Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I thought that trick belonged to televangelists.

In terms of the OP, I would suggest that "protect their own" should not have been in quotations, unless I missed where that was part of her actual statement. That being said, she could hardly have picked a less popular cause than protecting congressional salaries. I would see that as an example of Washingtonitis. Even if there are theoretical reasons for maintaining high salaries for those with the reins of the country, it is almost impossible to say it in a politically palatable way.

Regards,

D-Ray
Hey, stop being so reasonable.

Pete
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Hey, stop being so reasonable.

Pete
Hold it! If you think that it was reasonable, I might have to re-think here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM

ENGLISH HISTORY LESSON COMING :

Decent payment for members of Parliament was deemed necessary so as to allow those without means to survive in office if elected. It was seen as a reform so that not just the rich could be in Parliament.

Applies today but of course there are cases of corruption (Bell California). Now that being said you bascially have to be a millionaire to run for Congress.........but not paying them would 100 percent guarantee that only the uberrich would ever make it.

Now a very poor candidate or average shmuck with a 9-5 job who had a wealthy collection of donors with a superpac behind them conceivably could be elected if you were to try it...............interesting concept.

but I digress
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I thought they made their real money insider trading?

Pete
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM

I understand the theory behind paying our legislators decent wages, however, as a gov employee who has seen her paycheck decrease by $200 a month due to the budget , I can't help but feel that the legislators, (who helped create the budget mess), should share the patriotic duty of taking a hit in the pocketbook.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I thought they made their real money insider trading?

Pete
that....

and from what I have heard they spend about 4 hours a day on the phone raising money from constituents and backers.....that is normal for them.
That is one reason why the votes did to occur late in the evening I think....but that is just speculation on my part
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I understand the theory behind paying our legislators decent wages, however, as a gov employee who has seen her paycheck decrease by $200 a month due to the budget , I can't help but feel that the legislators, (who helped create the budget mess), should share the patriotic duty of taking a hit in the pocketbook.
Are you Federal Barbara?

I have had a pay freeze but no actual cut.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Your memory is as flawed as your characterization of Pelosi's remarks.
So how would you characterize her remarks? I think I got it pretty accurate, but maybe you can help me out.

And you can take issue with my memory all you want. My wife does it all the time, like on our last wedding anniversary.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
True that. Most of our elected Representatives don't enter the House or Senators as millionaires, but a fair number of them leave that way.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
ENGLISH HISTORY LESSON COMING :

Now a very poor candidate or average shmuck with a 9-5 job who had a wealthy collection of donors with a superpac behind them conceivably could be elected if you were to try it...............interesting concept.

but I digress
Like maybe a tea party type?