Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM

What a stupid thing to say...

Pelosi does have a gift for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Here we are, still mired at almost 8% unemployment, and a whole lot of people "under-employed", and she's got to open her yap and suggest that she and her piers need to "protect their own" at the taxpayer's expense.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/28...ty-of-the-job-

She's making over $190K / year, and rank and file House members are making nearly $175K / year. With the median US income around $50K / year, that's more than 3X what the average American brings home. I think we can all agree that if you're looking for the sharpest knives in the drawer, you likely wouldn't start your search in the US House of Representatives.

I think their income should be on the table with the sequester just like everyone else's. If they want to do something noble, and "preserve the dignity of their jobs", they can all take a hit and use those funds to keep their staffers salaries whole against any pay cuts required by the sequester.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini me View Post
Pelosi does have a gift for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Here we are, still mired at almost 8% unemployment, and a whole lot of people "under-employed", and she's got to open her yap and suggest that she and her piers need to "protect their own" at the taxpayer's expense.
Ah, yes! Nothing like an honest and objective interpretation of Rep. Pelosi's comments to start things off.

Oh, and it's peers.

John
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Good gravy she is good at putting her foot in it.

Pete
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Area Man

See how rich people are? And YOU want to give them tax cuts..............

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Area Man

If it were a corporate CEO getting a FAT bonus after offshoring work or cutting worker pay/benefits domestically you would be defending his actions. So, just shut your pie hole.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Ah, yes! Nothing like an honest and objective interpretation of Rep. Pelosi's comments to start things off.

John
Sorry if my comments don't sit well with you, but I never held myself out as objective on any topic I post. Last I checked, this forum was billed as a place for folks to post their political opinions. Or do you regard your own posts as fact and everyone else's as opinion?

Now, assuming your comments were sarcastic (and if memory serves, you've posted your objections to the use of sarcasm in posts on this forum) what's dishonest about it?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If it were a corporate CEO getting a FAT bonus after offshoring work or cutting worker pay/benefits domestically you would be defending his actions. So, just shut your pie hole.

Regards,
Dave
LOL! I'd only object if it were one of those "green energy" companies that pay out employee bonuses or put gold plated toilet paper dispensers in the lavatories on the taxpayer's dime.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry if my comments don't sit well with you, but I never held myself out as objective on any topic I post. Last I checked, this forum was billed as a place for folks to post their political opinions. Or do you regard your own posts as fact and everyone else's as opinion?

Now, assuming your comments were sarcastic (and if memory serves, you've posted your objections to the use of sarcasm in posts on this forum) what's dishonest about it?
Your memory is as flawed as your characterization of Pelosi's remarks.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
LOL! I'd only object if it were one of those "green energy" companies that pay out employee bonuses or put gold plated toilet paper dispensers in the lavatories on the taxpayer's dime.
I thought that trick belonged to televangelists.

In terms of the OP, I would suggest that "protect their own" should not have been in quotations, unless I missed where that was part of her actual statement. That being said, she could hardly have picked a less popular cause than protecting congressional salaries. I would see that as an example of Washingtonitis. Even if there are theoretical reasons for maintaining high salaries for those with the reins of the country, it is almost impossible to say it in a politically palatable way.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Yes, the "protect their own" was not part of any Pelosi quote. Not sure why I put it in quotes now that I think about it.