Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

There are 26 "full democracies" on the planet, along with 53 "flawed democracies." Of the 26 full democracies, we rank 17 on the Democracy Index. Of all the nations in the world, approximately 1/2 are either full or flawed democracies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democra...#2010_rankings
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Depends on whose numbers you use and how you class asylum seekers/immigrants. I have little faith in the UN numbers.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...ber-immigrants

The Russians would not have been able to defeat Germany without US material help and without a Western Front. Britain would have been isolated and the Continent controlled by Germany. Germany's invaion of Russia was a mistake of arrogance. And yes, the Russian fought hard protecting their motherland. Consider the scientific might of Germany if Hitler hadn't alienated the Jewish population.
282K people immigrated to Somalia?

Wonder what shit hole country they came from?

Chas

BTW Pete, this is another rhetorical question...but I am curious as to the answer.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
There are 26 "full democracies" on the planet, along with 53 "flawed democracies." Of the 26 full democracies, we rank 17 on the Democracy Index. Of all the nations in the world, approximately 1/2 are either full or flawed democracies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democra...#2010_rankings
Not surprising that the Westminster model dominates. Also, note how many have homogeneous populations that rank near the top. From the numbers only 15.6% of countries and 12.3% of people are under full democracies. Democracy remains an exception. Fifty percent of people are still under hybrids or authoritarian regimes. Democracy has made headway of late; but is not the norm even today. We tend to think of democracy as the positive norm, but a perusal of history demonstrates that democracy is not.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Just what do you think is the motivation behind the GOP's litmus test of fealty to the notion of American exceptionalism anyway? Any sort of intelligent discussion of the notion (rather than the required jingoistic "we're number 1" fist-pumping) is somehow unacceptable in their eyes.

My theory: Blind acceptance of American exceptionalism somehow trumps the discussion of improvements needed in our country (something the GOP seems to oppose out of principle.) Or maybe it's just a manifestation of personal insecurity - kind of a "my daddy can beat up your daddy" thing.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-21-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas

BTW Pete, this is another rhetorical question...but I am curious as to the answer.
Probably Rwanda. It's better to starve than be hacked, I guess.

Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I just got back from the sink, shame that was a damn nice sandwich.

Hitler figured Russia to be a pushover. Sent his troops in in summer gear with few supplies, The Russins did their 'scorched earth' thing and dragged it on until winter, then they attacked. Poor German sodiers were damn near starved and frozen to death, they did not have a snowballs chance in hell. And please remember I lived through that damn war so please don't tell me how it played out.
The Soviets were completely brutal toward the Germans. I remember reading somewhere that a Soviet Commander told his men, "If it has a heartbeat kill it, men, women, and children to.---Remember, little Nazis grow up to become big Nazis. If you should encounter a feral dog eating garbage, shoot the Nazi bastard.", as they crossed into Germany.

Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

Maybe we should list the exceptions, such as;

40 million people with no healthcare insurance

Over 60 % of personal bankruptcies are due to medical expencses

12% below the poverty line and climbing

Investment swindlers near bankrupt the country and get bonuses - from the taxpayer

Working class wages stagnant since 1980

Moribund political system

Feel free to add to the list
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

Working class wages stagnant since 1980
yeah but in all fairness the wealth have had an exceptional run since then
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I read - a lot. My dad remembers ww2, he doesn't know everything that went on.

I'm not besmerching the Russian soldier. They fought with bravery.

But if Schicklegruber would've stuck to his timetable the result would probably have been different. If many things. If Great Britain had fallen previously, it would've had no effect? What say you?

If I get a chance, I'll look up how many troops Germany had in the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas

Dang, I was hoping it was another setup

Obviously, they are leaving the horrid USA for a better life!

Pete

Pete
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

The only problem with reading about some historical event is who wrote the book? Did he/she have any bias? Also remember that history books tend to be written by the victor. By the time Hitler thought of invading Britain the RAF had taken over the skies. Comment by a German ace when Goering asked him if he could get them anything was "Yes, some Spitfires".

Then there was the British ace who was addressing a ladies tea club and he was describing a dog fight and how they dealt with the fokkers. The president of the club hastened to tell the ladies that Fokker was a german aircraft (actuall Tony Fokker was Dutch). The ace said "yes but these fokkers were Messerschidts".

Last edited by merrylander; 02-22-2011 at 08:23 AM.