Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Admin

GOP's AHCA aka Trump-RyanCare

"After weeks of expectations — actually, nearly seven years of expectations — House Republicans on Monday released their proposal to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Elements of the proposal, which was kept under lock and key last week — have been dribbling out for a few days. The text of the bill encompassing the GOP plan validates much of that reporting. On the whole, however, it’s a nastier, more consumer-unfriendly proposal than even close followers could have expected.

The House GOP, in a written statement, cloaked this plan with a bodyguard of outright deceit. “What we’re proposing will deliver the control and choice individuals and families need to access healthcare that’s right for them,” the statement said. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wisc.) said the measure would “drive down costs, encourage competition and give every American access to quality, affordable health insurance.” Curiously, the GOP statement says the plan embodies “President Trump's proposed healthcare reforms,” although the president has never advanced a coherent set of proposals.

The truth is that the GOP measure would destroy the ability of millions of Americans to access any healthcare worth the name. The Congressional Budget Office reportedly warned the Republicans that their proposals would lead to lost coverage for millions and higher costs for millions more, but the GOP is pushing ahead anyway. The truth is that the GOP measure would destroy the ability of millions of Americans to access any healthcare worth the name. The Congressional Budget Office reportedly warned the Republicans that their proposals would lead to lost coverage for millions and higher costs for millions more, but the GOP is pushing ahead anyway.

Reporters and experts will be poring over the new draft for days, but here are some key elements gleaned from a first reading. Further examination undoubtedly will unearth more issues with the bill. The chances are almost nil that closer examination will find much, if anything, good about it.

The proposal defunds Planned Parenthood. No federal funding can be made, either directly or indirectly, by Medicaid to a healthcare organization that “provides for abortions,” other than those done in cases of rape or incest or to save the life of the mother. That’s Planned Parenthood. It’s proper to note that Planned Parenthood doesn’t use federal funds to pay for abortions, as that’s already against the law. This measure shuts down funding for the organization just because it uses other funds to cover those procedures."
LA Times

continued here
http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...306-story.html
Old 03-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Admin

"Concealed within the 123 pages of legislative verbiage and dense boilerplate of the House Republican bill repealing the Affordable Care Act are not a few hard-to-find nuggets. Here’s one crying out for exposure: The bill encourages health insurance companies to pay their top executives more.

It does so by removing the ACA’s limit on corporate tax deductions for executive pay. The cost to the American taxpayer of eliminating this provision: well in excess of $70 million a year. In the reckoning of the Institute for Policy Studies, a think tank that analyzed the limitation in 2014, that would have been enough that year to buy dental insurance under the ACA for 262,000 Americans, or pay the silver plan deductibles for 28,000.

As part of an effort to rein in soaring executive pay, the ACA decreed that health insurance companies could deduct from their taxes only $500,000 of the pay of each top executive. That’s a tighter restriction than the limit imposed on other corporations, which is $1 million per executive. The ACA closed a loophole for insurance companies enjoyed by other corporations, which could deduct the cost of stock options and other “performance-based” pay; for insurance companies, the deduction cap is $500,000 per executive, period." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...307-story.html

Lovely.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Ready

^^^ Trump the populist leads efforts to take care of the little guy--if by 'little guy' you mean CEOs still working on their second billion.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM

People need to stop buying their Iphones and pay for their health coverage instead.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
People need to stop buying their Iphones and pay for their health coverage instead.
The full retail price of an Iphone would not cover one month of my Health Insurance Premiums.

But it could cover several years of yours.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 PM

Fact, the biggest transfer of wealth from the working poor to the rich in US history.

Carl
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Fact, the biggest transfer of wealth from the working poor to the rich in US history.

Carl
That's been going on for 40 years. And quite frankly the Democrats have been just as bad as the Republicans in that regard.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
And quite frankly the Democrats have been just as bad as the Republicans in that regard.
Nope, not even.

Carl
Old 03-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
That's been going on for 40 years. And quite frankly the Democrats have been just as bad as the Republicans in that regard.
Only in your fevered dreams.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Nope, not even.

Carl
Yes, even.

The dude in your avatar is rolling over in his grave at what the Democratic Party has become.