Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Cheaper health insurance at the exchanges?! LOL!! Speaking of the low information voter!
My brother was bitching about the cost of healthcare insurance at the exchanges until he went to checkout prices outside the exhanges, which, according to him, were nearly twice as much. BTW, the only reason he was shopping for healthcare benefits in the first place was because his cheapskate Republican former-employer dumped everyone off of his plan and TOLD THEM to go get their own................... He started looking for another job because one cannot buy insurance from ANYWHERE at $10/hour.

Congratulations. You have just had a glimpse at the future you are helping to build----numbnuts. Thanks for nothing.

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
It's incredible. Modern Republicans have the attention span of the Up mutt.

Squirrel!
No kidding......Geez.

Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
If everything goes to crap most people don't hang around, if they can help it.

Pete
Oh, so self described "True American Job Creaters" run like hell when the going gets rough?

That's what it's always looked like to me.

Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM

His moral compass is demagnetized. Poor zombie.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We should all move to the hood and help by fixing up our house. The crackheads need our car batteries to get by too.

A local bank here built their headquarters in the old town, nice. But no one wants to work there and the fences look great.

Pete
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 PM

All true. And that exposes the trap. Namely that if you move away from existing infrastructure and create a getto then you also have to pay to support the getto. On top of that, given the choice, people would rather live in their newer houses than the gettos they created.

The least expensive solution is to work together so that gettos don't develop in the first place. Once the gettos are there they are a bugger to fix. And expensive.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I've live on the edge of blight quite a few times over the years.

Last time was a neighborhood of post war bungalows, you know the cookie cutter type, the same except the dormer moves around. Well built though.

They were small and people wanted bigger houses. What do you do? It was a nice place to live, in a very old fashioned way, right up to the end. Which btw is when it starts sec 8 renting, sad to say, in my experience. White black green purple no matter.

Back in the 90s I lived in an urban neighborhood undergoing gentrification. Used to say good morning to the crack dealers on the corner

The reason it was depopulated to begin with? The floor plans of the old Victorians first and foremost, my best guess. Little rooms off big rooms, a nice parlor to lay out our deceased family. The horrid teenie lots, the houses piled on top of each other, few garages. Then the building codes back then, well, I don't think they existed. I did a lot of work on that house and it was interesting to say the least. The back windows had been planed down at an amazing angle to seal when shut, and that was just the beginning. Ballon framing and when they came to a window opening the framing just ended, then started again. The whole house was that way.

They taught us back in appraisal class that neighborhoods have life cycles, usually around 100 years but it varies by location.

Plus, where do poor people live?

Pete
Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
All true. And that exposes the trap. Namely that if you move away from existing infrastructure and create a getto then you also have to pay to support the getto. On top of that, given the choice, people would rather live in their newer houses than the gettos they created.

The least expensive solution is to work together so that gettos don't develop in the first place. Once the gettos are there they are a bugger to fix. And expensive.
Oh, so I'm not the only one that sees it?

So, the poor, mostly black people in the ghettos didn't necessarily "do it to themselves"? When the affluent folks bravely packed up, abandoned their homes and scattered like frightened chickens at the sight of the first "negro" in thier neighborhood, (Taking all of the best jobs and therefore the lions share of revenue generation, with them.), they set the stage for urban decline?

You're weird. You have such crazy ideas.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-25-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I've live on the edge of blight quite a few times over the years.

Last time was a neighborhood of post war bungalows, you know the cookie cutter type, the same except the dormer moves around. Well built though.

They were small and people wanted bigger houses. What do you do? It was a nice place to live, in a very old fashioned way, right up to the end. Which btw is when it starts sec 8 renting, sad to say, in my experience. White black green purple no matter.

Back in the 90s I lived in an urban neighborhood undergoing gentrification. Used to say good morning to the crack dealers on the corner

The reason it was depopulated to begin with? The floor plans of the old Victorians first and foremost, my best guess. Little rooms off big rooms, a nice parlor to lay out our deceased family. The horrid teenie lots, the houses piled on top of each other, few garages. Then the building codes back then, well, I don't think they existed. I did a lot of work on that house and it was interesting to say the least. The back windows had been planed down at an amazing angle to seal when shut, and that was just the beginning. Ballon framing and when they came to a window opening the framing just ended, then started again. The whole house was that way.

They taught us back in appraisal class that neighborhoods have life cycles, usually around 100 years but it varies by location.

Plus, where do poor people live?

Pete
Right. It was the "floor plans" of the Victorian homes. It had nothing to do with the Fair Housing Act and "white flight" at all?

Hoo, BOY.

Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I dunno Dave, the bungalow neighborhood I mentioned, a Cleveland family 'moved on up' into a house 2 doors down from me.

White people! Yes they do exist in the hood 'Panics and Asians too...

I'll never forget, one of the boys must've slipped or something and yelled F*CK! outside (on a nice summer day), the father came out and (I assume) attempting to be a good suburban father screamed at him: Shut your g*dd*mn mouth! Don't you talk that f'ing way! This isn't g*dd*mn Cleveland!

Even now years later it cracks me up thinking about it. I bet a lot of my neighbors didn't find it funny though.

Pete