Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
...and I wonder why that is.
Its because we take them there for an easy, kid friendly meal. Its our fault. We're bad parents! No, they didn't see the commercials. They don't watch much besides the PBS kids channel. An interesting aside: now that my oldest daughter is on a gluten - free diet, we don't go to Mickey D's nearly as much. The highlight of the trip used to be the french fries, until we discovered that there is an additive with gluten that is used in their french fries.

Quote:
BTW, aren't you the same fella who proposed making people pay health insurance premiums in accordance with their lifestyle choices (diet, alcohol, smoking)?
Yup, that's me.

Quote:
Yup, I do.

Quote:
There are natural alternatives to these dangerous substances and always have been. Their primary purpose is to increase the shelf life and decrease refrigeration requirements of processed foods (primarily baked goods). It seems to me we can get rid of trans fats and eat fresher, more healthy real food as a result. What's not to like?
A nanny government that over-reaches into any aspect of our lives they so choose, where they are not specifically entitled to do so.

Quote:
So we should protest the government regulating such substances while acquiescing to having private companies jack up our insurance rates based upon their views as to what impacts our health. Interesting.
The health insurance angle on this is for another thread - don't want to yank this one too far off topic. Suffice to say that we elected to hitch our wagon to a particular horse (medical insurance), and now we want to shoot the horse because we've decided to load too much crap in the wagon.

Last edited by whell; 10-28-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Area Man

It seems to me the whole argument boils down to self-governance vs. government intervention.
And, related to this topic, in both cases I am compelled to ask; How's that workin' out?

Dave
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Resident octogenarian

So where was the nanny government when Pharma was using that chinese ingredient in Heparin, and nearly killing people?