Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM

You've got to be kidding me...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0AZOO620130131

So what are the bureaucrats going to learn in another 6 months that they don't know now? I thought this was the administration that was going to get rid of red tape? Since when is energy independence from the middle east, especially with tensions rising over there by the day, not in the national interest?

What a bunch of ham-strung, hen-pecked maroons!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Area Man

Yes, we should make everything happen the way it does in the movies................
Regards,
Dave
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM

I hope that pipeline never gets built. The environmental downside would be too great even if the oil transported would be for US consumption. There is, however, a reason why the plan is to pipe it to the Gulf.

John
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Loyal Opposition

When something brings in the potential for devastating effects on the environment, sober reflection seems to me to be the proper course. We need to think long and hard before further damaging this planet we are borrowing.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Here's some facts to consider

Quote:
The Keystone XL Pipeline: Oil for Export, Not for U.S. Energy Security

Industry Documents Reveal Scheme to Reach Lucrative Markets Abroad

Download the full report.

In pushing for the Obama Administration’s approval of TransCanada’s proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline, the North American oil industry and its political patrons argue that the pipeline is necessary for American energy security and its construction will help wean America of dependence on Mideast oil. But a closer look at the new realities of the global oil market and at the companies who will profit from the pipeline reveals a completely different story: Keystone XL will not lessen U.S. dependence on foreign oil, but rather transport Canadian oil to American refineries for export to overseas markets.

A new report from Oil Change International lays out the case, based on data and documents from the U.S. Energy Information Administration and the Canadian National Energy Board, corporate disclosures to regulators and investors, and analysis of the rapidly shifting oil market.

The facts:

Keystone XL is an export pipeline. The Port Arthur, Texas, refiners at the end of its route are focused on expanding exports to Europe, and Latin America. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline’s heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers’ tanks.

Valero, the key customer for crude oil from Keystone XL, has explicitly detailed an export strategy to its investors. Because Valero’s Port Arthur refinery is in a Foreign Trade Zone, the company can carry out its strategy tax-free.

In a shrinking U.S. market, Keystone XL is not needed. Since the project was announced, the oil industry acknowledges that higher fuel economy standards and slow economic growth mean declining U.S. oil demand, even as domestic production is booming. Oil from Keystone XL will therefore displace American crude from new, “unconventional” domestic fields in Texas or North Dakota.

“To issue a presidential permit for the Keystone XL, the Administration must find that the pipeline serves the national interest,” said Stephen Kretzmann, executive director of Oil Change International. “An honest assessment shows that rather than serving U.S. interests, Keystone XL serves only the interests of tar sands producers and shippers, and a few Gulf Coast refiners aiming to export the oil.”

Valero has contracted to take at least 100,000 barrels of tar sands crude a day from Keystone XL until 2030. It’s publicly disclosed business model relies on refining heavy sour crude for export. It is upgrading its Port Arthur refinery to process heavy sour into diesel fuel. Its investor presentations clearly show it plans to ship diesel to Latin America and Europe.
http://priceofoil.org/2011/08/31/rep...ne-xl-exposed/

Carl
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM

I like this, 2nd in generating power from wind.

Quote:
Consider this:

Last week in Chattanooga, Tennessee a massive solar power facility comprising of over 33,600 individual solar modules capable of producing 13.1 gigawatt hours of electricity every year was turned on. It’s big enough to power 1,200 homes, but will be used to power a Volkswagen manufacturing plant. And it’s the biggest solar installation ever built in the state of Tennessee.

This solar farm was built by an American company, Silicon Ranch. No Canadian tar oil necessary.

So, instead of letting foreign companies build terrorist-target oil pipelines across our entire country, shouldn’t we be supporting homegrown companies that could make America the worldwide leader in renewable energy?

Another "for-example": Did you know that the United States just passed Germany as the number-two country in the world when it comes to producing wind power? Did you know that the largest wind farm in the world, the Alta Wind Energy Center, is located right here in the United States in Kern County, California?

The Department of Energy estimates that 20 percent of our national energy could be produced by wind come 2030. But that’s only if our government embraces wind power with the same enthusiasm that we embrace Canada’s tar sands oil.

It’s a no-brainer. And it’s what the rest of the world is doing, too.

The world is rushing toward clean energy, from the 1.3 million solar power systems currently online in Germany producing 28 billion kilowatts of energy annually, to the London Array off-shore wind farm (the largest of its kind), producing 630 enough electricity to power more than 470,000 homes.

So given all of this, tell me again why we're building the Keystone XL pipeline? Why, with all this potential for clean and renewable energy, are we arresting Americans for trespassing on their own property? It sure looks like it's just so a foreign corporation can get rid of their toxic oil, and a handful of billionaires in Texas can make big profits refining and exporting it.
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...about-keystone

Carl
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 PM

If you think that pipeline will make the cost of gasoline cheaper here in America,I've got news,it ain't gonna happen.We get the mess,the oil co.s the cash.Same ol' same ol'.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Truth Out and Price Foil, huh? I guess quoting those two sources would make it fair game to quote the National Review here too?

No offense, but we could probably produce more reliable wind power by collecting that consistent methane breeze from the asses of cattle. Wind power is, maybe, a great idea in certain parts of the country. But power grids need predictable, constant and consistent sources of electrical generation.

Besides, wind power won't make my car run unless I stick a sail on it. Here in Michigan where I'm from, the winds are inconsistent and unpredictable. As far as solar, once winter hits in Michigan, a sunny day is a relative rarity. And the NRC make sure that they shut our nuke plants down almost as regularly as clockwork.

As of Feb 2, 2013, the only reliable source of energy to run our vehicles is gasoline from oil, and the only thing that going to generate enough electricity to keep the lights on and the water running is coal-fired power plants.

Last edited by mini me; 02-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM

How about we make a giant treadmill power generator and force Californians
and other liberals to "walk" us up some power and earn their keep. Help pay
for the food stamps these freaks are using up. It would improve the health,
drug and immigration problem all in one shot.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax99 View Post
If you think that pipeline will make the cost of gasoline cheaper here in America,I've got news,it ain't gonna happen.We get the mess,the oil co.s the cash.Same ol' same ol'.
Oil is a commodity, and the price responds to the laws of supply and demand just like any other commodity.