate points,' ever! If there was a law against hypocrisy, you'd do 20 years for that one!
Wow, that hurts...
Old 02-17-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Put your money where your mouth is. Starting now, refuse to pay your credit card bill and report back in a couple of months and inform us how much your credit card debt has decreased.
No problem. I'll just do what the Fed does. I'll print money.

Actually, it's you who often states that the government should not be compared to a corporation or to personal finances. So, please stop with the hypocrisy.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
No problem. I'll just do what the Fed does. I'll print money.

Actually, it's you who often states that the government should not be compared to a corporation or to personal finances. So, please stop with the hypocrisy.
I specifically said it's inappropriate to do so except for illustrative purposes to help the economic illiterate. You're welcome.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-17-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:33 PM
Ready

Quote:
Wow, that hurts...
Well it got your attention, but I don't believe you totally. Trollhide, you know....
Old 02-17-2023, 03:34 PM

Just spitballing here, ya think if wanting to square up the balance sheet into the black.

Having better enforcement of the tax laws we have and fixing loop holes used to transfer liabilities. Not eliminating or failing to replace the very people needed.

Their are many who are being fooled into thinking their gated communities and police forces will protect them from the pitchforks and torches.

In the end they don't....
Old 02-18-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I specifically said it's inappropriate to do so except for illustrative purposes to help the economic illiterate. You're welcome.
You're all over the map, actually.

Quote:
This illustrates how using conventional economic analysis often fails when talking about the federal government.
Yet, you hold forth on the subject frequently and then claim that folks who don't always share your views on the subject. When I make such comparisons for "illustrative purposes" you tell me I'm wrong for doing so.

Make up your mind.

Also, in the post quoted above, you suggest that the government owns the EM spectrum. It regulates the spectrum in the public interest but cannot claim the spectrum as an asset.

Last edited by whell; 02-18-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:34 AM
Admin

smh...