Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Admin

"Here's How You Get Ebola"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...ebola/?hpid=z1

Despite the CNN/PoxNoise fear mongering, it's not that easy to contract the virus in the US/EU or any other First World nation.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM

That's all well and good. Call me crazy but I don't see the harm in being a bit paranoid when it comes to deadly viruses.
I wouldn't continue to live in that apartment complex right now if I could find a place elsewhere. I'm not sure I'd want to eat out in the area. Nor would I really want to go anywhere too close to other people around there. I'd be using hand sanitizer every time I touched a doorknob or public touchscreen, or maybe just put on some rubber gloves. And I think I'd be very conscious about putting my hands to my mouth, eyes, or nose.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Ready

You're not crazy, but you are experiencing the frequent human over-reaction to a novel threat.

Logically, you know perfectly well that your environment is not packed with Ebola virius. In fact, I would bet a large sum that there is not one Ebola virus in Alaska, if there was a taker and a way to settle the bet....
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You're not crazy, but you are experiencing the frequent human over-reaction to a novel threat.

Logically, you know perfectly well that your environment is not packed with Ebola virius. In fact, I would bet a large sum that there is not one Ebola virus in Alaska, if there was a taker and a way to settle the bet....
I'm sure you're probably right.
Did you miss that all my comments were about the North Dallas area, in particular?
Not that it can't happen here. If you remember, it was very unlikely to happen anywhere in the U.S. according to the gov, only a week or so ago.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Ready

Yeah, i wasn't in the right location.

In any case, the third world problem is mainly that they try to treat sick people at home and even hide them. So lots more people get it from dying and dead people. First world medicine isolates victims and cuts off transmission.

Absent end-stage transmission, Ebola is a lousy disease for killing lots of people. The victims are incapacitated too fast. They can't go around spreading it very long.

But by all means keep your hands clean. That's a great idea in any case.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM

How incredibly selfish, self centered was this person to take the chance of infecting others. From the reports I read and heard this is a very contagious terrible illness and this person seen it first hand before returning to the USA. Criminal at first blush....

Barney
Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Yeah, i wasn't in the right location.

In any case, the third world problem is mainly that they try to treat sick people at home and even hide them. So lots more people get it from dying and dead people. First world medicine isolates victims and cuts off transmission.

Absent end-stage transmission, Ebola is a lousy disease for killing lots of people. The victims are incapacitated too fast. They can't go around spreading it very long.

But by all means keep your hands clean. That's a great idea in any case.
Problem is, people don't immediately change their habits just because they travel or migrate to the other side of the planet. It's entirely possible someone will hole up with their family, and the family perform traditional washing/ceremonies on the corpse.
It's also not beyond the realm that a lone wolf extremist, or even a group, might intentionally seek out a method/medium to quickly spread the virus using an aerosol or food contamination.
Admittedly, the casualty numbers would probably not be very impressive, unless of course, if you or a loved one were among the count.

As I said before, I don't see the harm in being a little paranoid about it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
How incredibly selfish, self centered was this person to take the chance of infecting others. From the reports I read and heard this is a very contagious terrible illness and this person seen it first hand before returning to the USA. Criminal at first blush....

Barney
If I heard correctly, I coulda swore he carried an infected woman out of HIS landlords complex. Would that mean he lived there and just came here for a visit? Also, I heard that school aged kids were in direct contact with him here in the states. If that's true then I hope they don't get sick too.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
If I heard correctly, I coulda swore he carried an infected woman out of HIS landlords complex. Would that mean he lived there and just came here for a visit? Also, I heard that school aged kids were in direct contact with him here in the states. If that's true then I hope they don't get sick too.
He lives in Dallas and was visiting family in Liberia where he contracted the disease by carrying a woman (who was infected) to a hospital in Liberia. AFAIK.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
He lives in Dallas and was visiting family in Liberia where he contracted the disease by carrying a woman (who was infected) to a hospital in Liberia. AFAIK.
Probably correct, Bob.

Hope these people didn't/don't contract it though. How could he be so careless?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...y-says-n215976