Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM

I had a 1990 4Runner-I'd heard about how GREAT "Toys" were, so I got me one. Fit & finish-Yeah, pretty good. Mechanically, good. Power-Even w/the V-6, pretty lacking. Construction-VERY light-duty. Even though it had BIG tyres, the actual suspension components were, I thought, rinky-dink, & if I'd ever really tried any serious off-roading, I would have been walking soon. Overall, I was somewhat LESS than impressed. Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.

Might be true Sandy but winning the battle of perception is a big step on the way to winning the war.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Area Man

"Funny how many Americans are so quick to diss the few products we do make here. Its as if they enjoy calling themselves inferior as a people?"

My all time favorite;

"American workers are lazy and overpaid."

To which I always respond; "And what are you, dumbass?"

Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I had a 1990 4Runner-I'd heard about how GREAT "Toys" were, so I got me one. Fit & finish-Yeah, pretty good. Mechanically, good. Power-Even w/the V-6, pretty lacking. Construction-VERY light-duty. Even though it had BIG tyres, the actual suspension components were, I thought, rinky-dink, & if I'd ever really tried any serious off-roading, I would have been walking soon. Overall, I was somewhat LESS than impressed. Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.

I am very familar with toyota's trucks. I understand your comments about power but have to say these were not designed to be muscle cars. In 1990 even the American made trucks were not pushing the HP they currently are. That trend did not start till several years later.

Toyota trucks with the 22R 4 banger are like roaches. You cannot kill them.

The suspensions on these trucks were pretty good too. I think you were just used to seeing "fullsize" components but this was a mini to mid size at best. Though not a fan of IFS, toyotas was not bad. Just costly if you wanted to upgrade to aftermarket.

Course this is just my 2 cents which means jack squat since you were the one who did not like it.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Toyota trucks with the 22R 4 banger are like roaches. You cannot kill them.
That is the truth. I even know a guy who autocrosses an old Toyota truck with a 20R.

We have a 1998 4Runner and it's a tank. I'm not an "off-roader" but we take it on trails and such. Can't kill the thing. It's literally like new at about 130,000 miles. Interior materials were selected to last. I've driven a lot of high mileage cars, but never one with an interior that's held up as well as the car. It's a fantastic vehicle, but I just hate SUVs. It's my wife's car. She drives it 4 miles a day each way to work, so I don't even car about the gas mileage that much.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM

My Foreplay-Mebbe it was just mine, but it just seemed like it was too much vehicle for the engine...It shifted back & forth constantly. Mileage was not that great, seems like it was only 15 or so on the hiway. And as big as it was, there wasn't a lot of room inside. I dunno; I'm used to big American trucks...I had an '82 K25 Suburban, & now, The Mighty Valdez...ANYTHING would seem like "Tinker-Toys" by comparison.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM

Ours is a V6. On the highway during a vacation a year or so ago I was able to get 31 MPG, but I was hypermiling to the hilt-we did about 58 mph max.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Ours is a V6. On the highway during a vacation a year or so ago I was able to get 31 MPG, but I was hypermiling to the hilt-we did about 58 mph max.
Well, my Chevy 3500 gets 12 MPG. Unloaded, or a little less crossing the scales at 16,ooo GVW.

But that's what I bought it for. I'd love to have something more thrifty, provided it would gross at 16,ooo.

BTW, I'm licensed at 18,000, and I am not required to wear a seat belt.

Least here in Bugtussell.

Chas
Old 01-08-2010, 07:03 PM

12 MPG. Ouch. That'll put a hit in the wallet.

I don't know a lot about big trucks, but wouldn't a diesel do better?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
12 MPG. Ouch. That'll put a hit in the wallet.

I don't know a lot about big trucks, but wouldn't a diesel do better?
Yeah, a diesel would do better, but I don't like the noisy SOB's.

Chas