Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
I'm not sure that would do the trick. Sophisticated hackers can route their attacks circuitously through networks world wide, so that the attack can appear to be coming from anywhere.
Try this, next e-mail highlight it and go to the menu bar FILE drop down and select PROPERTIES, or just hit ALT+ENTER
Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
All they have to do is bide their time and not screw anything up.

Pete
Rising powers usually screw up by wanting to, settle old scores, address perceived injustice or slight.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Try this, next e-mail highlight it and go to the menu bar FILE drop down and select PROPERTIES, or just hit ALT+ENTER
Understood. But can't email headers be spoofed? Also, Iran still can't confirm where Stuxnet actually came from.

Last edited by mini me; 02-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Understood. But can't email headers be spoofed? Also, Iran still can't confirm where Stuxnet actually came from.
Not unless you own the first portal.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
One thing I saw forecast the Chinese economy twice the size of the USs by 2050, and that was before the crash. (India btw 'will' be the same size as us by then)

China: Trillions in hard cash on hand
USA/The West: Trillions in debt

China: Eight Hundred Kazillion people doubling every 5 minutes
USA/The West: 1.2 billion? Give of take some Hispanic/Middle Eastern folks

They're starting to do their own engineering too. All they have to do is bide their time and not screw anything up.

Pete
And we get to thank big American, and Japanese, business for this. In an effort to make this quarter look good, they have given them anything they ask for.

I must say I am proud of GM. When they were looking at building Volts in China, Chicoms demanded the secrets to the Voltec system that runs it (aside from the US, pretty well everyone else in the world sees the Volt as a technological tour de force and the future of the electric automobile. Especially the competing manufacturers) before they allowed GM to sell them in China. GM rightfully told them to go pound salt, and now Volt sales in China are almost non-existant.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I still believe it's ultimately the consumers fault.

Wonder if China's hackers have the Volt info yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Rising powers usually screw up by wanting to, settle old scores, address perceived injustice or slight.
Nice to think that China might act nicely but agreed it's an issue and we'd be foolish to act on it. They also have a sucession problem, and I've heard that the Han believes in racial superiority.

All bow to the Middle Kingdom?

Pete
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I still believe it's ultimately the consumers fault.

Pete
There is truth to that, but the race to the bottom began with the outsourcing of jobs. American manufacturers pretty well forced the consumer to buy cheaper and cheaper garbage, as they cut the well paying jobs. Or at least scared people into believing the good jobs were going away. While they might celebrate the good quarterly numbers, they forget that the people they replaced with cheap foreign labor were also their customers.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

FWIW, we are far more advanced in cyberwarfare tactics than are the Chinese, as are the Russians and, Israelis. I've read that the Chinese are about fifth on the list when it comes to cyberwarfare capabilities.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
There is truth to that, but the race to the bottom began with the outsourcing of jobs. American manufacturers pretty well forced the consumer to buy cheaper and cheaper garbage, as they cut the well paying jobs. Or at least scared people into believing the good jobs were going away. While they might celebrate the good quarterly numbers, they forget that the people they replaced with cheap foreign labor were also their customers.
Given that those same customers provide 70& of the economy that was a rather brilliant move, no?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
FWIW, we are far more advanced in cyberwarfare tactics than are the Chinese, as are the Russians and, Israelis. I've read that the Chinese are about fifth on the list when it comes to cyberwarfare capabilities.
Capabilities are one thing. Leveraging those capabilities and executing the sheer volume of attacks that the Chinese are doing seems to be another matter.