Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM

Cyber wars

This is some scary sh!t.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...perts-say?lite

Screw building new aircraft carriers. If this is where our enemies are focusing their efforts, we need to be building impenetrable computer firewalls around the systems that control infrastructure and sensitive information.

Take all those unemployed folks, and teach them to be hackers. Then turn them loose on our key systems and let them find all the places we're vulnerable. Then, once we've got all of our own holes plugged, we can turn them loose on the Chinese and Iranians!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post

Take all those unemployed folks, and teach them to be hackers. Then turn them loose on our key systems and let them find all the places we're vulnerable. Then, once we've got all of our own holes plugged, we can turn them loose on the Chinese and Iranians!
They're too busy playing Grand Theft Auto, Deep Space, Call of Duty, etc. and trying to hack those games.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

This is interesting:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ralph_langn...berweapon.html

And here's an argument to use convicted hackers:

http://www.ted.com/talks/misha_glenn...e_hackers.html

Pete
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM

That's a very interesting talk on Stuxnet. Kind of scary now that the Stuxnet virus is out "in the wild" that someone might be able to take it and modify it for their own purposes.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

All we need to do is program our routers to simply toss any message aimed at a government site that has originated in China, Iran or Russia.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
All we need to do is program our routers to simply toss any message aimed at a government site that has originated in China, Iran or Russia.
Or better yet, set up dummy sites with mis-information they can hack at.
They then act on the bogus data, and we get to study their hacking methods.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
This is some scary sh!t.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...perts-say?lite

Screw building new aircraft carriers. If this is where our enemies are focusing their efforts, we need to be building impenetrable computer firewalls around the systems that control infrastructure and sensitive information.

Agreed. You cannot fight a 21st century enemy with 20th Century tools. It's as foolish as trying to fight globally scattered terrorist cells with a mechanized army attacking a singular nation.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I'm not sure that would do the trick. Sophisticated hackers can route their attacks circuitously through networks world wide, so that the attack can appear to be coming from anywhere.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Jigsawed

The Chinese see us as their number one potential enemy. Of course they want the return of Taiwan/Formosa and also want to dominate their neighborhood. Only we are in their way. Should there be a war we have a huge advantage in equipment. However the playing field or rather the war field can be leveled if they are ahead in the cyber world.

So they are practising.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

One thing I saw forecast the Chinese economy twice the size of the USs by 2050, and that was before the crash. (India btw 'will' be the same size as us by then)

China: Trillions in hard cash on hand
USA/The West: Trillions in debt

China: Eight Hundred Kazillion people doubling every 5 minutes
USA/The West: 1.2 billion? Give of take some Hispanic/Middle Eastern folks

They're starting to do their own engineering too. All they have to do is bide their time and not screw anything up.

Pete