Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Do you have health insurance mini-me....just answer the question. I asked you or JBS ( i cannot remember which right wing nut) and they never did answer me back.....

Obama is the best President in your short life.....someday you will remember that sentence and say Robbin was right

yeah and I am Icenine in AK too...I already know how to recap a KLH 17 thank you
Actually, yes I do. I took the time to prepare myself for the workplace, went out, looked for a job, and found one. I've been working - thankfully - steadily for many years. In each job I've had, I worked for an employer who offered health care coverage. Don't recall needing Obama for any of that, or Bush or Clinton of Bush Sr. or Reagan or Carter.....

Cool about the KLH 17. I've done a couple of recaps and they turned out OK. However, I once tried my hand at replacing rotted sorrounds on a pair of EPI 100's and made a damn mess of them.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Interesting, though not impossible to see this coming. We've been providing similar counsel to clients who were considering no longer offering health insurance and sending their employees to the exchanges on 1/1/2014.

Employer's are already subsidizing a signficant portion of the monthly medical insurance premium if they offer health care coverage. Once they terminate coverage and their employees go to the exchanges to apply for coverage, its very likely those employees will come back to the boss with the observation that the subsidy available through the exchange is only a fraction of the subsidy that the employer was providing to offset the cost of coverage. Since the subsidy available through the exchanges is going to be means - tested, the size of the subsidy will vary from person to person.

BY the way, if you want to figure out what your exchange subsidy might look like, you can estimate it here:

http://healthreform.kff.org/subsidycalculator.aspx

A subsidy through the exchange is not available to any individual whose employer offers appropriate and affordable (as defiend by health care reform regs) medical coverage, and/or whose income exceeds $93000/yr.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

All this talk about employer provided healthcare neglects one small detail. Once you retire you are on your own. Blue Cross just asked for a 25% increase here in Maryland and we already pay $11,000 a year (including Medicare B).
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
All this talk about employer provided healthcare neglects one small detail. Once you retire you are on your own. Blue Cross just asked for a 25% increase here in Maryland and we already pay $11,000 a year (including Medicare B).
And there's absolutely nothing in Obamacare that will change that reality. In fact, there's plenty in Obamacare that may end up pushing premiums higher for small groups or folks on individual medical policies. Carriers are already holding meetings with insurance brokers nation-wide alerting them to the potential for signficant health premium increases after 1/1/2014 due to features of health care reform that will change how carriers must price their insurance products.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...054496682.html
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Just so the CEO does not have to give up his eight figure salaray and seven figure bonuses. Fortunately here in Maryland they must get approval from the Commissioner.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Actually, yes I do. I took the time to prepare myself for the workplace, went out, looked for a job, and found one. I've been working - thankfully - steadily for many years. In each job I've had, I worked for an employer who offered health care coverage. Don't recall needing Obama for any of that, or Bush or Clinton of Bush Sr. or Reagan or Carter.....

Cool about the KLH 17. I've done a couple of recaps and they turned out OK. However, I once tried my hand at replacing rotted sorrounds on a pair of EPI 100's and made a damn mess of them.
Well good....your premiums may go actually go down if more people have health insurance...the whole point is expanding the pool of insured workers so people like you who have health coverage do not have to subsidize those who do not

sorry about my snarky post I guess we are both about 50...are lives are still not too long I hope to think.....(i mean we're still young at 50 lol)

I think refoaming is more an art than people let on.....sometimes it is better just to let a pro do it. I did some Mach Ones but on one of mine I could not get a voice coil rub out. I also have a pair of EPI M-50s that I have not taken the grilles off yet..they sound fine. If is not broke do not fix it.

Last edited by icenine; 04-25-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

We can only see how it works out once it has been implemented. It may not be perfect but I see people working everday at jobs whose employers do offer health insurance...many do not take it because the premiums are still high. And many employers will purposely not offer full time status just so as to not have to offer health insurance.

You sound like you work at a place that provides good benefits to the workers Whell....
I am sure not everyone in America is as fortunate.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

From what I understand, the requested BC/BS premium hike in MD is limited to those purchasing individual coverage on Obamacare exchanges, not members of group policies through BC/BS.

That notwithstanding, all the inevitable growing pains of Obamacare are inextricably tied to the notion of employer-based health coverage. This wouldn't be happening under a single-payer system. Thanks to the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney for designing the system adopted by Obama.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Well good....your premiums may go actually go down if more people have health insurance...the whole point is expanding the pool of insured workers so people like you who have health coverage do not have to subsidize those who do not
If premiums go down, it won't have anything to do with health care reform. I know that health care reform was sold to the American public based on that falacy. But it's simply not going to happen. Take a look at the Wall Street Journal article that I linked to above. If you don't want to take WSJ's word for it, then do a Google search using the search terms "health care reform, community rating" and see what you get.

Now, couple that with news that moved a couple weeks ago about how the exchanges are not going to be fully implemented by January 1, 2014, and its no wonder why the wizards or smart who passed this crazy health reform law in the first place want to get out from under it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/us...n-delayed.html
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
From what I understand, the requested BC/BS premium hike in MD is limited to those purchasing individual coverage on Obamacare exchanges, not members of group policies through BC/BS.

That notwithstanding, all the inevitable growing pains of Obamacare are inextricably tied to the notion of employer-based health coverage. This wouldn't be happening under a single-payer system. Thanks to the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney for designing the system adopted by Obama.
We are buying individual coverage and there was no mention of where you buy it, just that individual coverage would go up but employer coverage would not. I swear that this country could screw up the Lord's Prayer.