Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, as much as I'd like to give the Baggers credit for sending home 93% of the EPA, it wouldn't be fair.

Obama and the Democrats can pretty much share the credit equally with the hated Baggers.

It's politics, guys.

Chas
True, but there's a difference between slimeball Machiavellian tactics (Dems, in this instance) and outright insanity/delusion (GOP in this instance). Both parties have had their moments of profound idiocy, but this Teabagger shit takes the cake.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
True, but there's a difference between slimeball Machiavellian tactics (Dems, in this instance) and outright insanity/delusion (GOP in this instance). Both parties have had their moments of profound idiocy, but this Teabagger shit takes the cake.
Personally, I think the Pubbies may have overplayed their hand on this one. Maybe they're banking on raising support from the independents, but IMHO they'll get the blame.

It's all about the next election cycle anyway. And when you get right down to it, they're all going to basically do the same thing.

Our current path is unsustainable, other than to create more money and devalue our currency. And cover our debt with inflated dollars. I just hope they don't clean me out before I die.

It's not that our fearless leaders are corrupt...which they are. It's more like the whole damn system is corrupt.

At least that's my thoughts on the matter.

Chas
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Personally, I think the Pubbies may have overplayed their hand on this one. Maybe they're banking on raising support from the independents, but IMHO they'll get the blame.

It's all about the next election cycle anyway. And when you get right down to it, they're all going to basically do the same thing.

Our current path is unsustainable, other than to create more money and devalue our currency. And cover our debt with inflated dollars. I just hope they don't clean me out before I die.

It's not that our fearless leaders are corrupt...which they are. It's more like the whole damn system is corrupt.

Chas
Chas, maybe you can help me understand a couple of things.

First, do you believe that predictions of severe financial repercussions as a result of the refusal to raise the debt limit are overstated?

How serious, if at all, would be the consequences of failing to increase the debt limit?

Explain this in simple terms, I'm not an economist.

But, if the consequences of missing the debt limit deadline are severe, is it in any way responsible governance to threaten such consequences simply to revisit a battle that has been lost again and again?

If you were in the shoes of the President, would you be willing to negotiate under these circumstances?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Chas
Have you ever been outside of the United States in your life?
I have
this place kicks the shit out of the third world.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

The funny part is that we are the only country that has this silly-ass debt limit yet other countries seem to manage quite well. Maybe it is time to admit that the Framers made a colossal error in letting Congress make their own rules.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I have
Whoopee. Unfortunately, we don't fare so well when compared to other First World nations.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I have
This is what amazes me, Robbin. I spent a week on safari in Kenya. I've seen people who truly live off of the land, completely at the mercy of the weather, disease, famine, rogue animals..............

Now, I have to listen to fat, lazy, tightwad Americans, far wealthier than 3rd world, bitch because they are being told to go get their own healthcare insurance. Oh, they are so oppressed!

It truly is sickening.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The funny part is that we are the only country that has this silly-ass debt limit yet other countries seem to manage quite well. Maybe it is time to admit that the Framers made a colossal error in letting Congress make their own rules.
The debt limit was nothing more than a political gimmick, foisted upon us by insincere vote seeking politicians to begin with. The continuing argument over it is nothing but more of the same.

Dave
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whoopee. Unfortunately, we don't fare so well when compared to other First World nations.
You are right...especially on such issues as health care when compared to Western Europe . However, and I say this only from watching from here since I have not spent anytime in Europe, I think we have much more upward mobility than say in a more rigidly class society, like in England. Or a chance at upward mobility anyhow. In theory.

I think in Britain the rich send their kids to Oxford, and when those kids graduate they run everything. Simplistic, but I heard this theory on the BBC World Service.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You are right...especially on such issues as health care when compared to Western Europe . However, and I say this only from watching from here since I have not spent anytime in Europe, I think we have much more upward mobility than say in a more rigidly class society, like in England. Or a chance at upward mobility anyhow. In theory.

I think in Britain the rich send their kids to Oxford, and when those kids graduate they run everything. Simplistic, but I heard this theory on the BBC World Service.
While the government has allowed the universities over there to increase tuition to a max of £9000 (+- $13,000) a year, poor folks pay much less. So pretty well everyone has a shot at going to Oxford. The Brits seem to feel that a well educated populace is a good thing. Pinkos!

Again, having lived both the US and Canadian health care systems, I'll take the Canadian system anytime.

And the whole class thing ain't what it used to be over there. America isn't that special anymore. Well, paying much more for health care and education is unique.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4