Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:38 AM
Jigsawed

Russia captures no.2 rank among foreign oil suppliers to US.

Despite!!!

Russia captures no.2 rank among foreign oil suppliers.

Any sympathy for Germany?

https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ppliers-to-u-s
Old 02-17-2022, 07:29 AM
Rational Anarchist

Not from me.

Have you ever noticed that we have had two major wars with Germany and the hard fighting Russians were on our side both times? They are no longer pinko commies, yet we are still fighting the Cold War. What's up with that?

Last edited by nailer; 02-17-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:42 AM
Rational Anarchist

Oil is a commodity as is wheat. We were helping to feed evil during Cold War One because it's all about the Benjamins. Same as it ever was and will be.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Not from me.

Have you ever noticed that we have had two major wars with Germany and the hard fighting Russians were on our side both times? They are no longer pinko commies, yet we are still fighting the Cold War. What's up with that?
So you're lining up with Carlson and tRump? Russia's no longer pinko commies but they are our adversaries.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Not from me.

The more I dig I am coming to feel that something is not together...what one sees is not what is.

There is a big noise led especially by Ted Cruz against Nordstream 2. The American shale people would like to get a chunk of the European gas market. They would have to do that by supplanting the Russians to some degree. There are several factors operating.

1) fast depletion rate of shale in the US.

2) Unhappiness of investors in the industry.

3) The price of US-supplied gas in Europe would in all likelihood be higher than that of the Russians.

To sell this European bound gas idea geopolitics is skillfully employed and Germany is shamed, and anyone asking reasonable questions is often labeled a Putin stooge.

The likely losers in all of this play are the American and European consumers.
Some Democrats are uneasy about the exporting of gas since it affects the local price but the gas lobby is powerful.

Putin's real fear re the Donbas...it might be less about protecting ethnic Russians and more about the possibility of an explosive growth of fracking in the area if the area is retaken by the Ukrainian government.

Zelensky who won as a peace candidate and the one most likely to make an agreement with the Russians was being pushed to capture the very rich shale area held by the rebels.

Throughout the length of the rebellion, it is believed that the Russians got rid of all independent pro-Russian nationalists.

https://euractiv.com/section/energy/...ry-in-ukraine/
Old 02-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
So you're lining up with Carlson and tRump? Russia's no longer pinko commies but they are our adversaries.
No.

Only if we make them.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:33 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The more I dig I am coming to feel that something is not together...what one sees is not what is.

There is a big noise led especially by Ted Cruz against Nordstream 2. The American shale people would like to get a chunk of the European gas market. They would have to do that by supplanting the Russians to some degree. There are several factors operating.

1) fast depletion rate of shale in the US.

2) Unhappiness of investors in the industry.

3) The price of US-supplied gas in Europe would in all likelihood be higher than that of the Russians.

To sell this European bound gas idea geopolitics is skillfully employed and Germany is shamed, and anyone asking reasonable questions is often labeled a Putin stooge.

The likely losers in all of this play are the American and European consumers.
Some Democrats are uneasy about the exporting of gas since it affects the local price but the gas lobby is powerful.

Putin's real fear re the Donbas...it might be less about protecting ethnic Russians and more about the possibility of an explosive growth of fracking in the area if the area is retaken by the Ukrainian government.

Zelensky who won as a peace candidate and the one most likely to make an agreement with the Russians was being pushed to capture the very rich shale area held by the rebels.

Throughout the length of the rebellion, it is believed that the Russians got rid of all independent pro-Russian nationalists.

https://euractiv.com/section/energy/...ry-in-ukraine/
You appear to have a good take on it. The name of the oil/gas game is greed. Better for our side to make the money than theirs. Although I end up losing money. What's up with that? Whose on my side? Certainly not our blues and reds. I know Putin isn't.

Last edited by nailer; 02-17-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:14 PM
Ready

Quote:
You appear to have a good take on it. The name of the oil/gas game is greed. Better for our side to make the money than theirs. Although I end up losing money. What's up with that? Whose on my side? Certainly not our blues and reds. I know Putin isn't.
Why would you expect anyone to ever be on your side? Isn't it always at bottom the war of all against all, with certain temporary alliances, and widespread deceptions deployed? In your view?

Do you think a polity organized to genuinely promote the common good is even possible, or is that pure myth?
Old 02-17-2022, 03:22 PM
Rational Anarchist

First hurdle is to reach a consensus of just what the common good is. Good luck with that.

Culture is fabric of delusion/illusion woven from the ever shifting bedrock of myth.

"People seem to be hardwired to get things wrong. They confuse opinion with fact, they tend to believe what everyone around them believes, and they are ready to die for the truth or whichever version of it they have clasped to their breast."

"History ... is a point of view, an attempt to impose order on events that are essentially chaotic."

BTW, even my own mother wasn't on my side. Well, at least not always. She never failed to make the same lame point about it being for my own good.

Last edited by nailer; 02-17-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
First hurdle is to reach a consensus of just what the common good is. Good luck with that.

Culture is fabric of delusion/illusion woven from the ever shifting bedrock of myth.

"People seem to be hardwired to get things wrong. They confuse opinion with fact, they tend to believe what everyone around them believes, and they are ready to die for the truth or whichever version of it they have clasped to their breast."

"History ... is a point of view, an attempt to impose order on events that are essentially chaotic."

BTW, even my own mother wasn't on my side. Well, at least not always. She never failed to make the same lame point about it being for my own good.
You sound like a member of the Texas State Board of Education.