Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

I hope this has not already been posted. I find it very disturbing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...n-killing.html

Look I am not an anti 2nd amendment person, I own plenty of guns, but a state that enacts a law that allows you to gun down someone if you "feel" threatened by them is just plain wrong.

Let me qualify myself. There are already laws that allow you to use lethal force if someone is threatening your life. A seventeen year old black kid should not be killed for walking to the corner store to buy skittles, and a drink Then, when trying to walk back home, he is confronted, and then murdered by an asshole who thinks he is the self appointed protector of the gated community.

This is not what pisses me off the most. The asshole who killed the kid, in cold blood, still has not been arrested. It has been a month since the shooting.

This is the law the prick is hiding behind:

Under Florida law, there is no "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a lawful right to be. Instead, you may stand your ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Those must have been some deadly Skittles. It is the "reasonably believe " part that doesn't work in the law. Who determines what is reasonable if their is no arrest and no trial. The cops!?

Thanks Jeb, you did a great deed signing this stinker into law. Guess you are a committed NRA guy, even though your father despised the NRA, but that is another story

BTW, Since when is an Hispanic man (the shooter) a white man. I can't believe these news reporters.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Anyone recall Bill discussing his brandishing of firearm when he felt threatened?

That's why you don't write laws like this.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM

I've been hearing about this story on the news and it is very disturbing on several levels. I also heard snippets of a 911 call the perpetrator made before the shooting. The 911 operator told the man not to follow the kid...
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Admin

This is a tragedy and it looks like a whole lot of states have jumped on the bandwagon with it. Vigilantie commitees served up by the HOA is how I'm seeing this one and should be sued along with drop kicking this murderous SOB into the general population at Rayford.

At least the Grand Jury will now be looking at this along with the FBI.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Area Man

More stupid shit, foisted upon American society by half-wit Dirty Harry wannabes.

Let's see, you get to kill an unarmed person, then walk away because you felt justified in doing so? That's just friggin' excellent.

What's next? Pre-emptive self defense? You think your neighbor might want to harm you, so you can just stroll up to his porch, ring the doorbell and blow his head off?

Dave
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Anyone recall Bill discussing his brandishing of firearm when he felt threatened?

Yes I do. BTW my name is Bill too.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 AM

Fox News contributor Rod Wheeler a former D.C. homicide detective summed the situation up nicely in this quote:

"The police department in [Sanford, Florida] oppose that law," Wheeler told Fox News host Brian Kilmeade. "What that law is saying in the state of Florida -- and look at the case law -- you can actually shoot a dog. It happens all the time. You can shoot a kill a dog and get arrested and put in jail, but if you kill a kid -- and especially a black kid in Florida -- you can walk away. That's what that law means."

I Bet if Trayvon Martin (the victim) had been white and Zimmerman (the shooter) had been black, Zimmerman would have been shackled in the basement of the police station, in a matter of minutes after the shooting, waiting for the lynch mob to arrive.

I suspect the Feds will go after a civil rights violation. You can't violate an innocent young man's rights of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" much more than by murdering him in cold blood.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post

I recall, and the circumstances were different.

As to the law itself in relation to this particular instance, either it was poorly written or the police didn't do their job.

Chas
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM

BTW, this is why they write laws like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lind-date.html

Should we be outraged about this as well?

Chas
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Loyal Opposition

I heard an interview yesterday morning with a director of a community watch organization in Fla. The shooter came from an organization that was not registered with law enforcement. The director trains watch groups along with law enforcement officials. A couple of the first points in training are to not use firearms and to not follow suspects. More evidence that the guy was on his own power trip. He also is reported to have had a record for having assaulted a police officer. It sounds like his neighborhood would be safer with him behind bars.

Regards,

D-Ray