Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
BTW, this is why they write laws like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lind-date.html

Should we be outraged about this as well?

Chas
Of course we should be outraged. Home invasions happen way too often. If one of them had shot and killed the home invading prick when he broke in, to protecting themselves, I would have been fine with it. It would have been legal in Oklahoma. Recently, it happened here, The renter shot and killed one invader. The other one will never walk again. Once again I have no problem with this killing to protect one's home.

To equate the Oklahoma tragedy with the stalking and murdering of an unarmed, innocent young man, walking home from the store, In his own neighborhood, is ridiculous.

The real problem is the corrupt police department that allowed Zimmerman to hide behind a "make my day" law. I heard the chief of police was going to sign off on this "matter" today and put it to bed. Really you have a dead man, killed by Zimmerman over a month ago, and you intend to do no investigation at all. How pathetic.

One other thing, it is not up to the police to interpret the law. They should have arrested Zimmerman, he should have been bought before a grand jury after an extensive police investigation. If the grand jury felt that no charges were warranted, then Zimmerman should go free. If he is charged and found not guilty in a court of law, then he should go free. That is how the system works. It is not up to the police to make any determination of innocence or guilt no matter what the law says.

I think the chief of police just shat his pants. The stench on this case is overwhelming.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Shame it had to come to this before this guy came under the microscope of public attention.

Barney
How much attention would it take to have stopped this guy? In France, they were watching that nut for years, and he still managed to kill a handful of people.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Of course we should be outraged. Home invasions happen way too often. If one of them had shot and killed the home invading prick when he broke in, to protecting themselves, I would have been fine with it. It would have been legal in Oklahoma. Recently, it happened here, The renter shot and killed one invader. The other one will never walk again. Once again I have no problem with this killing to protect one's home.

To equate the Oklahoma tragedy with the stalking and murdering of an unarmed, innocent young man, walking home from the store, In his own neighborhood, is ridiculous.

The real problem is the corrupt police department that allowed Zimmerman to hide behind a "make my day" law. I heard the chief of police was going to sign off on this "matter" today and put it to bed. Really you have a dead man, killed by Zimmerman over a month ago, and you intend to do no investigation at all. How pathetic.

One other thing, it is not up to the police to interpret the law. They should have arrested Zimmerman, he should have been bought before a grand jury after an extensive police investigation. If the grand jury felt that no charges were warranted, then Zimmerman should go free. If he is charged and found not guilty in a court of law, then he should go free. That is how the system works. It is not up to the police to make any determination of innocence or guilt no matter what the law says.

I think the chief of police just shat his pants. The stench on this case is overwhelming.
I thought Zimmerman was arrested, then released. I'm not familiar with the particulars of this case, and this has become a media driven frenzy.

But I do know one thing, due to my close association with the local police and the former prosecuting attorney.

The wheels of justice move mighty slow at times. Just waiting on autopsy results, reports from the crime lab, etc can take a long time.

And you can't proceed with a case until you have all of the evidence. Meantime, everybody is running around bitching that the cops ain't doing their job...which may or may not be the case.

A grand jury has been convened, so it looks like people are doing their job, and justice...or in the absence of that, legality...will be served.

Chas
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Did Zimmerman have a concealed weapon permit?
Yes, and he obtained it despite being charged with assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest in 2005. The case was reduced to a minor charge that was expunged. He has friends on the force, and is training to become a police officer.

Here is an interesting link. Not exactly Liberal tripe. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...se-murder.html They somewhat defend Zimmerman but think he should be charged with something like manslaughter or "just being stupid".
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I thought Zimmerman was arrested, then released. I'm not familiar with the particulars of this case, and this has become a media driven frenzy.

But I do know one thing, due to my close association with the local police and the former prosecuting attorney.

The wheels of justice move mighty slow at times. Just waiting on autopsy results, reports from the crime lab, etc can take a long time.

And you can't proceed with a case until you have all of the evidence. Meantime, everybody is running around bitching that the cops ain't doing their job...which may or may not be the case.

A grand jury has been convened, so it looks like people are doing their job, and justice...or in the absence of that, legality...will be served.

Chas
After the Feds stepped in.

The details are way to complex to sum up in short posts. One thing is a fact. Trayvon was tested for drugs, Zimmerman wasn't. The investigation is already compromised.

The Sanford police department Has a very checkered recent past. I look forward to learning more.

Read the link I just posted. It is interesting to see what defensive gun rights advocates are saying.

Oh, I know lots of prosecutors, public defenders, judges, and cops. They are personal friends, or my wife has represented them, keeping their ass' out of the ringer or in the money. I know how the process works. This one does not pass the smell test.

Man, I have some good stories to tell about lawyers, judges, and cops. I think that would be a great new thread. Some of it is very interesting. One involves my father in law, a prominent lawyer, law school professor, and an Assistant US Attorney that represented Eisenhower in the Little Rock Central High School segregation debacle in the 50's.

That was his early career. The accusation, conviction, and then the eventual acquittal for importing four tons of Columbian pot into the US is a really good story. Case law is still used today in drug trials.

Guess I just don't trust the legal system that much.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:

The details are way to complex to sum up in short posts. One thing is a fact. Trayvon was tested for drugs, Zimmerman wasn't. The investigation is already compromised.

The Sanford police department Has a very checkered recent past. I look forward to learning more.

Read the link I just posted. It is interesting to see what defensive gun rights advocates are saying.

Oh, I know lots of prosecutors, public defenders, judges, and cops. They are personal friends, or my wife has represented them, keeping their ass' out of the ringer or in the money. I know how the process works. This one does not pass the smell test.

Man, I have some good stories to tell about lawyers, judges, and cops. I think that would be a great new thread. Some of it is very interesting. One involves my father in law, a prominent lawyer, law school professor, and an Assistant US Attorney that represented Eisenhower in the Little Rock Central High School segregation debacle in the 50's.

That was his early career. The accusation, conviction, and then the eventual acquittal for importing four tons of Columbian pot into the US is a really good story. Case law is still used today in drug trials.

Tell the story.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
How much attention would it take to have stopped this guy? In France, they were watching that nut for years, and he still managed to kill a handful of people.
True in an open free society cases like these will happen. I would hope that when there are armed self appointed guards roaming any neighborhood more care will be taken from now on. Permits in my state are very easy to obtain, most opt for the life time issued one.

I have two neighbors who sometimes choose to mow their lawns strapped. One was an axillary officer until trying take over from the State/County Police at an accident scene. The other just likes showing off his guns.

You could come into my home and never know there are any guns around.

Also just think if this was reversed, if a Black man shot a White kid?

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 03-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Loyal Opposition

I was actually pretty impressed by the neighborhood watch program official from Dade County. When she appeared on NPR, she was emphatic that a properly run program screens folks with the characteristics that have been reported about this guy, that properly run programs are affiliated with local law enforcement, that participants are trained not to carry guns, and that they are trained to not follow suspects. They are the eyes and ears, but not the arms of the law.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Tell the story.
He has JJ, ask him for the link.

Of course, that would be like asking me where I put my "Arctic Socks" that I haven't worn for 20 years.

Chas
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I don't either, when you get right down to it.

It's like a gambling trip to Vegas. The game's rigged, and if you ain't one of the players, then you're one of the rubes.

I've seen dirty politics up close too. Not QUITE on the same level as you, but I was amazed.

I'd never make it in politics. I'd get pissed off and kill some sumbitch...right in front of God and everybody.

Let me take that back. I'd probably HIRE somebody to kill some sumbitch while nobody was looking.

I'm 58 yrs old, and slowly getting wiser. And to tell the truth, the only reason I'd feel bad is if I were to get caught...other than worrying about getting caught.

Perhaps Castle Doctrine should be a defense allowed in politics? If they're out to destroy you and take everything you have???

Chas