Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Guys, I still maintain that the guy moved back home to MI and set up residency here.

Also, I guess I'm the only one who sees something wrong with preferential treatment for illegal aliens and their family members but not for veterans.

You hang around in internet forums and then blame ME for wasting your time?!?!
I don't see any preferential treatment for aliens, nor abuse of veterans taking place. He was not denied access to education so an illegal could take his seat, that's absurd. And I believe the assertion, (Like so many others I see these days.), is a stretch at best. If anything, he is now being given an exception, because of his veteran status, that no one else will get. Forthermore, it is a bit of false equivalence to say that veterans are being "bumped" in favor of illegals, because MI did this and CO did that. MI and CO are not the same place.

As I understand it all he had to do was be a resident of Michigan for three consecutive years after returning to qualify for in-state. Which as I pointed out, is nothing new or uncommon. And that this rule applies (Applied?) to everyone equally. Or at least it used to. So, I also don't get where you claim this veteran was treated unfairly in any way. To reiterate; If anything he is receiving preferential treatment now, due to his bitching, that no one got before.

Good Day to you, Sir.

Dave
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Michigan is where he grew up, he graduated from Dearborn High School in Dearborn MI. where he left from to join the service. Then he came home to Michigan. Either you guys are reading something into the story that's not there, or I'm missing something. But I'm pretty sure its the former.

Now compare his treatment to the folks in the State of CO who think that college tuition should be discounted to the families of those who came here illegally. Its screwed up.

What state did he pay income taxes to when in the service. You pay taxes to the state you reside in correct? If any other then MI. then he is a non resident and maybe a cry baby.

Wait does FLA even have a state tax?

Barney
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
What state did he pay income taxes to when in the service. You pay taxes to the state you reside in correct? If any other then MI. then he is a non resident and maybe a cry baby.

Wait does FLA even have a state tax?

Barney
AFAIK no. But their sales tax is something like 11-12%.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM

So was he a FLA resident the time in the Navy? If so the state tax or lack there of might be the key.

Barney
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 PM

I was in for a long time. Many,many people would put down Florida or Texas just to avoid paying state taxes....I even saw highly paid officers do this. People would do this even if they were not stationed in the state or had ever been there....they would just go to personnel and have a Disbursing Clerk or Personnelman change their home state...bingo you are off the hook for paying taxes. Until you get out...then you pay the normal taxes of the state you start to work as a civilian in.

now the wholesale state income tax avoidance thing is harder to do today...your home of record has to be in that state or you have to be stationed there...but once you leave the state you do not have to switch back you can keep Texas or Florida as long as you want. This dude in Florida joined the Navy there and he most assuredly used Florida as his home state just to make more money.

I do not feel sorry for him in the least.

Last edited by icenine; 03-09-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't see any preferential treatment for aliens, nor abuse of veterans taking place. He was not denied access to education so an illegal could take his seat, that's absurd. And I believe the assertion, (Like so many others I see these days.), is a stretch at best. If anything, he is now being given an exception, because of his veteran status, that no one else will get. Forthermore, it is a bit of false equivalence to say that veterans are being "bumped" in favor of illegals, because MI did this and CO did that. MI and CO are not the same place.

As I understand it all he had to do was be a resident of Michigan for three consecutive years after returning to qualify for in-state. Which as I pointed out, is nothing new or uncommon. And that this rule applies (Applied?) to everyone equally. Or at least it used to. So, I also don't get where you claim this veteran was treated unfairly in any way. To reiterate; If anything he is receiving preferential treatment now, due to his bitching, that no one got before.

Good Day to you, Sir.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I was in for a long time. Many,many people would put down Florida or Texas just to avoid paying state taxes....I even saw highly paid officers do this. People would do this even if they were not stationed in the state or had ever been there....they would just go to personnel and have a Disbursing Clerk or Personnelman change their home state...bingo you are off the hook for paying taxes. Until you get out...then you pay the normal taxes of the state you start to work as a civilian in.

now the wholesale state income tax avoidance thing is harder to do today...your home of record has to be in that state or you have to be stationed there...but once you leave the state you do not have to switch back you can keep Texas or Florida as long as you want. This dude in Florida joined the Navy there and he most assuredly used Florida as his home state just to make more money.

Thanks, Finn, Dave and Robbin for clearing it up.

That's 3-zip, mini.
Since you advised me to read some Robert Reich who IIRC has since changed his tune...here's something for you to read, mini. Scroll through them... https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

I personally knew several officers in Europe (where I was a Dep't. of Army Civilian for 8 years) who selected Texas as their home state of record by virtue of having been in training for a month in San Antonio. This was done specifically for the purpose of avoiding state taxes while living overseas.

For that matter, when I left New Orleans to move to Germany, I had no intent of moving back to Louisiana and I claimed no state of residency and paid no state income taxes (though I paid Federal). This is common practice among Army personnel and civilians overseas. I had no expectation of receiving any Louisiana state benefits had I changed my mind and moved back to Louisiana. However, they would have been within their rights to have demanded back taxes plus interest had I moved back there, whether I chose to avail myself of benefits or not.

This guy from Michigan was simply trying to take advantage of living state tax free while overseas (which I also did) and then trying to parlay his way into in-state tuition by virtue of his veteran's status (which I didn't). He played his cards and should have to live with his decision without trying to use his veteran's status to pull at our heartstrings.

Last edited by finnbow; 03-09-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I personally knew several officers in Europe (where I was a Dep't. of Army Civilian for 8 years) who selected Texas as their home state of record by virtue of having been in training for a month in San Antonio. This was done specifically for the purpose of avoiding state taxes while living overseas.

For that matter, when I left New Orleans to move Germany, I had no intent of moving back to Louisiana and I claimed no state of residency and paid no state income taxes (though I paid Federal). This is common practice among Army personnel and civilians overseas. I had no expectation of receiving any Louisiana state benefits had I changed my mind and moved back to Louisiana. However, they would have been within their rights to have demanded back taxes plus interest had I moved back there, whether I chose to avail myself of benefits or not.

This guy from Michigan was simply trying to take full advantage of living state tax free while overseas (which I also did) and then trying to parlay his way into in-state tuition by virtue of his veteran's status (that I didn't). He played his cards and should have to live with his decision.
yes that is the thing...if you decide to ditch your home state so as to pay no taxes then do not expect any privileges from said state...

I switched to California simply because I bought a house here and wanted to use the CA VA benefits when I got out. Besides Ohio was wanting a slice of my wife's income even though she has never been there (if you file jointly federal you must file jointly in the state of Ohio so they were counting my wife's CA income as well as mine). I just did not feel like doing three income tax returns.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
This maybe a little off topic, but as a sidenote;

Although I agree with the point you are making to some extent, as a veteran I'm getting a little tired of "the troops" being used to push a political agenda. As you can see by the membership here and in reading this article, not all military or ex-military folks are righties.

That being said I am also tired of fellow veterans who have taken to demanding gratitude from their fellow citizens. Many of us who pay for veterans benefits don't receive anything similar themselves by a very wide margin. But, most of them pay out of gratitude, gladly and willingly. Get demanding about it and watch that gratitude dry up.

Dave
Solid stuff of which I agree.

It's a volunteer army of well compensated members.

That should be enough, I don't owe idol worship.